The Chess Thread (3 Viewers)

I like Yahoo games chess set up the best. I'm nosaintsfan13 anybody want to play?

Last edited:
Anyone still play Chess?

Okay, I ask this because my 10 y/o son loves to play chess and is very good. He always plays at the youth center on base pretty much beats all of the kids with no problems and sometimes he'll play two kids at a time just for the challenge of playing two games and beating more people. He was in his chess club as school and in the final tournament beat all of his peers and then beat the teacher that was served the purpose of the "semi-finals", I guess this teacher doesn't get beat much because they didn't bother to bring the $25 prize. He then played against his chess club teacher and almost beat him. The teacher then hand delived my son's winnings to the house to let me know how good he really is.

He has asked me to play and I beat him the first time we played. This really ticked him off b/c the next time he beat me in only a few moves and now I can't beat him at all.

I've got him a few books about learning how to play chess, one of them is something like Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, so he's learned a lot of advanced moves and strategies.

So what I'm trying to find out is there anything I can do to further develop his chess playing ability? This is one thing that he really likes and I would like for him to continue to get better.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

They have plenty of places online where you can play chess against people from all over the world--and they keep your score, record, etc so you can see how well you do compared to the other chess players out there. They also have chess tournaments you can compete in.

They have plenty of places online where you can play chess against people from all over the world--and they keep your score, record, etc so you can see how well you do compared to the other chess players out there. They also have chess tournaments you can compete in.

Thanks, maybe I can try and research that. We live outside of Tokyo.

look into local chess clubs. here there is the USCF.
I loved playing in college, it eased my mind, and put my thinking cap on.
Definately had better grades, when was active in chess.

I played on Yahoo for a bit.

Like anything competitive though, it's frustrating when you realize you're playing against someone much better than you.

Like anything competitive though, it's frustrating when you realize you're playing against someone much better than you.

We Saints fans would have no idea what you're talking about.

Do whatever you can for him. My neighbor's son got a full ride scholly to the University of Texas b/c of his chess playing skills. He was a very good player, to say the least.

I enjoy a good game of chess, I taught my nephews how to play years ago...I look forward to playing a game with my son when he gets older...It's good for children to learn...

Chess is one of the greatest games around. I LOVE IT. Get him Chessmaster 10th Edition for the computer. It is the single greatest chess tutorial, I have ever seen. It has a COMPLETE explanation from beginner to expert, puzzles, chess profiles to play against from a total beginner to the likes of Morphy, Alekhine, Capablanca etc..

Trust me, it is only about $20 bucks and it will or can improve anyone's games. Plus it has an anthology of some of the greatest games ever played and your son can study them move by move.

My son started getting better at chess about that age and the last Boy Scout winter camp we attended, the boys were just about fighting to take turns on the only chess set we had with the troop.

My son started getting better at chess about that age and the last Boy Scout winter camp we attended, the boys were just about fighting to take turns on the only chess set we had with the troop.
My son does not know the game, yet. However, our Scouts pack stayed on the USS Alabama this past Saturday. There were MANY games going on. It really surprised me!

Get this book: Chess Fundamentals by Capablanca. It is not expensive and its teachings are ageless golden. You read a section and then work with your son on what you learn. This book emphasizes a lot on end games which many beginners do not like. But practice endgame is like building up your endurance in playing football. Very important.

Secondly, open an account for him in Yahoo Chess. Let him rip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom