Saints Sean Payton opens up about why he left the Saints (merged) (2 Viewers)

27 completions for 177 yards is a horrible day. Captain Check Down doesn't win games without the #1 defense.
Jeudy and Patrick's injuries hurt them for sure (if Trautman's 5-34 is leading your receiving corps, it's bad news), but Russell Wilson might also just be washed up.

Jeudy and Patrick's injuries hurt them for sure (if Trautman's 5-34 is leading your receiving corps, it's bad news), but Russell Wilson might also just be washed up.
Their back up quarterback seems to be better at running Payton offense. I watched their last preseason game and he was efficient doing it.

Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Kansas City are smaller markets, but held in high esteem by Park Avenue. Nothing about the GB swoon during the 70s and 80s changes that fact.
But that sorta proves my point that the team doesn’t matter.
Pittsburgh wasn’t a marquee franchise before the 70s. They were a horrible franchise for forty years.
As stated, GB was so terrible for three decades.
Even more recently. The Niners weren’t the Niners before Bill Walsh. They were a mom and pop type of franchise.

I'm not convinced that Payton isn't washed up. Not that he's a not a play caller anymore but look at how much talent DA was able to bring in, in just 2 years with the same cap issues that Payton had to deal with. He's still holding on to players like LJH and Trautman, who are not very good.

I'm not convinced that Payton isn't washed up. Not that he's a not a play caller anymore but look at how much talent DA was able to bring in, in just 2 years with the same cap issues that Payton had to deal with. He's still holding on to players like LJH and Trautman, who are not very good.
He thinks he can find diamonds in the rough and save money and then spend up on a few players.. but he's only about 50% on doing that and he's too stubborn to admit when he's wrong and move on.

He thinks he can find diamonds in the rough and save money and then spend up on a few players.. but he's only about 50% on doing that and he's too stubborn to admit when he's wrong and move on.

I think that's it. I remember after DA drafted Olave that he didn't see a need in drafting a WR that high.

You may be right. One of Payton's flaws was him falling in love with project guys or undrafted guys. Sometimes, he did find diamonds in the rough like Pierre Thomas but other times, those guys were overlooked for a reason (LJH, Trautman, Arnold, TommyLee). I don't think Payton was entirely propped up by Brees (after all, Brees didn't become Drew Brees, first ballot hall of famer, until he started working with Payton) but Brees could mask a lot of flaws.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom