The One Single Factor that will Put Us Back in the SB, or end it early (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
In the playoffs last year we had 8 forced turnovers to our one turnover. It's that simple. If we hit close to those numbers again we will be playing the Pats in the SB, regardless of who we play where on the way. If we get near 50-50 it will be an early playoff exit. It's that simple.

I agree. Turnovers will be a huge factor in the playoffs. Turnovers are what kept us alive last year in the playoffs.

It's the running game in my opinion. If we can run the ball effectively then we repeat.

It could be, but.......we're 11-4 (and would be 12-3 but for one Hartley miss).....without the number of turnovers we had last year.

It could be, but.......we're 11-4 (and would be 12-3 but for one Hartley miss).....without the number of turnovers we had last year.

True. Think about it. If Hartley doesn't miss that chip shot, we are playing for virtually the same record as last year at 12-3 this week. We could be playing for HFA without having to worry about what Carolina does against FATlanta. ugh.

I hear what your saying, but I think there are other ways we can win without the turnovers. Success on 3rd down D, converting our own 3rds, special teams play and red zone efficiency are all ways we can keep this train moving.

It is not valid to say that if Hartley had hit that kick we would be 12-3. If he had, everything would have been different going into the rest of the season, leading to who knows what.

Since we can not count on having an 8-1 TO ratio, we have to not turn the ball over ourselves. This requires a solid running game to make our play action game more effective. This will in turn take pressure off Drew, which I know he loves, but he can't afford to make any stupid bone headed picks like he has made at certain times this year. If he does we'll be pretty well done for the season.

True. Think about it. If Hartley doesn't miss that chip shot, we are playing for virtually the same record as last year at 12-3 this week. We could be playing for HFA without having to worry about what Carolina does against FATlanta. ugh.
actually... if Hartley makes that FG in OT against ATL in week 3... we're already division champs and have the # 1 seed locked up (ATL would be 11-4, we'd be 12-3 and have head-to-head tiebreaker) so Drew and all starters that have sufficiant back-ups would be sitting this week against TB.

that said... a moderate running game that combines w/ our passing game should be good enough to win as long as we don't turn the ball over. remember... most of the season our running backs were Ladell Betts, Julius Jones and Chris Ivory getting spot duty w/ the injuries to Thomas & Bush... as well as our supposed # 3 RB (Lynell Hamilton) on IR since preseason.

RBs need to do just a lil bit better in my eyes... O-line REALLY needs to step it up... and we need to stop turning the ball over (Drew stop throwing picks... though i'm ok w/ the 3rd & 20 bomb INTs that are pretty much nothing more than punts 1 down early)

It's the running game in my opinion. If we can run the ball effectively then we repeat.

I agree. If we run the ball. That will cut down on our turnovers. Drew needs a real play action threat and can not be forced to win every single game with his arm alone. Eventually he tries to do too much.

Get Ivory back for the play-offs and pound the ground!

If we don't turn the ball over like we have this season, we're 14-1...

Turnovers cost us more games than one missed FG--including the first atl game.

This team succeeds when they play poorly in only one aspect of the game. If turnovers and run def is weak as in Ravens game, then we will lose. if turnovers are low and and run def is weak then our chances are up two-fold. the talent outweighs those setbacks however the obstacle becomes greater. a weaker team would find it more difficult to recover from 4 turnovers like this one has.

Didn't we cause 5 turnovers against just the Cards? So 3-1 ratio the rest of the way?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom