Sad to say, calling all draft gurus (6 Viewers)

I know you don't like Nick and Trip. But I have no idea why. You have a tendency to like or not like media and players and won't change your mind in the face of evidence otherwise. So believe what you want.

But what have they been wrong about with Young, Miller, and Penning? I'm sure you will claim they said Miller and Young would be amazing and that Penning would be terrible but they didn't say that.

Beyond that, being wrong about player evaluations has nothing to do with having inside information about who Payton would have picked.
No I do like them , they just are not that accurate as they used to be. Nick RAVED about Miller all offseason , said he would take carries away from AK and be the primary ball carrier by end of season. All both of them could do was praise Young during TC they were predicting double digit sacks and disrupting the backfield. As far as Penning they wanted him benched and Udoh starting. He was the joke of EVERY podcast. Now Ypung get thrown away like a rag doll, Miller took months to see the field and Penning is doing quite well as good as our # 14 pick Fuaga
It's also a bit far fetched that a HC leaves months before the draft and Nick knows who he was going to pick before the draft even unfolds

The bar isn’t that high currently but I think Cam Ward is the best QB prospect by a distance. If we have a top 5 pick I’d be looking to draft him, assuming we have a new HC and he’s their guy.

Jeanty is going to be an elite RB but we have way too many needs to be taking a running back top 10.

This is the year for Loomis to trade down, if it’s an available option and build up picks. It’s harder to miss when you have more tries.

We have so many needs that going BPA on each pick should be the way.
I love landing top prospects, but I would be in favor of trading back too. We are not one player away. Unless we absolutely love a QB, I would try to acquire more picks.

I'm a huge Jeanty fan as he reminds me quite a bit of Kamara. However, it's hard to justify taking a RB with their 1st pick. I'd also mention that Kendre Miller was one of the few bright spots in our last game and that the next couple months will be huge for him to show if he can be the guy at RB. Early signs in his debut this year were positive. Hopefully he continues to build on that in the coming games (and obviously stay healthy). Then again, if Miller gets hurt again/struggles, maybe going after Jeanty isn't the worst thing either.

There are a number of ways the team could go in the draft. If a guy like Tetairoa McMillan was on the board when we pick in the 1st round, it would be hard to pass him up. He has the skillset to be a top tier #1 WR in the NFL and would give us a heck of a trio with Olave and Shaheed. He would also bring some much needed size at WR for us.

Our OL could definitely add some depth. Our tackles (surprisingly) have been playing well this year, so that might be a need we address on day 2 with the interior OL. Assuming Penning continues to play well at RT for us as the season goes on. Fuaga is looking like a lock at LT for us for years to come.

Otherwise, arguably our biggest need is a top tier DE. Young and Granderson haven't really taken that step I was hoping to see from them. They've generated some pressures, but haven't turned them into sacks. Foskey and Turner also look like wasted picks so far. Another DT also wouldn't be a bad idea.

Well for one QB is not something you settle with.... the main goal for any upcoming draft should be a QB.... then trade down for more picks....then BOP hopefully in a position of need...

On a side note having this eary feeling if Loomis/DA are still around next year, keep thinking they might try to grab Watson after Cleveland cuts ties with him? Not sure the cap hit Cleveland would take.....

Draft guru?
Half of us including myself are 90% percent wrong on the prospects.

However, the Saints missed out on taking Brian Branch and Sam LaPorta though. Lol

I only checked out a handful of prospects.
I was begging for Branch that year. Stupid saints just never listen to ME :cry:

No I do like them , they just are not that accurate as they used to be. Nick RAVED about Miller all offseason , said he would take carries away from AK and be the primary ball carrier by end of season. All both of them could do was praise Young during TC they were predicting double digit sacks and disrupting the backfield. As far as Penning they wanted him benched and Udoh starting. He was the joke of EVERY podcast. Now Ypung get thrown away like a rag doll, Miller took months to see the field and Penning is doing quite well as good as our # 14 pick Fuaga
It's also a bit far fetched that a HC leaves months before the draft and Nick knows who he was going to pick before the draft even unfolds

For someone who likes them, you sure spend a lot of time criticizing every word they say.

Nick said that Miller has that kind of talent. And he does. Problem is that he can't stay healthy and he hasn't gotten the offense down yet. And what they said is that he has the talent to handle carries and take the load of of AK, not that he was better than AK or would take touches away from him.

And yes they did say Young was having a great camp and he was having a great camp. They did not predict anything about what he was going to produce. And they didn't say they wanted Penning benched. They said he did not look good in camp or the first preseason game and he was a major question mark. Which was all true.

This is all part of the hot take culture where people expect people who cover teams to give hot takes and predictions.

But, again, what does that have to do with having inside information about what Payton would have done with that draft pick?

If the Saints have the opportunity an do their homework, they should consider looking at a QB in the first round; Below are this years division leaders and when their QB's were drafted; They're a few late round QB's that currently start in the NFL, but not many

League standings:

Buffalo: Josh Allen, Round 1

Pittsburgh: Russell Wilson, Round 3

Houston: C.J. Stroud, Round 1

Kansas City: Patrick Mahomes: Round 1

Washington: Jayden Daniels, Round 1

Detroit: Jared Goff, Round 1

Tampa Bay: Baker Mayfied, Round 1

Seattle: Geno Smith, Round 2

It’s only October, but I’m interested in hearing about folks’ views on the draft. I don’t watch college football and so have no skin in the game but believe strongly that the Saints have so many needs that they should go BPA in every round and not trade up. They almost never trade down, so I expect that policy to continue.

The only caveat is that in my view, QB and CB are settled (unless either Lattimore or Adebo are lost/ traded) because those positions have both capable veterans and younger players. Some may disagree with that assessment, and that’s fine.

So, should the Saints go BPA or identify certain prospects and who are those prospects, with the understanding that the college season is even earlier than the NFL season?

What positions have a lot of depth in the upcoming draft class? By contrast, there have been weak edge rusher classes, weak OL classes, weak QB classes, etc. That’s a very important consideration.
BPA from top to bottom. No trading up. Trade down if available. [END OF DRAFT]

Trade the first round pick for a first next year and seconds and thirds, then do the same with both firsts the following year. Then, the following year, they'll have the ammo to get the top quarterback (Archie?) and will have built a solid team with the seconds and thirds acquired by the trades.

Love Cam Ward. He’s a culture changer.

I’ve heard a lot of great things about him behind the scenes that have really sold me on him as a QB and leader. He can be a bit loose with the ball at times, but I’d take all his positives in a heartbeat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom