Saints Best Draft Picks Under Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

Reggie has to be up there for the emotional lift even more than any on field production
he did create a lot of buzz when drafted. not only from the fans but from the media also. but to be honest, I was more excited signing Drew than Reggie. I was a Drew fan when he was at Purdue.

Evans (4th rd)- Colston (7th rd)- Bushrod (4th rd) - Thomas (2nd rd) - Armstead (3rd rd)

Kamara - Graham ( great 3rd round picks ) Cam Jordan - Bush ( the best 1st rd selections)

1. CGM
2. Ram
3. Cam Jordan
4. Kamara
5. (my opinion) CGJ

Who is CGM ??

Based on where they were picked and their production.

1. CGM
2. Evans (4th round)
3. Colston (7th round)
4. Kamara (3rd round)
5. Nicks (5th round)

If you had a do-over again in the draft, teams would consider picking CGM #1 overall, so that's why I list him first. You could make an argument for any of the top 3 here to be the best draft pick ever based on ROI.

Selections like Cam Jordan aren't warranted because he's played about where he was picked. So if you could think of ROI as a scale that pivots around 1.0 (Cam would be just about 1.0) then you could see even a Carl Nicks had a much greater ROI than Cam. Add in the huge bonus he was a significant factor in us winning a Super Bowl and the divide there gets greater between he and Cam.

Same thing with Ram. He was a first round pick playing about as expected from that pick. ROI = 1.0 essentially.

Honorable mention: Jimmy Graham, Zach Strief, Terron Armstead.

Last edited:
Reggie has to be up there for the emotional lift even more than any on field production
Hmmmm....... Can't quite buy that.

Certainly couldn't consider him anywhere close in this top 5. He was the 2nd pick in the draft and played his career like a second round pick instead. No amount of intangibles could elevate his status in that manner.

When I’m looking at best draft picks I look at guys that were taken later in the draft. No first rounders or second rounders will make my list cause a lot of the times those guys fall to us. Can’t guard Mike was a no brainer pick and I couldn’t believe he fell to us. Cam Jordan was another no brainer.

1. Marques Colston (7th)
2. Jahri Evans (4th)
3. Zach Strief (7th)
4. Alvin Kamara (3rd)
5. Jimmy Graham (3rd)
6. Terron Armstead (3rd)
7. Thomas Morestead (5th)
8. Carl Nicks (5th)
9. Jermon Bushrod (4th)
10. David Onyemata (4th)

Honorable mentions: (some didn’t make it here though): Kenny Stills (5th), Akiem Hicks (3rd), Rob Ninkovich (5th), Al Woods (4th), Tyeler Davison (5th), Al-Quadin Muhammed (6th)

When I’m looking at best draft picks I look at guys that were taken later in the draft. No first rounders or second rounders will make my list cause a lot of the times those guys fall to us. Can’t guard Mike was a no brainer pick and I couldn’t believe he fell to us. Cam Jordan was another no brainer.

1. Marques Colston (7th)
2. Jahri Evans (4th)
3. Zach Strief (7th)
4. Alvin Kamara (3rd)
5. Jimmy Graham (3rd)
6. Terron Armstead (3rd)
7. Thomas Morestead (5th)
8. Carl Nicks (5th)
9. Jermon Bushrod (4th)
10. David Onyemata (4th)

Honorable mentions: (some didn’t make it here though): Kenny Stills (5th), Akiem Hicks (3rd), Rob Ninkovich (5th), Al Woods (4th), Tyeler Davison (5th), Al-Quadin Muhammed (6th)
Your honorable mention list is mind boggling.

Muhammed? Wth.

Al Woods was a total flop of a pick. He's only recently become somewhat productive with another team.

Ninkovich was traded away before he did anything impactful.

Your honorable mention list is mind boggling.

Muhammed? Wth.

Al Woods was a total flop of a pick. He's only recently become somewhat productive with another team.

Ninkovich was traded away before he did anything impactful.

I’m just going off the pick that was made and the career they had. All those were good picks as we saw the talent in them. They just didn’t stick around, but it had nothing to due with their draft status.

For a sixth round pick you usually just looking for depth and I think Muhammed has shown to be a quality NFL defensive end. I wish we still had him. The same can be said for Al Woods who has been playing in the league a decade after he was selected in 2010. Getting rid of Ninkovich was one of coaches biggest mistakes in his eyes

Last edited:
sorry. didn't know it was just later round guys. I put the best picks regardless of round picked. can't argue with any name on any post though.

Based on where they were picked and their production.

1. CGM
2. Evans (4th round)
3. Colston (7th round)
4. Kamara (3rd round)
5. Nicks (5th round)

If you had a do-over again in the draft, teams would consider picking CGM #1 overall, so that's why I list him first. You could make an argument for any of the top 3 here to be the best draft pick ever based on ROI.

Selections like Cam Jordan aren't warranted because he's played about where he was picked. So if you could think of ROI as a scale that pivots around 1.0 (Cam would be just about 1.0) then you could see even a Carl Nicks had a much greater ROI than Cam. Add in the huge bonus he was a significant factor in us winning a Super Bowl and the divide there gets greater between he and Cam.

Same thing with Ram. He was a first round pick playing about as expected from that pick. ROI = 1.0 essentially.

Honorable mention: Jimmy Graham, Zach Strief, Terron Armstead.

I don't know. If we can find a Cam at #24.... we win the draft. And RR at #32? Lucky for us SanFran blew up our LB choice. I do agree with CGM being a #1 overall pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom