Should teams go for it on 4th down more often? (1 Viewer)

Personally? I'd go for it on 4th EVERY TIME The SAINTS are out of a good chance FG but not backed up beyond our own 40. So from Our 40 on in to the opponent's 35 or 40 depending on our kicker's comfortable zone to nail it. What often will KILL going for it on 4th? Off side's penalties! Those are daggers which usually pins you back too far or deflates the TEAM's momentum to make that play and have it a success! I don't see where 2nd and 15 is any different than 4th and 15 if you are between Our 40 and their 35 or around there! The pressure seems to always be on the "D" in those situations and I'd stay away from bunching up the line using motions to fill the side I'm running on or throwing toward as it just clogs up the space with too many bodies flying around. Spread things out, take a good look and have options worked out ahead of time for what to try to accomplish! I LIKE putting PRESSURE on the other team ALWAYS! Besides, shows your "Defense" just how much we believe in them too! I think making it part of the scheme it a GOOD THING! Dangerous! Lethal and Legendary! (Thanks Kwon!) GEAUX SAINTS GEAUX!
I generally agree. There are exceptions, of course, depending on the weather conditions and the flow of the game. But once you cross midfield, as long as it’s not a 4th and long, the risk/reward of keeping the ball makes up for the field position you'd potentially give up.

It kills me when a team punts from the 40 and gets a touchback. I'd much rather try to keep the ball than give it up for 20 yards of field position. Plus, if you're playing against a high powered offense, they can get right back to where you were punting in a play or two.

After ambush it is impossible for me to ever contemplate Sean Payton as a coach that could be considered risk averse. I think Sean Payton is a master of calculated risk and considering all the variables: field position, hashmark, do I have a play in the game plan, personnel on both sides, time left in the game, momentum, and current score. I think the advent of high end data analytics make coaches elect to go for it on 4th down more because the data is quickly available to consider the above data to put a percentage in a coach's headset. The decision should not be did we get the first down, but was it the right decision to attempt the first down. When we hear Jameis Winston say Drew Brees told him it is about the decision not the outcome. I hear Sean Payton telling Drew Brees it is about the decision not the outcome.

Statistically, yes, unless you're adding job security numbers in the mix.

For the fun of the game, yes.

But obviously coaches have decided what usually wins them most games and little by little that’s why all teams stick to a certain wheelhouse of what they’re willing to try.

NFL would have to re structure some rules in order to help coaches feel like it’s a good idea to ‘go for it’ more often.

I wish we could see more trick plays and such. Fans of the game need to see fun stuff like that.

But I understand why we don’t see it much too

I’m all for it as long as we’re on their 40 or better. To me, going for it on 4th is dictated by your defense, good or bad. You either feel like you have to because the defense is struggling or you feel like you can because you trust that if you don’t pick it up, the defense will hold up.

I would assume no one is advocating for what Green Bay did very early in the game inside their own 35 yard line?

Yes, but it’s really a field position thing. On the opponent’s 40, for example, it’s a gimme in my opinion.

Im pretty sure there’s a high school in Ohio or Iowa somewhere that has never punted. Crazy.
Arkansas. Kevin Kelley from Little Rock's Pulaski Academy. They won 9 State championships using the strategy. Recent article talks about the coach moving up to the college ranks:

SFIAH

Im pretty sure there’s a high school in Ohio or Iowa somewhere that has never punted. Crazy.
Arkansas. Kevin Kelley from Little Rock's Pulaski Academy. They won 9 State championships using the strategy. Recent article talks about the coach moving up to the college ranks:

SFIAH

Does your d suck does their d suck I don't think it's ever automatic. Cincy opened the door for mn when they did it last week.

It seems to me that when a defense makes a stop on 3rd down they are conditioned to feel the challenge is over. Then when an offense stays on the field they seem to have the strategic advantage and (seemingly) convert the first down at a high rate. The data may prove otherwise but that is how it feels to me.

It seems to me that when a defense makes a stop on 3rd down they are conditioned to feel the challenge is over. Then when an offense stays on the field they seem to have the strategic advantage and (seemingly) convert the first down at a high rate. The data may prove otherwise but that is how it feels to me.
I think this is a big part of it, to me. But, if it is known that a team goes for it every 4th down, that element is either lost or diluted.

I would say 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, depending on field position of course, would keep defenses guessing.

the way the defense was playing it made it easier for Payton to say go for it. its always good to go for it on fourth, until you don't make it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom