Surprise Emergency Room Bill (1 Viewer)

tangential:
My wife finally snapped and took our youngest into Children’s ER (he’s had a lingering cough and sporadic fever for weeks)
She texted to say how efficient the ER was but added she’ll tell me why in person

Evidently a kid was in ER a few months ago complaining of an asthma attack and the hospital didn’t do anything and then the kid passed😢
(Our friend’s mom works with Children’s nurses and told us the story)
So seemingly the ER had a come to Jesus and addressed a lot of issues
Hopefully it sticks
I'm sure the deceased kid's parents got themselves a nice bill tho. :mad1:

Lmao.. three antibiotic prescription meds, not shots.. i hate needles.. but yeah, i honestly wish it was that exciting , it was basically a bad cold with some type of sinus infection thrown in.. not covid, and not anything exotic…. Maybe next time !!
was sure it was the Clap......sorry!

Update:

I ran a 5k today and saw Ella’s SLP, the physician who sent her to Children’s National, and her pediatrician. There are no coincidences.

While we were at Children’s I had to place Ella’s NG tube or they would not discharge her home. “Well, I’m an ENT now…” and placed the tube. We were told to take her to the pediatrician if she pulled it out, but I put it back in like 10 times

One day she really put up a fight and I took her to Dr Kovacs. I told him what Children’s said and he replied “Mike, you’ve put in more NG tubes than I have”

Today when we were talking after the race I related this story and he said “you’ve still put in more NG tubes than me” 😊

Hospitals are gobbling up doctor’s offices – and they’re bringing higher prices to patients when they do, even if a patient never sets foot on a hospital campus.

Enter the “hospital facility fee”: a charge hospitals can add to bills from doctors’ offices, outpatient surgical clinics and diagnostics centers that they own, rebranding them as “outpatient hospital departments”, even if the facility is miles from a hospital campus.

“It’s one of the most egregious examples of hospital financing at the expense of consumers,” said Liz Hagan, director of policy solutions at the United States of Care, a non-profit advocacy group that released a new report on the practice.

The report, “Behind the Bill” argues that “hospitals are at the center of a massive market failure”, where consolidation is driving price hikes for patients.

There is no data on how often people are hit with the charges. But it’s widespread enough that one of US of Care’s own staff members was charged while writing the report – a facility fee of $154.52 was added to a bill for a flu test.

“Ultimately, consumers are left paying the price for that – either through higher [insurance] premiums, because hospital costs are built into premium costs, or at the point of service,” Hagan said……..

Hospitals are gobbling up doctor’s offices – and they’re bringing higher prices to patients when they do, even if a patient never sets foot on a hospital campus.

Enter the “hospital facility fee”: a charge hospitals can add to bills from doctors’ offices, outpatient surgical clinics and diagnostics centers that they own, rebranding them as “outpatient hospital departments”, even if the facility is miles from a hospital campus.

“It’s one of the most egregious examples of hospital financing at the expense of consumers,” said Liz Hagan, director of policy solutions at the United States of Care, a non-profit advocacy group that released a new report on the practice.

The report, “Behind the Bill” argues that “hospitals are at the center of a massive market failure”, where consolidation is driving price hikes for patients.

There is no data on how often people are hit with the charges. But it’s widespread enough that one of US of Care’s own staff members was charged while writing the report – a facility fee of $154.52 was added to a bill for a flu test.

“Ultimately, consumers are left paying the price for that – either through higher [insurance] premiums, because hospital costs are built into premium costs, or at the point of service,” Hagan said……..

Our regional medical center, Tidal Health, is doing exactly this. They strong arm private practices into an "affiliation" and if you don't play, you can lose admitting privileges. In every case customer care has tanked and prices risen. Personally, I hate them.

Who knew giving birth could cost as much as college tuition? One mother on TikTok was shocked to find out when she received her hospital bill in the mail.

On June 24, Devynne Haddox took to her social media page to detail the long, costly list of hospital charges from when she gave birth to her firstborn in January.

To her dismay, the bill was well over $80,000. “The reality of giving birth in America,” her caption read.

Haddox sat in her car, peering at her phone as she read off each item’s price. From the hospital room where she stayed for three nights to not even a full bottle of Motrin, the new mom was charged an obscene amount for nearly everything she used during her stay.

“For reference, I went into the hospital Wednesday and got released Saturday,” she explained. “I was in there for three nights. I had to get medically induced. I got an epidural, and there were no complications or anything like that.”

Still, Haddox’s total charge was $87,891. She laughed in disbelief as she read the number out loud, while her partner next to her was speechless.

“Okay, let’s break it down,” she said. According to Haddox, the room cost $14,706, the laboratory services were $8,794, and the Motrin she took was $3,608.

At the mention of the Motrin price, Haddox’s partner exclaimed: “I could’ve just gone down to the Walgreens.”…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom