Study Finds gender differences have a biological basis (1 Viewer)

stephpopcorn.gif

That males and females are biologically different isn't some surprising revelation. It's always been that way. The question is whether when boys/girls feel like they're the wrong sex is a legitimate case for changing gender. For a sex change, there's a reason you have to go through all kinds of therapy to change the body to become more masculine or feminine. Even after it's all said and done, the change is never 100%.

That men and women are physically and mentally different really isn't all that big a deal to me. We're all different anyway.

i love when complex things are broken down to its simplest form. Makes it easier to comprehend for some.

That way, they dont have to actually think about the "why", just say "because it is"

for instance, you say "the sun is hot". We all know the sun is hot. Because we feel it when the sun is shining. The closer the sun is to earth ( summer) the hotter it feels.

Thats simple.

But WHY is the sun hot? What makes it hot?

i love when complex things are broken down to its simplest form. Makes it easier to comprehend for some.

That way, they dont have to actually think about the "why", just say "because it is"

for instance, you say "the sun is hot". We all know the sun is hot. Because we feel it when the sun is shining. The closer the sun is to earth ( summer) the hotter it feels.

Thats simple.

Would you be satisfied with the answer that the notion that the sun is hot is just a social construct?

Thats simple.

main-qimg-2ed0df05b735e6d56b5392977c676d44

Everything that deals with gender identity is controversial. Regardless of the results of the study it's going to offend someone.

How would the fact that boys and girls are different offend someone? I'm trying to make sense of that idea, and it's not adding up. I don't think anyone is arguing about differences.

We can debate other issues of fluidity and identity, but that's not the question here, I think.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/study-says-brains-of-gay/

Previous studies have examined brain differences between gay and straight people on the basis of their responses to various tasks, such as rating the attractiveness of other people. The problem was that there was no way to determine whether their responses were colored by learned social cues.

To get around this, Savic-Berglund focused on the structure and function of brain regions that develop during fetal development or early infancy—without using any cognitive tasks or rating systems.

The researchers used MRIs to determine the volume and shapes of the brains of 90 volunteers—25 straight and 20 gay members of each sex. They found that the straight men and gay women had asymmetrical brains; that is, the cerebrum (the largest part of the brain, which is responsible for thought, sensory processing, movement and planning) was larger on the right hemisphere of the brain than on the left. In contrast, they found that women and gay men had symmetrical cerebrums.

The team next used PET (positron emission tomography) scans to measure the blood flow to the amygdala, that part of the brain controlling emotion, fear and aggression. The images showed how the amygdala connects to other parts of the brain, giving them clues as to how this might influence behavior. They scanned subjects' brains when they at rest and did not show them photos or introduce other behavior that might have been learned.

They found that in gay men and women, the blood flowed to areas involved in fear and anxiety, whereas in straight men and lesbians it tended to flow to pockets linked to aggression.

How would the fact that boys and girls are different offend someone? I'm trying to make sense of that idea, and it's not adding up. I don't think anyone is arguing about differences.

We can debate other issues of fluidity and identity, but that's not the question here, I think.

Correct. The study is not about gender fluidity or identity. The article is misrepresenting what the study was actually looking at, which is something we already knew, that there are differences in how brains develop between XX's and XY's, but it's never been investigated in utero.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom