NFL Draft The pick nobody sees coming... (1 Viewer)

A pick nobody sees coming? How about a guy that if he had been eligible for the 2020 draft, the Saints would have had to trade up for in the first round? In this video, he is described as "a sure fire first round pick," "maybe the best corner in the country," and "special." Now I don't believe he will come off the board before the 40s or 50s, though there is a chance he will make it to the top of the third round. He certainly won't be there for the Saints' picks at the end of the third round. To me, if the Saints miss on Farley, Surtain, Horn and Newsome in the first round, Paulson Adebo is a must have in the second round, even if they have to trade up a bit to get him.

Yes, do not forget my favorite Payton Turner. 35 3/8 arms , 83 5/8 wing , and 10 1/2 hands.
I still think that he's probably a 5-tech at the end of the day.

His 3 cone was most impressive of all.
Yes, do not forget my favorite Payton Turner. 35 3/8 arms , 83 5/8 wing , and 10 1/2 hands.
I can see Turner Being very good in certain roles.

My only problem with Dayo Odeyingbo is that he doesn't look very explosive at all and didn't work out. He looks like and plays like a Blocking TE moree than a DE.

Travis Etienne would be the pick if you wanna see a pick we never saw coming
I agree!! I think they will try to move up to get Jaycee Horn but barring that Etienne would be a great pick. The Saints have a history of drafting to strength so I wouldn't surprise me very much. Etienne and Kamara in the backfield would be dynamic and put extreme pressure on LBs in the passing game.

The pick I would not see coming is....us pulling another Ricky Williams kind of trade...that would literally blow my mind for sure. Nothing else would really surprise me at picking #28...unless it's a Punter to replace Morestead. SMH. Lol.

Last edited:
We trade up to 17 and take one of the best interior D line, or interior O line that is left.

Or is that the opposite of surprising?
🤭

I have been having a "gut feeling" they are going for faster, aggressive and rangy on D. I think any LB's and DL we get will fit into that mold. I think DA will have a simpler concept in his scheme and take out a bit of the "thinking" and complexity for just a more athletic D to attack and contain. I don't think we go for any standard big boy pure NT, but larger, athletic guys who can still succeed at NT, but move to DT, as well. Someone mentioned talking to long armed prospects and that supports that cause, too.

A pick I don't think many would see would be Ian Book, later in the draft. I don't think we will make a play for any of the top QB's and after the top 5 are off the board, if he is available, I think they would snag him over other QB's left. Of course we won't give up "vision" players that the FO thinks can contribute sooner than later to get him...but a sneaky later draft pick up.

So, my "dark horse" is Ian Book.

Pros: Book has pretty good pocket awareness and can escape a LOT and still keeps his eyes downfield and made some pretty ridiculous and accurate throws running, in awkward positions. Having active feet, ability to escape pressure, anticipation of throws and keeping eyes downfield are the intangible attributes at QB that you sort of have naturally or instilled early in playing career by HS or don't. You can only coach that into a player to a certain level once they have entered the NFL, but if not built into their football DNA, tough to instill. His pre-snap reads mostly are pretty quick and seems to diagnose fairly well, too.

Cons: His release is a big windup and a bit slow but has good touch on the "deep" ball despite limited arm strength. He is a bit "too footsy" sometimes and doesn't set up quick or solid in his foundation when he is "footsy". That can be coached. His release can be coached. His O line had some HORRIBLE moments and not great schemes offensively. He needs to drive the ball a bit more sometimes...again, refining the technique and setting up faster to have his power transferring from bottom up (hip rotation, etc). His negatives are coachable when it comes to release/windup and set up. He just has a bit of something that is intriguing with his running ability, active feet. As coach and trainer, I always look for active feet and set up. For the most part, he wants to do that...but sometimes he just doesn't.

The pros seem to outweigh the cons, as in the pros show what he is capable of and the cons are when those pros just weren't happening...LOL. I could actually see him being able to produce in a Sean Payton offense. His best best would be to go to the Saints with a great chance of developing that he wouldn't have on other teams. His success in the NFL is a 55% right now but I think he is a player CSP has an eye on with his intangibles fitting the mold he likes in a QB despite some height and arm strength which are "sexy" attributes but don't mean the player will be a good QB in the NFL or your system as a fit. Some players just seem to have a little something and some issues that are able to easily coach up. Some you just "HOPE" as a project. I think he would be a little more than a project. Franchise QB year 1 or 2...NO...possible progress and build within a system to have a shot at being "the guy" in the NFL, I will go on a limb and say yes, in the right situation.

The way the draft is moving on many mocks, I think Christian Barmore may be the pick we are not seeing coming

He is the best defensive tackle in the draft, we lost a couple of good ones. He has the size, can penetrate but also, I don't think he has played up to his potential. I wonder also how he could fit in our scheme.

The way the draft is moving on many mocks, I think Christian Barmore may be the pick we are not seeing coming

He is the best defensive tackle in the draft, we lost a couple of good ones. He has the size, can penetrate but also, I don't think he has played up to his potential. I wonder also how he could fit in our scheme.
I mocked him @ 28 before we traded brown since we had to replace rankins anyways

Shocker/head scratcher:

The Saints stick to their board and take the best player available, C Landon Dickerson from Alabama.

Along with McCoy and Ruiz they implement a three Center offense, making heavy use of shifts and imbalanced lines to take advantage of Taysom Hill’s running ability.

Shocker/jawdropper:

Saints trade 2021, 2022, 2023 1st round picks to Lions to jump the Panthers and Broncos and take Justin Fields.

Initially i was tempted to go w/Joe Tryon. Then i was gonna go w/Rashod Bateman. Ultimately, i think the dude who fits the bill athletically, mentally, & schematically is DB/S Travin Moehrig. Adding a versatile talent like Moehrig, who plays all over the field & is a force in both coverage & run support, would further solidify the secondary. I think the CB EDGE OL & WR class is pretty strong & we can address the positions on Day 2. Moehrig’s ability to play single high, split S, slot S, as well as be a force vs the run is too much to pass on. There’s something very Malcolm Jenkins-like about Moehrig.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom