Study Links 45,000 U.S. Deaths a year to lack of Insurance (1 Viewer)

OK....so basically this study followed 9,000 patients and found out that the uninsured are more likely to die than an insured person...or that the rate is higher. The studies prescreening for health was 5 categories. That is ridiculous and not enough. It doesn't get an equal sample and I think the researchers used that to skew the figures.

Now, on average, let's compare a person with health insurance vs a person without insurance. A person with insurance tends to come from a higher socioeconomic class. These people tend to have less stress, eat better, exercise more, and just have an all around better lifestyle. Since these people have the better lifestyle, they, on average, live longer than people of low socioeconomic level.

Cliff note version:

People who have insurance tend to have a high SES....people without insurance tend to be low SES.

People of high SES tend to take better care of themselves, which means they live longer, get ill less, and recover from illness better....

This study does not have enough health screening to weed out the other factors that could be distorting the results. What looks like the horrors of our system could be nothing more than the luxury of living a better and healthier life.

Last edited:
It's not muddying the waters. It's clarifying the subject.

Consider this. In any successful management plan known to man, you identify your biggest problems first and focus on them. Why focus your limited resources on the <2% when your biggest problem, heart disease, is responsible for >26% of your annual deaths?

Would not providing health care that allowed the poor and uninsured access to the system before their conditions became heart disease be a great first step towards attacking the #1 problem?

Just sayin and please don't call me a name again. It hurts my feelings.

Add healthy school lunches. Why are we feeding pizza and french fries every single day to kids K-12th grade? That's a travesty. Or at least they were when I was in school.

Around here, its called free market. They sell food services to the lowest bidder and the lowest bidder feeds the kids crap.

I wonder what medical term is used on the death certificate when a person dies due to lack of insurance? Are there withdrawal symptoms when a person loses their insurance? What if a patient is under insured instead of uninsured, do they get seizures or paralysis or something instead of kicking the bucket? Will excessive insurance make you live longer or is any excess insurance eliminated via normal bodily functions?

OK....so basically this study followed 9,000 patients and found out that the uninsured are more likely to die than an insured person...or that the rate is higher. The studies prescreening for health was 5 categories. That is ridiculous and not enough. It doesn't get an equal sample and I think the researchers used that to skew the figures.

Now, on average, let's compare a person with health insurance vs a person without insurance. A person with insurance tends to come from a higher socioeconomic class. These people tend to have less stress, eat better, exercise more, and just have an all around better lifestyle. Since these people have the better lifestyle, they, on average, live longer than people of low socioeconomic level.

Cliff note version:

People who have insurance tend to have a high SES....people without insurance tend to be low SES.

People of high SES tend to take better care of themselves, which means they live longer, get ill less, and recover from illness better....

This study does not have enough health screening to weed out the other factors that could be distorting the results. What looks like the horrors of our system could be nothing more than the luxury of living a better and healthier life.
please elaborate on this.

Perhaps many of the 45,000 had untreated heart disease due to lack of insurance. :shrug:

Each of those 45,000 has a face, a name, family and/or friends. If the deaths of even half of that number could have been easily prevented if insurance was available for treatment, it is an unacceptable number in our society.

Jan

How many people die due to a lack of housing or a lack of proper food because of poverty? I would say that if we are going to spend this kind of money we should focus on more immediate concerns than going to a doctor. The fact is that there is no money to grab for politicians in feeding the poor or housing them while taking over health care will give them much more power over everyones lives. They could easily just focus on fixing the insurance situation without involving everyone in their scheme but that won't happen either.

How many people die due to a lack of housing or a lack of proper food because of poverty? I would say that if we are going to spend this kind of money we should focus on more immediate concerns than going to a doctor. The fact is that there is no money to grab for politicians in feeding the poor or housing them while taking over health care will give them much more power over everyones lives. They could easily just focus on fixing the insurance situation without involving everyone in their scheme but that won't happen either.

So your a communist.

When your # is up, your # is up.........

Thats all? Just 1/10 the amount contributed to cigarettes but for some reason those stay around. Wonder why? Oh yeah a great source of revenue for the ever expanding governments.

Thats all? Just 1/10 the amount contributed to cigarettes but for some reason those stay around. Wonder why? Oh yeah a great source of revenue for the ever expanding governments.

And you know only 3000 people died on 9/11 but we've been harping on it for seven years and the US government spent an infinite amount of money "dealing with it." We should only deal with problems with really big numbers amirite? Should probably outlaw cars and guns as well, they seem to kill even more people.

And you know only 3000 people died on 9/11 but we've been harping on it for seven years and the US government spent an infinite amount of money "dealing with it." We should only deal with problems with really big numbers amirite? Should probably outlaw cars and guns as well, they seem to kill even more people.

haha i beat you by one minute

only 3,000 deaths were attributed to the terrorist attacks.

haha i beat you by one minute

The sick irony of this is that all Afghans and Iraqis get Universal Health Care paid for by the US taxpayer because their countrymen murdered 3000 Americans.

The sick irony of this is that all Afghans and Iraqis get Universal Health Care paid for by the US taxpayer because their countrymen murdered 3000 Americans.

Can you provide a link for that statement? I don't see anything remotely claiming this fact.

And that is just from unhygienic practices while making coffee in convenience stores!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom