The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, the video even addresses why this isn't an option for some caught up in the cycle - They can't afford it.
Sure some can’t afford to move, some could save and eventually move, while others could move quicker. I get it, cost of living increase would increase but over times, one could invest in one self and make some options.

My mama came to this country during the Vietnam War from Guatemala and worked at DH Holmes (I think) to get into college and then one to become an anesthetist. My dad came from Costa Rica and joined the army and went to fight in the Vietnam War to make a better life for himself. My mama rented a room from his parents while he was in Vietnam. My wife’s dad came over with nothing from Honduras and made a good living for himself being a electrician. It is possible if you never give up. They dealt with a lot during that time but they still kept trying to make their life better. Particularly, there is some much more information today at one’s fingers than decades ago.

Define most and may you please provide some examples of a lack of options so that I make sure I understand you correctly? Saintholic seemed to have options.

Options? I have deeds for properties that were in my family which clearly state that they could NOT be sold to blacks. This wasn't something some relative cooked up. It was common legal language in Louisiana. I think the latest one I have is the 1950s. So, yes, there seems to be a lot you're taking for granted.

Options? I have deeds for properties that were in my family which clearly state that they could NOT be sold to blacks. This wasn't something some relative cooked up. It was common legal language in Louisiana. I think the latest one I have is the 1950s. So, yes, there seems to be a lot you're taking for granted.
I am not taking anything for granted. I merely asking questions so I can better understand. It is that simple. I am sorry that you don’t believe me. I appreciate your real estate story but I bet that has no impact on your ability to sell now. Is that evidence of something systematic, perhaps. I need more than just your story to say that. So when I ask questions, I am just trying to learn not sure why you bust my chops over that.

Sure some can’t afford to move, some could save and eventually move, while others could move quicker. I get it, cost of living increase would increase but over times, one could invest in one self and make some options.

My mama came to this country during the Vietnam War from Guatemala and worked at DH Holmes (I think) to get into college and then one to become an anesthetist. My dad came from Costa Rica and joined the army and went to fight in the Vietnam War to make a better life for himself. My mama rented a room from his parents while he was in Vietnam. My wife’s dad came over with nothing from Honduras and made a good living for himself being a electrician. It is possible if you never give up. They dealt with a lot during that time but they still kept trying to make their life better. Particularly, there is some much more information today at one’s fingers than decades ago.
What part of Honduras is your wife’s dad for him, my family is a Honduran background and I grew up for seven years in Honduras, the city of San Pedro Sula

What part of Honduras is your wife’s dad for him, my family is a Honduran background and I grew up for seven years in Honduras, the city of San Pedro Sula
I think the capital or Sula. Her mom comes from Le Ceiba. That is awesome, been to Le Ceiba a few times along with Sula and Roatan. Please tell me you like chichaorennes?! I butchered the spelling, sorry.

I think the capital or Sula. Her mom comes from Le Ceiba. That is awesome, been to Le Ceiba a few times along with Sula and Roatan. Please tell me you like chichaorennes?! I butchered the spelling, sorry.
LOL, too funny San Pedro Sula is the biggest city but the capital is Tegucigalpa, I had an aunt and uncle who live there. My family is quite prevalent in government there, as a matter fact in the 70s one of my uncles with the vice president in in the 90s my cousin on my father side was the president, Manuel Zelaya, Look it up, he’s the one that the military came and kicked him out of the country in a coup.Funny thing is his mindset is similar to my mindset, we both believe in helping the indigenous population of the country but that’s a story for another time

LOL, too funny San Pedro Sula is the biggest city but the capital is Tegucigalpa, I had an aunt and uncle who live there. My family is quite prevalent in government there, as a matter fact in the 70s one of my uncles with the vice president in in the 90s my cousin on my father side was the president, Manuel Zelaya, Look it up, he’s the one that the military came and kicked him out of the country in a coup.Funny thing is his mindset is similar to my mindset, we both believe in helping the indigenous population of the country but that’s a story for another time
PS have you eaten a pupusa?

Thanks for this post.. I wasnt aware of any of that type of stuff, with people like your mom being made fun of for wanting to better their lives.. And this thread is making me think of things I haven’t thought about in years.

Not sure if you’re from NOLA, since we have members from all over- but growing up, we lived for a time in what’s called ‘The East’.. i loved it. . My backyard was the Louisiana Nature Center with all it’s trails and exhibits, and I used to ride my bike to what was, at the time, the largest mall in the country- the Lake Forest Plaza.. But around the time i was 10 or 11, we moved because The East was becoming the home of the black middle class in New Orleans, and the whites were not ok with it... Before we moved away, i had a good friend who I’d ride bikes with all the time.. He was a kid named Donnie, and i remember getting a lot of grief from some of my family members, because Donnie was a black kid.. The one thing I remember most about hanging out with him, is that one day we found out that City Champ, Rickey Jackson, was signing autographs at the brand new Honda dealership on I-10 and Bullard, so we rode our bikes all the way up there.. he completely blew us off, since he had a couple of women hanging all over him, and didnt want to be distracted by some little kids.. but we got our Rickey Jackson autographs!

Thanks for reminding me of all those things.. And Donnie, if you’re a member of SR and grew up near Lake Forest Blvd and Wright Rd in the East- hit me up bro!

Thanks for sharing. Yes I am a local and know the area you speak of and the history behind it. What you're referring to with your parents moving is "White Flight," which is another thing that has hindered progress and kept the racial divide prevalent in society.

A lot of the Westbank literally was built to take advantage of the demand generated by White Flight from the New Orleans area.

I am not taking anything for granted. I merely asking questions so I can better understand. It is that simple. I am sorry that you don’t believe me. I appreciate your real estate story but I bet that has no impact on your ability to sell now. Is that evidence of something systematic, perhaps. I need more than just your story to say that. So when I ask questions, I am just trying to learn not sure why you bust my chops over that.

Not allowing black U.S. citizens to buy real estate in the "white" areas of town is very well documented, not just in the South.

This is not anecdotal, and it's not about *my* ability to sell. This is how generational wealth has been denied to your fellow American citizens. I just assumed everyone was aware of this.

Thanks for sharing. Yes I am a local and know the area you speak of and the history behind it. What you're referring to with your parents moving is "White Flight," which is another thing that has hindered progress and kept the racial divide prevalent in society.

A lot of the Westbank literally was built to take advantage of the demand generated by White Flight from the New Orleans area.

Oh trust me, I’m extremely familiar with the term... And yes, it was, and still continues to be a real thing.

As if ’we’ can just keep moving further and further away from the issues geographically, the systemic problems will just disappear.

My mother in law was from La Ceiba. Born in Nicaragua though. She moved to NOLA in the 50s with an aunt. Sadly she never returned to Honduras, and her brother got caught in Cuba when Castro took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom