The Last of Us (HBO series - spoilers within) (1 Viewer)

I had really high hopes for this show, and maybe that’s clouding my judgement, but so far this is a snoozer.

I’ll give it until the end of the season, but I really don’t think the show has much new to offer at all. And if it does, maybe it should start offering it. But the infected are cool looking, I guess.

I had really high hopes for this show, and maybe that’s clouding my judgement, but so far this is a snoozer.

I’ll give it until the end of the season, but I really don’t think the show has much new to offer at all. And if it does, maybe it should start offering it. But the infected are cool looking, I guess.
Out of curiosity, what more/different would you want?

I thought episode 3 was fantastic. The drama, incredible shots and music. Just fantastic drama. I don't think it would have been better if it had stayed to the story line but there were some interesting sacrifices.

For one, we just met clickers last episode and you can imagine how scary the game can be. This episode doesn't have any of that. In the game, they don't have the battery or the vehicle but Bill knows where one is, its just at the impossibly heavy infested high school. Its very tense. So it just departs from the horror a bit too much for me.

But what they really sacrificed was the interactions between Bill and both Ellie and Joel. Ellie and Bill are constantly at each others throats because of Bills trust of outsiders. But he is also constantly telling Joel he should cut ties, that caring for someone will get you killed. It was another way to see Joels internal struggle and reluctance to care about another character, particularly a girl the age of his daughter.

in the end, that is the story here, Joels complete 180 from resisting Ellie to the point where he would die for her. That is why I think the casting is so perfect. To me, the quality of the actors is much more important than how closely they fit the description of the characters. We haven't even gotten to the heart of the bonding but I think Ramsey and Pascal will be able to pull it off brilliantly.

I am not a Parks and Rec guy but I had no idea that Offerman could act like that - wow.

I thought episode 3 was fantastic. The drama, incredible shots and music. Just fantastic drama. I don't think it would have been better if it had stayed to the story line but there were some interesting sacrifices.

For one, we just met clickers last episode and you can imagine how scary the game can be. This episode doesn't have any of that. In the game, they don't have the battery or the vehicle but Bill knows where one is, its just at the impossibly heavy infested high school. Its very tense. So it just departs from the horror a bit too much for me.

But what they really sacrificed was the interactions between Bill and both Ellie and Joel. Ellie and Bill are constantly at each others throats because of Bills trust of outsiders. But he is also constantly telling Joel he should cut ties, that caring for someone will get you killed. It was another way to see Joels internal struggle and reluctance to care about another character, particularly a girl the age of his daughter.

in the end, that is the story here, Joels complete 180 from resisting Ellie to the point where he would die for her. That is why I think the casting is so perfect. To me, the quality of the actors is much more important than how closely they fit the description of the characters. We haven't even gotten to the heart of the bonding but I think Ramsey and Pascal will be able to pull it off brilliantly.

I am not a Parks and Rec guy but I had no idea that Offerman could act like that - wow.
Never played the game, but I have to imagine Bill will be in some flashback type episodes in the future, especially given the history between Joel and him.

Never played the game, but I have to imagine Bill will be in some flashback type episodes in the future, especially given the history between Joel and him.
possibly but they would have to create that history. They summed up the relationship which was the same in game and series - respect but no love. The one thing they had in common was the survivor motto of caring will get you killed.

for those that loved the drama of this episode, you are in for a doozy with the next new characters introduced.

Maybe I missed it, but is Bill confirmed to be dead outside of the note?

I wondered that as well. But if he had lived on, he probably would have picked up the note and the key to the I armory. Also, the end looks like they are leaving Bills town for good. Bill would not leave there

I was wondering that as well. It looked like it was going to be revealed as they panned back from the open bedroom window, but they never showed the bed.

I wondered that as well. But if he had lived on, he probably would have picked up the note and the key to the I armory. Also, the end looks like they are leaving Bills town for good. Bill would not leave there
panning back into the room/curtain seemed a pretty clear signal that what Bill said was going to happen, happened - that would be an ****** thing to tell Frank and then lie about it

BUT, i disagree with the last part - Joel put the rifle in the convenience store hiding spot
and he didn't seem to loot Bill/Frank's of everything they could carry, plus taking the remote gate opener (even though they didn't show him closing the gate) signaled to me that he thinks he may be back in both locations - possibly

panning back into the room/curtain seemed a pretty clear signal that what Bill said was going to happen, happened - that would be an ****** thing to tell Frank and then lie about it

BUT, i disagree with the last part - Joel put the rifle in the convenience store hiding spot
and he didn't seem to loot Bill/Frank's of everything they could carry, plus taking the remote gate opener (even though they didn't show him closing the gate) signaled to me that he thinks he may be back in both locations - possibly
From Joel’s perspective I am quite sure you are correct. He didn’t want to be on the journey at that point. I was spoiling from the Beni fit of the games narrative perspective. It isn’t likely they return. My guess is they do the next episode with just the two of them (plus human and zombie horror) before getting into the next character introduction. One of the things that made the game so great was the fluid way they went back and forth between game play and exploration (you control Joel as the two explor / travel and Eli peppers him with questions so you learn story as well as see the bonding happen. No game has ever done it that well. You feel you are living it with them. It’s the best example of a game delivering a story experience better than story media. You can crank the surround sound, turn down the lights and get lost in post apocalyptic bliss 😀

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom