Saints Sam Mills selected as HOF Finalist (1 Viewer)

Yep Ken Stabler is in the HoF as a Saint...the only one not listed as a Saint is Dick Stanfil because he went into the HoF as a player (not a coach). Still I see no reason we cant take pride in Dick being in the HoF.

I find it more interesting that Sam Mills made the cut over Patrick Willis.

Here is hoping as a cut to 5 is brutal...
My Top 5
1​
S Troy Polamalu
2​
Steve Atwater, S
3​
Isaac Bruce, WR
4​
MLB Sam Mills
5​
Steve Hutchinson, G

From the HOF Website...

Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in bold. In cases where a player contributed about equally and/or in a major way to two or more clubs – he is listed in bold under both clubs (ie. Gary Zimmerman is listed with both the Vikings and the Broncos as his primary teams). Hall of Famers who spent only a minor portion of their career with any club are listed under that club in normal font.

For example, here is the Saints HOF listing:

IMG_20200102_202321_485.jpg

FYI, Morten Andersen is listed in bold under the Falcons too.

Screw the Falcons. Andersen basically "went in" as a Saint, as his induction speech was largely about his coming to America and his start with the Saints.

Screw the Falcons. Andersen basically "went in" as a Saint, as his induction speech was largely about his coming to America and his start with the Saints.
He thanked some members of the failcons organization its a career achievement it shouldnt be otherwise.

No need to be so territorial. There's enough of the little big man for both teams to honor.

Agreed. He'll go in like he should with both the Saints and the Panthers listed in the HoF

I don’t disagree... but the freakin Panties erected a statue in the guy’s honor, and adopted his saying as their team mantra

Don't get mad at the Panthers for honoring Sam Mills. Get mad at your own team for not honoring him yet if you want to be mad at someone.

Agreed. He'll go in like he should with both the Saints and the Panthers listed in the HoF

Absolutely. But he'll be getting in for his 9 years in New Orleans...not his 3 years in Carolina.

Why are you disrespecting a great man by not honoring his whole career? This isn't a Saints vs Panthers things. This is honoring Mills thing.

I'm not disrespecting anyone. 5 of his 6 pro bowls and 3 of his 4 all-pros were in New Orleans. He was part of the greatest linebacker corps in NFL history in New Orleans. His 9 years in New Orleans are good enough to put him in the HOF. His three years in Carolina are not. I would expect you to feel the same way about Steve Smith and the Ravens if he were ever up for the HOF because it's the same situation.

I'm not disrespecting anyone. 5 of his 6 pro bowls and 3 of his 4 all-pros were in New Orleans. He was part of the greatest linebacker corps in NFL history in New Orleans. His 9 years in New Orleans are good enough to put him in the HOF. His three years in Carolina are not.
You disrespect him by honoring only 9 years in Saints uniform and not his time in Carolina.

Same as a Panther fan dismissing his time as a Saint. They're not disrespecting the Saints or Saints fans for doing that. They are disrespecting Mills.

Saints fan dismissing his time as a Panther doesn't disrespect the Panthers or the Panther fans, it disrespect Mills.

He was a great man for the Saints and a great man for the Panthers. I enjoyed watching him play as a Panther and im grateful for what he meant to the team as a player and a coach. I respect his legacy with both teams.

Hall of Fame is for career not picking and choosing years. But you do you.

Edit due to your edit about steve:
He would go in for his entire career. It would be wrong of me to dismiss his time as a Raven. It is the same situation. Honor the career, not time periods of it that I like better.

You disrespect him by honoring only 9 years in Saints uniform and not his time in Carolina.

Same as a Panther fan dismissing his time as a Saint. They're not disrespecting the Saints or Saints fans for doing that. They are disrespecting Mills.

Saints fan dismissing his time as a Panther doesn't disrespect the Panthers or the Panther fans, it disrespect Mills.

He was a great man for the Saints and a great man for the Panthers. I enjoyed watching him play as a Panther and im grateful for what he meant to the team as a player and a coach. I respect his legacy with both teams.

Hall of Fame is for career not picking and choosing years. But you do you.

All I'm saying is if he never played with the Saints...You only had his three years with the Panthers, that's not a HOF career. So the people on your board crowing about he "should go in as a panther" even though that's not an option in the NFL are idiots. He wouldn't get in without his time in New Orleans. He could get in without his time in Carolina.

All I'm saying is if he never played with the Saints...You only had his three years with the Panthers, that's not a HOF career. So the people on your board crowing about he "should go in as a panther" even though that's not an option in the NFL are idiots. He wouldn't get in without his time in New Orleans. He could get in without his time in Carolina.

So people on a Panthers board are being idiots. I already stated my position on here that either side is wrong for dismissing either part of his career.

Looks like some people are idiots here too.

Congrats to Mills. I hope he gets in. He was a great NFL player, coach, and man.

So people on a Panthers board are being idiots. I already stated my position on here that either side is wrong for dismissing either part of his career.

Looks like some people are idiots here too.

Congrats to Mills. I hope he gets in. He was a great NFL player, coach, and man.

I can tell you I feel the same about players who earned their HOF jackets on other teams and finished out their careers here. I don't consider Doug Atkins or Jim Taylor or Hank Stram or Ken Stabler or Earl Campbell to be real Saints Hall of Famers. I get it's tougher for the Panthers because you have a young franchise that really doesn't have any history yet. Once someone like Kuechly gets there you'll feel differently.

I can tell you I feel the same about players who earned their HOF jackets on other teams and finished out their careers here. I don't consider Doug Atkins or Jim Taylor or Hank Stram or Ken Stabler or Earl Campbell to be real Saints Hall of Famers. I get it's tougher for the Panthers because you have a young franchise that really doesn't have any history yet. Once someone like Kuechly gets there you'll feel differently.

As I said before, I have no problem with both teams claiming Mills as their own. He was a great linebacker when he played for the Saints. He was a great leader of the team when he was with the Panthers. He helped give the Saints defense an identity with the Dome Patrol. He helped give a young Panthers organization identity with "Keep Pounding." He was a fantastic player for both teams. If he gets in, both teams will be listed--and I am completely okay with that.

What he did for the Panthers fighting cancer is far more remarkable than all the legendary things he did here (even the Handoff TD vs the Jets which I saw live at my first attended NFL game).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom