The Ingram Suspension is Big. Who fills the role? (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
The Saints have already lost Mark Ingram for the first 1/4 of the season, and it is a significant loss. Who will fill the role in his absence, and will they be able to keep the offense on-point?

Kamara will take the bulk of the work, but we can’t overwork him early, and the two-back format kept defenses guessing.

The candidates:

Terrance West: Many think West was signed to be the stop-gap until Ingram returns. I’m not too sure about that. West was wallowing as a free agent, and I think it’s just as likely he doesn’t make the final roster.

Boston Scott: The diminutive rookie RB has an intriguing skill set to go along with sneaky power. He looks like a different style of RB than Ingram though, so not sure how this would look.

Jonathon Williams: Williams flashed a few times with his former team, but he did nothing as a Saint. He may surprise, and he has the make-up to be a realistic Ingram fill-in short term.

Trey Edmonds: Edmonds made the team and stuck as a ST contributor last season. He flashed on a few nice runs vs Buffalo and looked good in the preseason. The fact he never really got another look (even when Kamara was concussed) was a red flag though.

Daniel Lasco: Lasco has become an almost forgotten man on the Saints roster. Injuries have hurt his progress, and I’d be shocked if he makes it to the final cut-down, let alone the final roster.

Probably Kamara.

I have a strong feeling our offense will be drastically different from last year, at least without Ingram. We ran a run-heavy Smashmouth style last year as our strength. I think we will go back to an offense favoring the pass at least early in the season before Ingram comes back. Kamara can be used for screens and explosive plays in a way we used to do with Bush, Pierre Thomas and Sproles.

Funny thing is I actually felt like Lasco finally has an opportunity to step up. If hes healthy he seems like a decent option. I'm not sold on West either but who knows.

After Kamara there are a lot if question marks,

West is a bit underrated and has been stuck on some really crappy teams with the exception of 2016. He also has more experience than the other 4 combined.

Boston Scott I think will be a major steal and can be the 3rd back for years to come.

Edmunds flashed against the Bills and was solid on special teams. He beat out Lasco last year in camp Andi don't see any reason he won't don't again.

Williams has the talent but his college career was filled with injuries. If he can stay healthy he has the best shot to fill Ingram's spot till he returns but that is a big if.

Lasco was done even before he got injured again he was beat out by Edmunds and started on the practice squad. Injuries aside he simply lacks the instincts, vision and awareness as a RB to have a good shot at the roster.

I think West's experience puts him over the edge to fill Ingram's spot and at 5-10 225 he has quick feet and the size to run between the tackles plus he is a solid receiver to keep the offense from becoming predictable.

1. Kamara
2. West
3. Scott
4. Williams
5. Edmunds
6. Lasco (odd man out)

For Williams and Edmunds the first 4 games will be a battle for who remains after Ingram comes back.

It should be a good motivation opportunity for everyone to prove their worth. With at least a 4 game stretch of sure playing time on the line, one or two of these guys needs to step up their game to earn that spot.

I like Edmunds and if anyone can fill the bruiser role of Ingram I think it could be him if he wants it.

Not sure what West has left. Had what 1 good year in Baltimore and that’s really it

I think Scott can do well. Never watched him at Tech but looks like a shifty back that has some power too. Would love to see him step up.

Don’t know much about Williams

Unless he did a lot of work in the offseason, I think Lasco is out.

Funny thing is I actually felt like Lasco finally has an opportunity to step up. If hes healthy he seems like a decent option. I'm not sold on West either but who knows.
I really want to believe in Lasco, but between the injuries and him not really making much of an impact besides on special teams, I don't know if he can make the cut. If Boston Scott is half as good as I think he is, Lasco would be luck to stick around as a practice squad guy.

Unless he also takes a major leap forward.

After Kamara there are a lot if question marks,

West is a bit underrated and has been stuck on some really crappy teams with the exception of 2016. He also has more experience than the other 4 combined.

Boston Scott I think will be a major steal and can be the 3rd back for years to come.

Edmunds flashed against the Bills and was solid on special teams. He beat out Lasco last year in camp Andi don't see any reason he won't don't again.

Williams has the talent but his college career was filled with injuries. If he can stay healthy he has the best shot to fill Ingram's spot till he returns but that is a big if.

Lasco was done even before he got injured again he was beat out by Edmunds and started on the practice squad. Injuries aside he simply lacks the instincts, vision and awareness as a RB to have a good shot at the roster.

I think West's experience puts him over the edge to fill Ingram's spot and at 5-10 225 he has quick feet and the size to run between the tackles plus he is a solid receiver to keep the offense from becoming predictable.

1. Kamara
2. West
3. Scott
4. Williams
5. Edmunds
6. Lasco (odd man out)

For Williams and Edmunds the first 4 games will be a battle for who remains after Ingram comes back.
I agree with the order you have but we definitely won't keep a 5th running back.

While the suspension is big, it may not hurt too much in the long run. The games he will miss are are at home against the Bucs(minus their starting QB) and Browns. And on the road against ATL and the Giants. We should still be 3-1 without Ingram and he will have less wear and tear on him and be fresher when the schedule gets tougher and for the playoff run. If a young guy, say Scott or Edmunds, does well and gains confidence, the suspension could be a net positive for the team. Same for if Kamara shines with more touches and proves he can handle a larger workload.

Ingram's absence will hurt us a lot. The Hightower of 2 years ago would have been good in rotation with Kamara, but I'm afraid he or West are not viable.

I'm not convinced Kamara can do it (and going by SP's words not sure he does either). Edmunds/Williams/West seem to be the front runners to try. At this point I'm honestly not sure. I'm expecting to see more use of the passing game, particularly in the red zone, these first four games.

Probably Kamara.

I have a strong feeling our offense will be drastically different from last year, at least without Ingram. We ran a run-heavy Smashmouth style last year as our strength. I think we will go back to an offense favoring the pass at least early in the season before Ingram comes back. Kamara can be used for screens and explosive plays in a way we used to do with Bush, Pierre Thomas and Sproles.

You may be right, but I hope you are not. IF the starting offensive line is intact I believe we can achieve balance in the run/pass with Kamara and Boston/West (who I think are the main candidates). I don't want Brees throwing the ball 40+ times a game, if he does that we are more prone to turning the ball over, at this stage of his career I want to see the passing game be more efficient rather than more prolific....

One thing I believe is that Kamara will be almost exclusively the back on 3rd downs. Ingram will be missed for his pass protection, right now, Kamara is the best back we have for this until Ingram returns...

Boston Scott, mark my word.

Exactly.. Scott's a bowling ball, sorta like a shorter version of Ingram.. The Saints will be fine til' MI returns.. what'll be interesting IMO is to see the rotation if Scott does really well.. Just like WR, RB depth is a good thing to have, cuz ya never know.

NW.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom