Some important information concerning the Saints long term lease (1 Viewer)

Great news. Let's get it done.

Really just watched Fourth Down on Four...as we all would expect the next lease should be long term. As Duncan stated last night, it really isn't right or fair that the fans have to stay on pins and needles for so long with the Saints and whether or not they are staying or leaving. Duncan feels that the next lease will be the long term lease we are seeking. He also stated that he believe a new long term lease will be worked out with the Hornets in a couple of years, pending we reach the attendance requirements, but, I feel as Duncan...that situation will be fine. I'll add a little personal opinion. I think that the Saints will get a long term lease with the promise of a new stadium at least under construction by the end of that lease (likely 10 years). With that promise, the Saints will ask for no more subsidies and New Orleans will get ONE more Superbowl in the Superdome. Just my two cents on the matter. Duncan made a great point, though, and that is that the state has plenty of leverage this go around..all suites are sold and all seats are sold. BTW...Benson is a staunch Republican and from what I hear is a huge supporter and admirer of Jindal. So this looks good to me...for both the Saints and the Hornets. Glad Jindal is going to be in these crucial negotiations.

:beerchug:

So was this Duncan's speculation or was he reporting this as true?

A promise of a new stadium at least under construction in 10 years could work. It's enough time to allow the Superdome to recoup the recent expenditures and to get some financing in place for a new stadium, and far enough off to limit the political blowback.

And Jindal enjoys a much better relationship with Benson and the Saints organization than does Blanco, as shown by Blanco's negative comments about the team in 2004 and 2005, and then by the late 2004-early 2005 failed negotiations which Benson refused to reopen in the months before Katrina. Again, Benson and others in the Saints organization were early supporters of Jindal in 2003, and, as was the case with Ray Nagin, Blanco had a bad propensity to carry a grudge.

And the comment about Benson being the loyal Republican makes sense. People in the Republican party outside Louisiana see Jindal as a young star with some talking about Jindal on a national ticket in eight or even four years--if Jindal has great success as governor. The Saints leaving under Jindal's watch would tarnish greatly a GOP talent being groomed for higher office. I agree that may be a factor with Benson.

Last edited:
a new stadium can be sold if you can show economic impact for the city\state - sometimes you have to spend money to make money - if you can still make use of the dome while playing football games in new stadium its a good deal. - imagine a Superdome event and a Football event at the same time - both generating revenue - could prompt hotels to build which increases revenue via jobs and tax dollars.

if N.O. uses tourism as an industry, expand on that industry with more rooms, events etc

A promise of a new stadium at least under construction in 10 years could work. It's enough time to allow the Superdome to recoup the recent expenditures and to get some financing in place for a new stadium, and far enough off to limit the political blowback.

And Jindal enjoys a much better relationship with Benson and the Saints organization than does Blanco, as shown by Blanco's negative comments about the team in 2004 and 2005, and then by the late 2004-early 2005 failed negotiations which Benson refused to reopen in the months before Katrina. Again, Benson and others in the Saints organization were early supporters of Jindal in 2003, and, as was the case with Ray Nagin, Blanco had a bad propensity to carry a grudge.

And the comment about Benson being the loyal Republican makes sense. People in the Republican party outside Louisiana see Jindal as a young star with some talking about Jindal on a national ticket in eight or even four years--if Jindal has great success as governor. The Saints leaving under Jindal's watch would tarnish greatly a GOP talent being groomed for higher office. I agree that may be a factor with Benson.

It could go like this. McCain-Huckabee loses to Obama-Edwards in 08, which will basically be an Ohio-based election.

Huckabee becomes the front runner in '12, and after his '11 reelection, assuming Louisiana has undergone some kind of minor miracle, Jindal would be a great choice to (a) show that the GOP is not just a monoracial party and (b) not turn off the base too much, since Jindal has both Club for Growth and Christian Right cred.

I hope this works for you guys. My trip there to see the Bucs game was fantastic. The city was buzzing and my time their was extremely enjoyable. If they decide not to build a new stadium....fine. Personally I loved being in the dome. Obviously pour money into renovations and see what you guys can do about the slippery floors in there...;0)

I for one would like to see what can be done to the Superdome before building a new stadium.

If within the framework of the Superdome, the concourses can be substantially widened, and plaza seating brought closer to the field and increased, the main complaints about the Superdome are addressed.

again, whatever helps them stay long term and stops us fans from wondering IF they are leaving. again, if they build a new stadium I probably will never attend another game in N.O. because of price; but I'd rather watch them on tv or at a different stadium them to have them leave state.

here's how i think the deal should work:

the state no longer pays benson annual subsidies - instead, every year they set aside the same amount they would be paying benson in a special fund to be used only towards the construction of a new stadium (at the end of a new 10-year lease).

that would create trust on both sides - benson would know that the state's committment to build a stadium is real; the state would know that their money is being spent on a real investment towards securing the team's long-term future instead of just $$ thrown at a greedy owner.

I for one would like to see what can be done to the Superdome before building a new stadium.

If within the framework of the Superdome, the concourses can be substantially widened, and plaza seating brought closer to the field and increased, the main complaints about the Superdome are addressed.

I think the whole problem is that they built the dome TOO good! :)
I'm trying to think of an older NFL stadium.. maybe Texas Stadium? And that will be gone shortly. All the cookie cutter stadia, the astrodome, kingdome, even the rca dome will be all gone. Lambeau has been greatly renovated. Really, a 32 year old stadium is ancient nowadays.. if they can get a promise for one on the drafting table by 2020, I think maybe even the die-hards will be ready to retire the 45 year old grand lady.

Mark my words, Jindal will get a deal done within a month. Hopefully it will include some kind of guarantee of a new stadium too.

Last edited:
I do not believe that new lease agreement with the state and the saints henges on a building a new staduim.

Benson and the saints want more money and the only reason why they mentioned a new staduim at all is because they were not making a enough money to stay viable with the rest of the NFL and thought the problem was with the Dome.

But the problem was really with the saints. They weren't putting a quality product on the field until last year. Produce a winning football team and the fans will come!!!

I think some of you all are speculating way too much about this new staduim issue.

Saints and the NFL MUST be held more accountable for some part of this lease agreement as much as the state. Producing a more winning football team is part of their responsibility.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom