Saints and Charles Grant begin extension talks ... {merged} (1 Viewer)

Whats so wrong with waiting till after the season? If he truly wants to stay in NO (as many people say he does) then it shouldn't be a problem.

The only potential problem I see is if we let him get on the open market, and a club with cap room who's also desperate for a veterna DE, gives him a ridiculous package we can't or won't match.. It's happened many times.

Of course, Loomis and Payton could care less what we think about contract negotiaons with players, so it's really a moot point.

Grant playing at a high level in a contract year... who would have thunk it!!! Coincidence, I think not.

Dude has played at a high level for all but one year. During that one year Joe Horn, Deuce, Brooks, Beerman, DH, LCB and about 10 other players had their worst year as a Saint. I know many were injured like Horn, Deuce and Beerman but even before the injury they were all having very bad years. So if you are going to hold this against Grant you should hold it against the rest of them.

Was the contract year extra motivation? Sure.
Has he performed at a high level in the past? Yep.
Has he taken on a role as a leader on and off the field? Yep
Am I worried about his production in the future? Nope

Saints and Grant in contract talks

saw this posted in another message board. Don't have insider so I can't check it out myself. Anyone who does have insider, can you check it out?

{mod edit - direct quotes of pay sites not allowed. Must paraphrase. Basically it says that Grant and the Saints have quietly begun contract negotiations which shows that he has overcome his poor 2005 season performance. It is also listed as a rumor.}

Last edited by a moderator:
saw this posted in another message board. Don't have insider so I can't check it out myself. Anyone who does have insider, can you check it out?

{mod edit - direct quotes of pay sites not allowed. Must paraphrase. Basically it says that Grant and the Saints have quietly begun contract negotiations which shows that he has overcome his poor 2005 season performance. It is also listed as a rumor.}

If you're asking, "is it accurate," it is.

It's a Rumor so im taking this topic lightly, We should sign him to a conditional contract, if he exceeds expectations the Beef of his contract is paid to him, i don't think he should get up front money and a fat check come end of the season unless he plays his heart out and put up desired stats, thats expected from a Elite Defensive player.

Just to clarify. This is listed in ESPN.com/Insider in 2 places. One is "Rumor Central", where it is obviously listed as a rumor (hence my comments in the mod edits), but it is also listed in Len Pasquarelli's "Tip Sheet" where it does not say that it is a rumor. Both are written up using the exact same text..

Rumor Central

Link for Len Pasquarelli already provided in an earlier post.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Awesome news!!!!

Now all they need to do is get that other bookend wrapped up longterm..
Charles & Will are two of the fastest DE's i've ever seen with the
Saints.. hate to breakup a set.. LoL!!.. those '2' are friggin' beasts!!!!

NWSaint.

I don't like this. His mind needs to be on football, not his extension during the season. Let this work itself out after the seasons over.

I guess I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think he's gonna miss any practices to crunch contract numbers. His agent will say, "This is where we are...it is/isn't what we want." Then CG will sign it or not. I doubt on third and long he'll be daydreaming about clauses in his contract. JMO

Any solid info on what our cap status will be going into next season (excluding the possible Grant signing)?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom