Taysom Hill Now Listed As A TE On Saints Initial 2024 Depth Chart / How It Could Affect The EQB3 (8 Viewers)

The Saints have changed the official designation of Taysom Hill on their initial 2024 depth chart from QB to TE. They could have left his designation to be listed at QB, or they could have changed it to several other position groups including RB, FB, WR, as well as TE.

I think they chose to change his designation from QB to TE because of how it affects their QB room regarding using a designation for either Haener or Rattler as an EQB3 on gamedays.

The EQB3 rule states that if a team has 3 or more QBs on their active gameday roster, they can not designate one of them as the EQB3.

Had Hill remained a QB by designation, the Saints would not have been able to dress both Haener and Rattler on gamedays.

Now, on gamedays, the Saints can list Carr as the Starter and one of the two young guys as the #2, while deeming the other as "inactive" on the gameday roster. They can then designate whichever one was deemed inactive as the gameday EQB3. This will allow the Saints to dress out Carr, Haener, and Rattler on gamedays, with all 3 of them eligible to play, the EQB3 only if both the starter and the named #2 QB were both injured in the game.

Furthermore, the EQB3 gets a roster exemption, not counting against the gameday 46-man roster.

Additionally, if a team carries 8 Offensive Linemen on their gameday roster, they get an extra gameday roster spot.

By both carrying 8 offensive linemen as well as an inactive QB deemed an EQB3, the Saints potentially could have 48 players dressed out and available to play on gamedays.

Should the Saints elect to deem an EQB3 player, TH7 would not be allowed to take snaps from the QB position once the EQB3 has entered the game, unless the #1 QB, the #2 QB, and the EQB3 were all injured and unable to return.

This could be a fluid thing where the Saint choose to name a different #2/EQB3 from game to game.

The Saints don't have to use the EQB3 designation on a QB.
In that case they could enter the game with Carr, Haener, and Rattler all on the gameday active roster with no restrictions to any of them playing in the game, TH7 as well.

With the Saints naming both Haener and Rattler as co-#2s for now on the initial depth chart, it leaves everyone guessing as to who will be the gameday #2.

If not before then, we'll know for certain 90 minute before kickoff each week which QB is deemed the #2 QB, at least for that particular game.
…..or he could just be an H-back

Now, on gamedays, the Saints can list Carr as the Starter and one of the two young guys as the #2, while deeming the other as "inactive" on the gameday roster. They can then designate whichever one was deemed inactive as the gameday EQB3. This will allow the Saints to dress out Carr, Haener, and Rattler on gamedays, with all 3 of them eligible to play, the EQB3 only if both the starter and the named #2 QB were both injured in the game.
Now let's look at this through the lens of fan favourites:-

Whoever the staff name as QB2 (and if they go with the usual deference to seniority/experience NFL teams follow, that's Haener) will be the only backup able to enter the game, unless both QB1 and QB2 get injured.

Fast forward now to the 'QB3 truthers', duly incensed that 'their guy (and already saviour of the franchise)' is being deliberately prevented from getting into any games by the Saints coaching staff. Ohhhh, the travesty. And then the threads about it. If you thought the Haener/Rattler stuff was bad before this... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now let's look at this through the lens of fan favourites:-

Whoever the staff name as QB2 (and if they go with the usual deference to seniority/experience NFL teams follow, that's Haener) will be the only backup able to enter the game, unless both QB1 and QB2 get injured.

Fast forward now to the 'QB3 truthers', duly incensed that 'their guy (and already saviour of the franchise)' is being deliberately prevented from getting into any games by the Saints coaching staff. Ohhhh, the travesty. And then the threads about it. If you thought the Haener/Rattler stuff was bad before this... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Your foresight regarding this is spot on. You must have sat down with a Tarot Card Reader in the Quarter recently. :p

Taking it a step further, the furry will begin 90 minutes before kickoff when all is announced and the outrage most likely will dominate the gameday thread.

Unless of course, the anointed one is named #2 QB on gameday instead of the jazzy 👞 shoe wearing QB. :hihi:

Your foresight regarding this is spot on. You must have sat down with a Tarot Card Reader in the Quarter recently. :p

Taking it a step further, the furry will begin 90 minutes before kickoff when all is announced and the outrage most likely will dominate the gameday thread.

Unless of course, the anointed one is named #2 QB on gameday instead of the jazzy 👞 shoe wearing QB. :hihi:
Don’t look @Mamba. We’ve evolved from abbreviations to giving everyone nicknames👀👀👀

Ooo I see it now. So it basically saves an active roster spot, with a conditional start for a third QB, and we get to have Taysom do his thing. And this doesn't prevent Taysom from taking some snaps at QB?
Anyone can line up at QB.. they can put Cam Jordan back there to take some snaps at QB if they want to..

Unless of course, the anointed one is named #2 QB on game day instead of the jazzy 👞 shoe wearing QB. :hihi:
Hopefully is does dominated that sheet storm on the game day thread since it has never been anything but. I have seen the mods say they hated to monitor it.

Don’t look @Mamba. We’ve evolved from abbreviations to giving everyone nicknames👀👀👀

On to me, eh? Well then in that case...

Derek "Darth Vader" Carr - (DC4)
Taysom "Mormon Missile" Hill - (TH7)
"Jazzy" Jake Haener - (JH3)
Spencer "The Rifleman" Rattler - (SR18)

Oh Mamba I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law

Oh Mamba I can hear you a-cryin' you're so scared and all alone

Oh Mamba, I've been years on the lam and had a high price on my head

Dear Mamba, I can hear you a-cryin' you're so scared and all alone

Oh Mamba, I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law

Mamba, don't let 'em take me!

I'm just the Renegade who had it made!

Last edited:
Somebody needs to ask DA in a press conference if they plan on trying to use the EQB3 designation this year or not.

It all hinges on the definition of a bona fide QB for Taysom Hill. Last year, the Saints elected to try and not skirt the rules and had Taysom listed as a QB and had 3 QBs on the active roster for game day, ignoring the new emergency third QB rule.

Listing him at TE seems to signal that they are interested in utilizing the emergency 3rd QB rule, but it would require the NFL to agree that Taysom is not a bona fide QB. Reading the NFL's definition of a bona fide QB, I think they could argue that Taysom is still a bona fide QB even if listed as a TE and thus we could not have our QB 3 listed as an emergency 3rd QB since we have 3 bona fide QBs on the active roster on gameday.

Somebody needs to ask DA in a press conference if they plan on trying to use the EQB3 designation this year or not.

It all hinges on the definition of a bona fide QB for Taysom Hill. Last year, the Saints elected to try and not skirt the rules and had Taysom listed as a QB and had 3 QBs on the active roster for game day, ignoring the new emergency third QB rule.

Listing him at TE seems to signal that they are interested in utilizing the emergency 3rd QB rule, but it would require the NFL to agree that Taysom is not a bona fide QB. Reading the NFL's definition of a bona fide QB, I think they could argue that Taysom is still a bona fide QB even if listed as a TE and thus we could not have our QB 3 listed as an emergency 3rd QB since we have 3 bona fide QBs on the active roster on gameday.
From my understanding the Saints can designate him as a TE since by all reports he hasn't spent time in the QB meetings or I believe taken a snap as a QB during a pre season game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom