Saints' 1967 Helmet Question (1 Viewer)

Saints 4 life

⚜ Falcons Suck ⚜
Reaction score
Did the Saints play the 1967 season with these helmets? A single white stripe?

i Don’t remember. They’ve never worn them as a throwback

Confused. There's this photo,

then there's this with 2 white stripes with a black stripe in the middle,

It's on the Sports Illustrated cover. Haven't seen a game pic with that stripe yet.

It's on the Sports Illustrated cover. Haven't seen a game pic with that stripe yet.

1551652064349.png

Me neither. That's why I'd like to know if they actually played a season of football in these helmets. I can't find anything.

Me neither. That's why I'd like to know if they actually played a season of football in these helmets. I can't find anything.
I'm thinking it's possible that the Sports Illustrated pics were taken before the season started. Helmet striping is one of the last things they do. Adding the black stripe would have been the last step. They may not have finalized the uniform for the first game.

Notice that the helmet had a wide white stripe and a black stripe in the middle. A wide white stripe like the one on the SI cover.

I'm thinking it's possible that the Sports Illustrated pics were taken before the season started. Helmet striping is one of the last things they do. Adding the black stripe would have been the last step. They may not have finalized the uniform for the first game.

Notice that the helmet had a wide white stripe and a black stripe in the middle. A wide white stripe like the one on the SI cover.

I'm thinking this is the official 1967 helmet, not the one white stripe helmet.

Looks like John Gilliam was wearing blk/wht/blk stripe on his kick off return for toucbhdown in first game. I wonder if the single white stripe was something they wore in the preseason. I've seen the single white stripe in multiple pictures but no actual game pictures... at least not yet!

Here's the answer, including a note:
Jim Taylor only played for the Saints in 1967 and part of the preseason in 1968. Here's a pic of him in a 1967 home game vs. the Eagles with the wht/blk/wht helmet stripes that no one else on the team wore until the third game of the next season.

So, except for Taylor, the 1967 Saints wore blk/wht/blk helmet stripes.
Pics with other players wearing that combo are from 1968, Game 3 and beyond.

Here's the answer, including a note:
Jim Taylor only played for the Saints in 1967 and part of the preseason in 1968. Here's a pic of him in a 1967 home game vs. the Eagles with the wht/blk/wht helmet stripes that no one else on the team wore until the third game of the next season.

So, except for Taylor, the 1967 Saints wore blk/wht/blk helmet stripes.
Pics with other players wearing that combo are from 1968, Game 3 and beyond.
So, during the 67' season only Taylor wore the 2 white stripe/ 1 black striped helmet? Then in 68', the rest of the team all wore the 2 white striped helmets but not until the 3rd game of the season?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom