Taysom Hill should be the starting QB (5 Viewers)

With all the gurus whining about Taysom's injury history, I have yet to hear anyone address the FACT that other than his 1st season(& current) he has only not played 16 games ONCE.
He has started 16 games @ QB w/a record of 8-8.
Carr has started 21 games w/a record of 11-10.
Does that mean Hill is a better QB? No, but all the posts about him not being a QB, being always injured, not worth the $ & having had his chance to start is nothing but wishcasting.
Nor does it mean that I think he should be the starting QB or that he would do any better, w/the current roster.

As opposed to the current 5 game losing streak and blow out fest? Or is there a "more wrong" than that I am missing... LOL

That doesn't mean doing something that has never worked in the NFL is going to make it better. The only way the losing streak is going to end is for the team to get healthy and for Carr to start. And the only way to stop being a mediocre team is to get rid of DA.

Look, I thought Hill should have gotten more of a chance at QB when Brees retired. But, frankly, it was clear that he wasn't a good fit for the scheme that Payton ran and Payton and Carmichael seemed unwilling to change it to fit what Hill does best. I actually think he might have been a better fit for what Kubiak is doing with Rattler. But, when he did get a shot, both full time and part time, he got injured. And given his age coming out of college and how long he sat behind Brees, he was never going to have a large window to prove he could play QB.

Maybe he would have made it at QB back then, but at age 34 with all the injuries he continues to get, there is really no point in trying some weird QB rotation. It wouldn't give him a real shot to be a QB and he's very good in the FB/H-Back/HB role.

That doesn't mean doing something that has never worked in the NFL is going to make it better. The only way the losing streak is going to end is for the team to get healthy and for Carr to start. And the only way to stop being a mediocre team is to get rid of DA.

Look, I thought Hill should have gotten more of a chance at QB when Brees retired. But, frankly, it was clear that he wasn't a good fit for the scheme that Payton ran and Payton and Carmichael seemed unwilling to change it to fit what Hill does best. I actually think he might have been a better fit for what Kubiak is doing with Rattler. But, when he did get a shot, both full time and part time, he got injured. And given his age coming out of college and how long he sat behind Brees, he was never going to have a large window to prove he could play QB.

Maybe he would have made it at QB back then, but at age 34 with all the injuries he continues to get, there is really no point in trying some weird QB rotation. It wouldn't give him a real shot to be a QB and he's very good in the FB/H-Back/HB role.

But... It did work.... and does work with Taysom... There's plenty of proof of that....

Everything else we pretty much agree on...

My point is - If Carr can't go.... and the team is still mostly injured... and Taysom is ready to go... I am ready to put his 80% win rate at QB1 (or significant snaps at QB) and see how that works out....

Last edited:
But... It did.... and does work with Taysom... There's plenty of proof of that....

Everything else we pretty much agree on...

My point is - If Carr can't go.... and the team is still mostly injured... and Taysom is ready to go... I am ready to put his 80% win rate at QB1 (or significant snaps at QB) and see how that works out....

It didn't work. Wins are not a QB stat. And 11 TDs with 8 Interceptions doesn't really work in the NFL.

If Carr can't go, Hill at QB may give you a better chance than Rattler or Haener. Although, given that this is a new system and Hill didn't really work with the QBs much in camp, I'm not sure Hill is ready to play QB in this system.

But, I really think this season is over so the best thing to do is get as many snaps as possible for Rattler and Haener because Carr isn't the long term future and neither is Hill.

But, I also know that DA wants to try to save his job so he is going to start Carr as soon as he is healthy. And if the OL is healthy quickly and if Hill and Olave are back soon, Carr might unfortunately save DA's job by getting to 7 or 8 wins against bad teams. Which is another reason i don't want Carr to start.

Last edited:
So is Carr's.
Oh look another fake account.

Anyway... Carr has been pretty healthy his entire career. He doesn't rely on his mobility or speed at all, like some running QBs nowadays that have short windows once their speed starts to slip (or they get injured constantly).... he'll be playing until he is 40.

It didn't work. Wins are not a QB stat. And 11 TDs with 8 Interceptions doesn't really work in the NFL.
Indeed, and those are for his career. As a starting QB he only has 8 TD's and 6 INT's plus 2 fumbles lost from being sacked. So essentially a 1:1 touchdown to turnover ratio as a QB in the pocket.

Posters saying he should be playing more at QB to minimize the number of hits he'll absorb also forget that in those 9 games he started at QB in 2021-2022 that he was sacked 22 times (on top of another 89 rush attempts) and that was behind a better line than we're currently trotting out there the last few weeks.

Yes, he did go 7-2 in those 9 starts at QB, but look at the teams we beat for those 7 wins:
  • 3-6 Falcons (finished 4-12)
  • 4-6 Broncos (finished 5-11, literally didn't have a QB on the roster due to COVID and had to start a converted WR)
  • 4-7 Falcons (finished 4-12)
  • 3-9 Jets (finished 4-13)
  • 10-3 Buccaneers (finished 13-4, game we won 9-0 without scoring a TD and Taysom had 187 total yards and a 48.2% completion)
  • 5-10 Panthers (finished 5-12)
  • 7-9 Falcons (finished 7-10, Hill started this game but left due to injury while winning 7-6 in the 2nd quarter, Siemian comes in and puts up another 23 points in relief)
Everyone rags on Allen for how many wins he has over teams with winning records (what is it, like 2?), yet nobody mentions it regarding Hill starting at QB. His 2 losses were to a 7-4 Cowboys team (finished 12-5) and a 3-8-1 Eagles team (finished 4-11-1).

While I absolutely love Taysom and want him out there because the offense has performed better this year with him on the field than when he isn't, him starting at QB isn't the answer unfortunately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom