Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (2 Viewers)

RebSaint's Sunday Night Football Shrimp

Ingredients

1/2 lb of jumbo shrimp.
One onion
5 cloves of garlic
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
olive oil/vegetable oil
Heavy Cream (about 1/2 cup)
Bread crumbs (about 1/4 cup)
1 can of artichoke hearts
1/2 of a lemon, chopped in wedges
1 TBSpoon of Oregano
1 TBSpoon of Thyme
1 TBSpoon of Basil
1 TBSpoon of Saffron
Tony's seasoning and salt to taste.
2 chicken bullion cubes
Pasta of choice (I just used speghetti)

Directions:

Sautee Onion and Garlic until soft, then add the shrimp, cook for 1 or two minutes.
Add the heavy cream, bullion cubes, artichoke hearts.
Add seasonings.
Add the chopped tomatoes and lemon wedges
The mixture was a little watery, so I added breadcrumbs, and it thickened up very well.
Cook for about another 7 minutes. I did it in my large, cast-iron Lodge [tm] frying pan.
Serve over pasta of choice (next time, I'll try it on Angel hair)

DadsDream can attest: I made this stuff on the fly for the Sunday night game vs. the Cowgirls. It was good.

I'll make it again when the Saints play their first playoff game. It brought about good gris-gris.

Last edited:
With a home of her own, Daughter #2 has declared she will host Christmas dinner this year, with all the traditional family dishes.

I'm not going to argue. But I am going to bring one dish they've never had, just so I can blow their minds:

TPS's
Corn and Shrimp Chowder
(As rescued from the archives by RebSaint)
---------------------------------
Ingredients

3-4 bacon strips
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cans of Green Giant [tm] creamed corn
2 cans of Green Giant [tm] niblet corn
2 lbs. of peeled shirmp (about 4 pounds total)
1 pint of half and half
1/2 pint of heavy cream
1 tsp cayenne pepper
milk (see below)
salt and pepper
chopped parsley

1. In large heavy pot, fry bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to drain.

2. Saute' chopped onions and green pepper in bacon grease until soft.

3. Add the cubed potatoes and cover with water an inch above the potatoes. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer over medium heat until potatoes are fork tender.

4. Remove pot from heat and mash potatoes thoroughly.

5. Add all the corn, half and half and heavy cream. Stir to blend well. Next, add enough milk so that the soup (quasi-chowder) is the consistency you want. Some like it thin, I like mine a little thicker.

6. Add salt black pepper to taste and 1 tsp of cayenne pepper and return pot to medium heat on the stove.

7. Stirring constantly to avoid scorching, bring mixture to a simmer, but do not let it boil (it will be time to reduce the heat when you see small bubbles rising up to the top of the creamy mixture). Reduce heat to low temperature and continue simmering for 15-20 minutes.

8. Add shrimp and parsley; stir mixture well. Allow soup to simmer on low heat until the shrimp are done (6-10 minutes max).

You can substitute crawfish for shrimp but be aware that crawfish are already cooked and will take less time to heat. One variation that my wife likes is to crumble the bacon back into the pot when you add the salt and pepper. It sure doesn't hurt anything.

Heat your french bread until crispy (275 for about 8-10 minutes or higher for less).

Shrimp Pilau--Modified RebSaint version from the Frank Davis seafood cookbook.

Ingredients:

1lb bacon
1lb of shrimp, sliced lengthwise
1 can of thyme
1 yellow onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 bell pepper (chopped)
1 5oz pckg of yellow (saffron) rice
1 16 oz can of whole tomatoes
3-4 dashes of oregano
3-4 dashes of thyme
3-4 dashes of Tarragon
1/2 cup of heavy cream, 1/4 cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry up bacon until crispy, then sautee veggies in the bacon grease. (don't cook them too long~3 minutes)

In seperate bowl, break add can of tomatoes, and break them up with a fork, and add spices. (except the tarragon)

Add heavy cream and water in a seperate saucepan, placing seasoned tomatoes and bring to a boil--then add the yellow rice seasoning, wait 2-3 minutes then add the rice.

Lower the heat, begin simmering rice, when rice is half cooked (about 11 minutes), add the shrimp, simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the tarragon.

Crackle bacon while serving, or add the bacon to the mixture, whatever your preference.

Do not overcook this dish. (I didn't but I can see the quality of this dish suffering as a result.)

Last edited:
Thanks for stickying this thread--hopefully we can get some more cooks here to post their finest.

Recipes some free, can be download here for a week or 2 more before the website is shut down for good... to download the cookbook costs $10.00 and contains many of the recipes that were posted on the old board's recipe thread.
http://www.cajuncooksrecipes.com/

Also, a mod may want to merge the thread regarding dips that Kevin in Buffalo started into this one?
cajuncook

Recipes some free, can be download here for a week or 2 more before the website is shut down for good... to download the cookbook costs $10.00 and contains many of the recipes that were posted on the old board's recipe thread.

Also, a mod may want to merge the thread regarding dips that Kevin in Buffalo started into this one?
cajuncook
With the new site we have some new tools...I'll have to see if I can do that without all the 'extra' stuff.

cajuncook

Go to cajuncooks site and read up on the ziplock bag omelets....I got that recipe from my MIL and they really do work! The original recipe, and the one at the site say 13 minutes; if you like your eggs a bit more done like I do, then go to 15 minutes. We made these over Christmas with a crowd here, and they were great!

julia_fish.jpg

BROILED SALMON

1/3 cup of canola oil +2 ounces
1 entire side of salmon (filet)
*with pin bones removed*
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon whole cumin seed , toasted
1 tablespoon whole coriander seed, toasted
1 tablespoon whole fennel seed, toasted
1 whole star anise pod
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Use the two ounces of canola oil to coat a sheet pan
then lay the salmon down on the pan. Set aside.

Add coriander, fennel, cumin, star anise, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to a blender. Turn the blender on high until spices are ground fine. With the blender running, add the canola oil and blend until well combined. Preheat broiler to the "high" setting. Brush salmon with spice mixture and let sit at room temperature for thirty minutes. Place salmon in the broiler about six inches below the heating element. Cook the salmon until it reaches an internal temperature of 135F (10-15 mins) and serve immediatley.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Or else.

I bet someone on here has the mother of all gumbo recipes!

I'm making some seafood gumbo on sunday. I have a question, shrimp heads on or off?

For those "who can take it," here's my "easy" spicy mole recipe (this is HOT):

1-2 pounds chicken breast
12 corn tortillas
2 tbs. corn oil
½ lb. Grated Monterrey Jack cheese
Small jar Pace Piquante sauce
Sauce
1 Tbsp Pure Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
4 Tbsp minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced (or more to taste)
8 Tsp Chipotle Chili powder (this is why I call this easy mole, no cooking and drying peppers, purists do frown)
add 1 Tbsp Cayenne Powder or 1 tsp ground Habanero for increased heat (I'm telling you now, don't do it).
1 cup chicken stock, leftover from boiling the chicken (or vegetable stock if you prefer a vegetarian version)
1 Oz. Ibarra Mexican Chocolate (or substitute bittersweet chocolate with 1 tsp. ground Mexican canela or cinnamon).
1/8 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of ground Mexican canela or cinnamon

1. Boil 1 pound chicken breasts until done. Drain, reserve stock.

2. Fry corn tortillas in oil about 15 seconds each, then set to drain and cool slightly (stacking on paper towels works fine).

3. Sautee onion and garlic in oil until tender but not brown, about 1-2 minutes.

4. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer low for 20-25 minutes.

5. Toast 2 tsp. white sesame seeds on a baking sheet in a 325 degree oven for approx. 15 minutes, or until golden. Watch carefully so you don't burn them.

6. Cut chicken into strips. Lay chicken strips in tortillas, top with cheese and c. 1 tbs. salsa, then roll tortillas and place in pan.

7. Cover rolled enchiladas with mole sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds and remaining cheese. Cook in oven @ 350 degrees until cheese melts.

YUM, but you have to like hot pepper!

For Seafood, substitue the seafood for the chicken
(shrimp peeled and deheaded please!!! Use the shells to make a stock to use in thinning the roux.)
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Chicken, Sausage & Optional Egg Gumbo<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>​
2 gallons water
2 cups roux
1 cup dried onion flakes or 2 cups fresh chopped onions
2 cups fresh chopped bell peppers 1cup dried bell pepper flakes
1 cup chopped fresh green onions or1 cup green onion flakes
7 heaping teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
&#188; cup dried parsley flakes
2 cloves chopped fresh garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder (not garlic salt)
&#189; teaspoon red pepper (More can be added or Tabasco for extra spiciness.)
2 teaspoons dried celery flakes
1 bay leaf
1 to 1 &#189; lb. Smoked pork sausage
2 to 4 cups cubed chicken. (See notes below.)
4-6 tablespoons file&#8217;
1 dozen eggs
Cajun seasoning (A mix of salt, red & black pepper, garlic & onion powder & paprika.)
Notes: Either boneless skinless breast meat cut into 1 &#188; &#8220; cubes or bone-in chicken pieces which have been simmered in water and about 2 teaspoons of Cajun Seasoning and de-boned. If using de-boned chicken, use the water it was simmered in as part of the 4 quarts water above. I also add finely chopped Tasso- about &#189; to &#190; cup to my gumbo pot. Tasso is highly seasoned smoked lean pork and is an optional ingredient.
Put the water into a stockpot; add the roux and bring to a boil. (Watch and lower heat before it boils over.) Add all the seasonings except the file&#8217; and Cajun Seasoning.
In a skillet on the side, sear the sausage rounds, & if using raw chicken cubes, sprinkle with Cajun Seasoning and sear the chicken also. Drain fat. Add a little water to loosen the &#8220;pan scrapings&#8221;. Add to the stockpot. The sausage and the chicken bouillon granules are high in salt, so do not add any until after tasting in a couple of hours. Simmer for at least 2 hours. If too much liquid boils away and the gumbo gets too thick, add a little water. Taste for adjustments needed in salt and pepper. About 10 minutes before serving add 1 to 2 tablespoons file&#8217; and simmer 10 more minutes.
Options: Hardboiled (peeled) eggs can be dropped in during the last hour of cooking to add more &#8220;meat&#8221; to the pot. Or, about 20 minutes before serving, lower heat to just a slight simmer, break and drop raw eggs into the gumbo & do not stir for 5 minutes to let them &#8220;set&#8221;. (The eggs will pick up the flavors of the gumbo and do make a nice &#8220;surprise treat&#8221; in the gumbo.) Adding the raw eggs will allow the eggs to pick up more flavor than the hardboiled ones, but some people don&#8217;t like the appearance of irregular shaped eggs. Serve over rice in a soup bowl. Gumbo can be saved in the fridge a couple of days and tastes better a day old. It also freezes very well. If you put eggs, be careful reheating in the microwave. The yolks can explode.

Gumbo Z' Herbes "The King of Gumbos"
Traditionally served on Good Friday

stovegumbo.jpg

1 bunch fresh mustard greens
1 bunch fresh collard greens
1 bunch fresh turnip greens
1 bunch fresh green kale
1 bunch fresh dandeion greens
1/2 medium green cabbage (shredded)
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley (minced)
1 large onion (halved and sliced)
4 large celery stalks and tops (choped)
4 large garlic cloves (minced)
2 bay leaves (minced)
1 1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
1/2 cup hot sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pound smoked pork jowl or smoked ham (diced)
4 quarts brown poultry stock or chicken broth
1 pint shucked oysters and their liquor
Salt to taste
Gumbo file' powder
Chopped green onions (garnish)
Cooked white rice

Wash greens thoroughly to remove dirt and sandy residue. Tear into bite sized pieces discarding stems and tough center veins. Combine the greens, cabbage, parsley, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, black pepper, hot sauce, sugar, and diced pork in a 12 quart soup pot. Add stock or broth and stir to blend well. Cover and cook about 2 hours, stirring occaisionally. Add salt to taste and adjust other seasonings if necessary. Stir in the oysters and their liquor. Cook just untill oysters curl around the edges. Serve gumbo over white rice. Garnish with green onions. Add file' powder at the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom