Steeler Gameplan vs. Saints (1 Viewer)

Nemo

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I think the Steeler gameplan against the Saints will be to feature the running game, with lots of trap plays and toss plays to the perimeter, where we have shown vulnerability against backs who have enough speed to get to the corner. Every now and then they will look for play action down field, as our corners and safeties have struggled at times defending the deep ball.

On defense the Steelers are going to blitz like there is no tomorrow. It's clear that if they sit back in zone that Brees has the accuracy to pick a secondary apart and our line has played well in pass protection against standard rush packages. The blitz is also effective against the run as it tends to clog running lanes with defenders. Of course, the blitz can result in big plays down field, but at 2 and 6 the Steelers really have nothing to lose and will gladly roll the dice with an attacking defensive scheme.

The key for the Saints on offense is going to be quick passes and screens by Brees to the backs, tight ends and Colston, mixed in with a few select deep passes to our receivers against what is likely to be man coverage on most downs.

The other key is going to be for us to match the early intensity of the Steelers in the "must win" game, from their perspective. If we can match their early intensity, avoid costly mistakes and get into halftime with any kind of lead, a good start to the second half by the Saints (like a touchdown on the first drive of the 3rd qtr.) and there is a good chance that Pittsburg starts to fold up their tents for the season.

On the other hand, if we come out flat and falter like we did against the Ravens, the Steelers and their crowd will feed off of this and we will likely be in for a long afternoon.

Your thoughts?

Honestly I thought I would see a lot more screens with Bush but the only one I remember was with Duece and it went for a big gain.

Agree. Most teams have been too afraid of the screen, or the underneath pass to Bush, and haven't blitzed as much as they normally would (e.g. Philly). But I think Pittsburg will bring it, and won't let up unless we burn them a few times. Brees is going to have to do a good job picking up the blitzes and finding his check-down.

Our D will have to be agressive, blitzing early and shutting down the run. If they can hurry Ben, he'll fall right back into turnover mode.

Lastly, we're going to have to strike early to take the crowd out of the game. Pittsburg is a pretty hostile place to play, and the crowd can make a difference in a close game.

On defense the Steelers are going to blitz like there is no tomorrow. It's clear that if they sit back in zone that Brees has the accuracy to pick a secondary apart and our line has played well in pass protection against standard rush packages. The blitz is also effective against the run as it tends to clog running lanes with defenders. Of course, the blitz can result in big plays down field, but at 2 and 6 the Steelers really have nothing to lose and will gladly roll the dice with an attacking defensive scheme.

I'd love to see them blitz all day. With Drews quick reads and release, along with multiple weapons, I think that's a great match up for us. :roadrunner:

If they did elect to blitz heavily, I think they would be out of it by the second QTR.

Ben Roethlisberger will have his best game so far this season against the Saints. Brees will need another NFC Offensive Player of the Week performance to pull this one out. .02

I think quick passes to Bush in the flat and slants to Colston will neutralize some of the blitzing they'll be doing. Colston should manhandle their CBs. If the Steelers come with that, then I like the Saints chances provided they do not turn the ball over. We can utilize the short quick game to Colston, and Bush and keep TOP in our favor. This is all theory of course.

I think the Steeler gameplan against the Saints will be to feature the running game, with lots of trap plays and toss plays to the perimeter, where we have shown vulnerability against backs who have enough speed to get to the corner. Every now and then they will look for play action down field, as our corners and safeties have struggled at times defending the deep ball.

The key for the Saints on offense is going to be quick passes and screens by Brees to the backs, tight ends and Colston, mixed in with a few select deep passes to our receivers against what is likely to be man coverage on most downs.

The other key is going to be for us to match the early intensity of the Steelers in the "must win" game, from their perspective. If we can match their early intensity, avoid costly mistakes and get into halftime with any kind of lead, a good start to the second half by the Saints (like a touchdown on the first drive of the 3rd qtr.) and there is a good chance that Pittsburg starts to fold up their tents for the season.

On the other hand, if we come out flat and falter like we did against the Ravens, the Steelers and their crowd will feed off of this and we will likely be in for a long afternoon.

Your thoughts?

Good points... all of them... actually though... they can copy and paste the plan against Denver and then simply avoid turnovers to win. We must do as the others who have beat them. Force them to make mistakes. Play keep away and take away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom