Skip Bayless Leaving Fox Sports (1 Viewer)

I thought (maybe hoped?) he left 4 or 5 years ago.
I remember reading an online article or YT feature that suggested Bayless departure from ESPN was more then a tad bit bitter, acrimonious, and that many of his then-ESPN colleagues wouldn't be sad or too broken up to see him leave. I've heard more then a few rumors circulating over the years, even as far back as the early 80's when he was a Cowboys beat reporter for the Dallas Morning News that he was egotistical, snotty, swarmy and at times, could be very difficult to work with.

It's more accepted now, but 35-40 years ago, his assertive, obnoxious "fanboy" reporting style of journalism didnt exactly win him friends with more old-school, professional sports journalism who believed more in the idea of impartiality, objectivity and less implicit bias inserted towards their interview subjects and columns.

If you compare Bayless form of journalism in regards to a former beat reporter/columnist like Randy Holloway of the Dallas Morning News, while Holloway could be boastful, proud and over-hyping Dallas Cowboys during his career, he still maintained a pretense, a decent modicum sometimes of journalistic credibility and fairness in calling out and criticizing Cowboys FO and ownership when they screwed up. Bayless, by contrast ,sometimes comes across like a barely-containable "fan boy" in that Jerry Jones entire ownership tenure had been mostly error-free and spotless. Bayless' mindset of what he perceives the Cowboys to be yearly in terms of expectations and success is still stuck somewhere in the mid-90's. I don't think or believe he will ever truly accept that their at best, a good team every 2-3 years, they win a NFC EAST title, then lose in WC or Div. rounds, then go flat and become mediocre or terrible for another 5-6 years. He believes that before he eventually dies, Jerry Jones will somehow will the Cowboys to another SB appearance and win based around his dictates alone and prove Jimmy Johnson wrong after over 30 years he could do it by himself.

He's always been a Cowboy fanboy and a blowhard, armchair quarterback. What sunk him was his complete and total disrespect to Shannon Sharpe on air, who has played in the NFL, bled, been injured, a Super Bowl Champion AND in the Hall of Fame!

Skip went after him to defend his then love of Tom Brady and completely attacked and disrespected a man who has earned his proverbial stripes and who can examine the game from a champion players point of view versus a fanboy. Completely wrong on all levels.

Every since Shannon Sharpe left, we see who the creative voice, the attraction and the authority of the game and other sports was. Skip Bayless is side show and nothing more. I didn't care for him while he was with Sharpe and now, I really can't stand the man. Let him go back to Dallas and toil on that region. The country is done with him......

Straight to the trash heap of sports media history!!

On a separate note, his brother is an AMAZING CHEF!! Rick Bayless!
I've know Rick & his wife(I sat with Deann when Rick won his James Beard Award!) for decades & had never known that idiot was his brother. They hadn't spoken since childhood!

Straight to the trash heap of sports media history!!

On a separate note, his brother is an AMAZING CHEF!! Rick Bayless!
I've know Rick & his wife(I sat with Deann when Rick won his James Beard Award!) for decades & had never known that idiot was his brother. They hadn't spoken since childhood!
Donā€™t blame him, I would distance myself from Skip too

He should just leave sports.

And he still better hope he never runs into Troy Aikman in a dark Alley

Last edited:
He should just leave sports.

And he still better hope he never runs into Troy Aikman in a dark Alley
It's a nice example of mental wish-fulfillment but I highly doubt even if Troy Aikman were to run into Skip Bay less into a mostly empty bar in Dallas or anywhere else, he'd punch him in the face because knowing Bayless' weasly, cowardly and vindictative personality, he'd sue Aikman for every last cent in his bank account, regardless of how huge and overly wide public sentiment might be in Aikman's favor in any such civil lawsuit. Plus, even in a mostly empty bar, there's still hotel cameras watching and keeping view of almost every angle, plus there's the odd bartender and a few customers who will see it and not understand nor care about the context behind Aikman's motivation or actions, so no.

Skip Bayless may be a loud-mouthed, idiotic, Cowboys fanboy "talking head" but if Aikman truly wanted his revenge for Skip's past inflammatory remarks, Payless wouldn't be so stupid or careless as to let him have it in a shut-off, completely private setting of his choosing where he can finally let off decades of pent-up rage, hostility in a physical manner.

It's a nice example of mental wish-fulfillment but I highly doubt even if Troy Aikman were to run into Skip Bay less into a mostly empty bar in Dallas or anywhere else, he'd punch him in the face because knowing Bayless' weasly, cowardly and vindictative personality, he'd sue Aikman for every last cent in his bank account, regardless of how huge and overly wide public sentiment might be in Aikman's favor in any such civil lawsuit. Plus, even in a mostly empty bar, there's still hotel cameras watching and keeping view of almost every angle, plus there's the odd bartender and a few customers who will see it and not understand nor care about the context behind Aikman's motivation or actions, so no.

Skip Bayless may be a loud-mouthed, idiotic, Cowboys fanboy "talking head" but if Aikman truly wanted his revenge for Skip's past inflammatory remarks, Payless wouldn't be so stupid or careless as to let him have it in a shut-off, completely private setting of his choosing where he can finally let off decades of pent-up rage, hostility in a physical manner.

Not exactly first hand info, but better than the janitor. He was more than pissed anfter his book, and made some threatening remarks toward him, one of the guys told him ā€œyou touch him and he gonna sue the #### out of youā€ he said it would be worth every penny. Lol
Baseless was at valley ranch everyday all day back then. After that, he was never seen again. I donā€™t think he was seen in the metroplex for years lol
(And if you've shook Aikmanā€™s hand, itā€™s easy to understand why.)

Of course that was all back then and Iā€™m sure youā€™re absolutely right about things now. Those were fun times though. The drama always helped offset the misery of watching them win. But truth be told hate them like I do. That was an impressive run For a few years.

Skip ruined sports talk for the inevitable future. Now there really isnā€™t one watchable sports show that doesnā€™t show a particular bias for 1 player, or 1 team in basketball or football, and itā€™s been that way for a very long time. Now if some of those other clowns who offer zero actual knowledge of any game/sport would find a way to get lost as well. Then maybe, just maybe, the world of sports talk could regain some integrity back. For the life of me, I donā€™t see the point of continuously bad mouthing so many players and thinking itā€™s cool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom