The Ingram Suspension is Big. Who fills the role? (1 Viewer)

Funny thing is I actually felt like Lasco finally has an opportunity to step up. If hes healthy he seems like a decent option. I'm not sold on West either but who knows.
I'm pretty confident Lasco wont make the team.
Williams will become a camp and preseason beast.
I'm not sure Scott as a rookie will do anything, he is more of a Kamara backup than someone you want to grind between the tackles.
I like Edmunds but he is a downhill runner and far from a cut back or slasher that Ingram is. Doubt you want to build an offense around him for 4 games. Think he's more of a closer type back.
Terrance West is by far the most likely plug and play option from a running style and experience standpoint.

So I think it's West's job to lose but Williams will put a lot of pressure on him. Think Scott and Edmunds are guys the front office has a plan for this year and aren't even really on the radar to fill in for Ingram. Lasco's hasn't shown his ability to be even close to outweighing his injury issues and wont make the team.

So that's my thoughts going into camp but there's a reason they have camp and preseason.

I'm pretty confident Lasco wont make the team.
Williams will become a camp and preseason beast.
I'm not sure Scott as a rookie will do anything, he is more of a Kamara backup than someone you want to grind between the tackles.
I like Edmunds but he is a downhill runner and far from a cut back or slasher that Ingram is. Doubt you want to build an offense around him for 4 games. Think he's more of a closer type back.
Terrance West is by far the most likely plug and play option from a running style and experience standpoint.

So I think it's West's job to lose but Williams will put a lot of pressure on him. Think Scott and Edmunds are guys the front office has a plan for this year and aren't even really on the radar to fill in for Ingram. Lasco's hasn't shown his ability to be even close to outweighing his injury issues and wont make the team.

So that's my thoughts going into camp but there's a reason they have camp and preseason.

Yea, this. Unless Scott absolutely kills it with no fumbles in camp, he doesn't get any significant carries. Would love to start Hightower, but don't know if he is as good as his first year with us. Worried about West too, he's had a hard career. Williams, maybe. Would love for him to light it up in camp, we need him. Trey, totally agree. He's an Alvin Maxson clone, and could surprise me. But I doubt it. I think the numbers will get Lasco, who has a bad habit of diving at the tackler's ankles when contact is coming. He needs to keep his head up.

I wanted to draft Darrell Williams for insurance, but it would have set us back elsewhere. Darrell, I think, will be a good Pro.

I'm not convinced Kamara can do it (and going by SP's words not sure he does either). Edmunds/Williams/West seem to be the front runners to try. At this point I'm honestly not sure. I'm expecting to see more use of the passing game, particularly in the red zone, these first four games.

The combination of Ingram and Kamara, plus the NFL didn't quite know what Kamara was going to do, was a perfect storm last year. I'm certain the teams on our schedule have more than enough film on him, and will get better at taking away what he does. We need Ingram.

The combination of Ingram and Kamara, plus the NFL didn't quite know what Kamara was going to do, was a perfect storm last year. I'm certain the teams on our schedule have more than enough film on him, and will get better at taking away what he does. We need Ingram.

It's not even just that (film) for me. Ingram took care of a lot of the IZ/Duo/etc. insides and in particular ate up the 8 man boxes (was the best vs 8 man boxes in the entire NFL in terms of YPC for players who saw 40% or more 8 man boxes). Kamara saw very few of those boxes and the Saints focused on putting him in 11 man sets to try and see 5-6 man fronts. This helped keep in space, but was possible in part due to Ingram. Question becomes can Kamara take the step to where he doesn't need Ingram + gameplanning to put him in those spots. IDK. Many (not pointing any fingers to anyone here) Saints fans grossly undervalue Ingram's ability and what he was able to do. I believe Kamara is the future, but we'd be asking him to take a big leap to be able to do what Ingram did last year.

I'm not convinced Kamara can do it (and going by SP's words not sure he does either). Edmunds/Williams/West seem to be the front runners to try. At this point I'm honestly not sure. I'm expecting to see more use of the passing game, particularly in the red zone, these first four games.
I agree. For those who missed what Payton had to say about this topic:
"The mistake would be that Alvin gets 15 more carries," Saints coach Sean Payton said on Saturday at the team's rookie minicamp. "That's not the direction we would expect to go."
Don't expect extra work for Alvin Kamara in Mark Ingram's place; that'd be 'the mistake,' Sean Payton says

That is pretty clear to me. Don't expect Kamara to pick up Ingram's load. Payton will rely on other RBs or maybe an increase in the short passing game.

Two words: ALVIN KAMARA

I can’t remember Marshal Faulk’s back ups and this dude is possibly just as good IMO. We will likely be a WAY better passing team with the additions we made at receiver & tight end. So we just throw it more the first 4 games. But if I had to name a guy he would be Boston Scott.

Oh and Zach Line!! Line was a damn good tailback at SMU. Lineup Hooman at fullback and he will pick up shot yardage

Yea, this. Unless Scott absolutely kills it with no fumbles in camp, he doesn't get any significant carries. Would love to start Hightower, but don't know if he is as good as his first year with us. Worried about West too, he's had a hard career. Williams, maybe. Would love for him to light it up in camp, we need him. Trey, totally agree. He's an Alvin Maxson clone, and could surprise me. But I doubt it. I think the numbers will get Lasco, who has a bad habit of diving at the tackler's ankles when contact is coming. He needs to keep his head up.

I wanted to draft Darrell Williams for insurance, but it would have set us back elsewhere. Darrell, I think, will be a good Pro.
Hightower didn't sign with us. He was just here for a 3 day tryout and was not signed. He is still a FA.

If the Saints really believed that either Edmunds or Williams (or even a combination of the 2) were the answer to filling the Ingram role during his absence... then why even have West, Hightower, and the failed attempt at DeMarco Murray in for a tryout? ...and then subsequently sign West?

I don’t want them to force both roles on to AK, and it sounds like they don’t want to either. I think that whoever proves themselves to be the best at blitz pick-up and protections will win the second half of the split with AK. That’s a scenario that would work against Boston Scott, but he may surprise in that area.. Otherwise, I think Scott has a legit shot of winning the timeshare. He may be short, but to be over 200lbs at 5’7 is NOT little.

Oh and Zach Line!! Line was a damn good tailback at SMU. Lineup Hooman at fullback and he will pick up shot yardage

Line was a beast at SMU, but he’s not a viable running option at the NFL level. He’s never exceeded 7 carries in any of his pro seasons, and he only had 2 receptions last season. I love him as a FB, but he’s not going to even be considered as a full-in for Ingram.

I go with whoever they can count on in blitz pickup and doing all the garbage work that Ingram did to make the offense run smoothly. Kamara had a great year, but wasn’t used as a traditional running back, and I doubt Payton is going to put him there. Pick whichever guy can bang out some tough yards, keep Drew clean and all that little stuff. Which it is I’m not sure.

I go with whoever they can count on in blitz pickup and doing all the garbage work that Ingram did to make the offense run smoothly. Kamara had a great year, but wasn’t used as a traditional running back, and I doubt Payton is going to put him there. Pick whichever guy can bang out some tough yards, keep Drew clean and all that little stuff. Which it is I’m not sure.

We'll get a good look at West, Williams, and Trey in preseason, and know a lot more about what we have. The blocking will be vanilla, but one can judge cuts, speed, power, and desire well enough to form better opinions.

If the Saints really believed that either Edmunds or Williams (or even a combination of the 2) were the answer to filling the Ingram role during his absence... then why even have West, Hightower, and the failed attempt at DeMarco Murray in for a tryout? ...and then subsequently sign West?

I don’t want them to force both roles on to AK, and it sounds like they don’t want to either. I think that whoever proves themselves to be the best at blitz pick-up and protections will win the second half of the split with AK. That’s a scenario that would work against Boston Scott, but he may surprise in that area.. Otherwise, I think Scott has a legit shot of winning the timeshare. He may be short, but to be over 200lbs at 5’7 is NOT little.

The team isn't confident (100%) in anyone during OTAs. You shouldn't be when you're talking about players that don't have much, or any, in game experience. If you talk to others (Deuce McAllister for example) they talk very highly of guys like Williams/Edmunds in practice. But, Ingram being gone puts a big hole in your roster for four games. You're allowed to have 90 players right now. Why not bring in a veteran to see the potential fit? As much as I like the pick of Scott, I currently don't see him in contention for Ingram's reps. In the next couple of months when I'm able to see him in the offense that might change.

Last edited:
1. Kamara 5-10 215 4.52 reigning R.O.Y.
2. West 5-10 225 4.50
Pros: big back with above average speed and agility, good receiver above average instincts.
Cons: only has 1 year of good production (2016) in his defense his the only time he had decent QB play.
3. Scott 5-6.5 200 4.40
Pros: great speed and quickness.
Cons: only one year of high production and inexperienced as a receiver
4. Williams 5-11 220 4.63
Pros: good agility, instincts and toughness.
Cons: below average straight line speed and durability was an issue in college.
5. Edmunds 6-1 225 4.48
Pros: Big and fast
Cons: downhill runner with below average agility, durability was an issue in college.
6. Lasco 6-1 205 4.40
Pros: fast and explosive
Cons: stiff, poor instincts and durability

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom