The ridiculous violence in N.O. (2 Viewers)

That was kinda my question. I was not sure if it was common for black to stay in projects and whites in trailer parks. Seems that way.

Why?

There are, just maybe not exactly in New Orleans itself.

It depends what you call the projects, but there are white people (especially in the suburbs) that live in areas that are known to be the projects, but they just usually aren't quite as expansive and famous as the huge projects in New Orleans.

And I think if I remember correctly, it was a bit before my time, but I thought that there were some white people that lived in a certain project in New Orleans, I think when it was a bit newer. Maybe the St. Thomas? I think I remember someone telling me that.

I think mostly the reason is a lot of the really really poor white people have moved to really really poor areas of the suburbs, instead of directly in New Orleans.

It depends what you call the projects, but there are white people (especially in the suburbs) that live in areas that are known to be the projects, but they just usually aren't quite as expansive and famous as the huge projects in New Orleans.

And I think if I remember correctly, it was a bit before my time, but I thought that there were some white people that lived in a certain project in New Orleans, I think when it was a bit newer. Maybe the St. Thomas? I think I remember someone telling me that.

I think mostly the reason is a lot of the really really poor white people have moved to really really poor areas of the suburbs, instead of directly in New Orleans.

The St Thomas projects were originally whites-only, as were the Iberville projects.

White-flight and the creation of suburbs opened up opportunities -- the vast majority of which were closed off to African Americans.

Well, at the end of the day..

to quote my man Lester Freeman from the great show The Wire...

"Aaaaall the pieces matter"

The projects were originally built to provide cheap housing for returning vets after WW2. The idea being that the vets would live there temporarily to save money and buy a home. That's what happened for the most part.

I lived in the St Thomas projects when I was a child. From there we moved to Terry Town where we were one of the first families to move in. It was like living in a swamp! The kids in my family were glad when Betsy destroyed the place and we were able to move back to the city.

Tragedy rips away a newsman's hard shell: Guest column by photographer Michael DeMocker | NOLA.com

Warning: The story is from the photgrapher that shot the TP pictures from the birthday party where the 5 year old was murdered. His picture of the father holding his shot child is included in the piece.

"Tragedy rips away a newsman's hard shell: Guest column by photographer Michael DeMocker" Good read from the Sunday Times Picayune.

"When fellow photographer Ted Jackson arrived, he saw my distress and reached out to put a hand on my shoulder. The hundreds of murders I have covered over the years were like hundreds of punches, but this was the one that finally knocked me down. And I cried. The overflow of emotion was much like that I felt after Gleason's blocked punt, only this time it wasn't hope for the city I love flooding into me; it was that same hope draining back out."

Last edited:
Tragedy rips away a newsman's hard shell: Guest column by photographer Michael DeMocker | NOLA.com

"Tragedy rips away a newsman's hard shell: Guest column by photographer Michael DeMocker" Good read from the Sunday Times Picayune.

"When fellow photographer Ted Jackson arrived, he saw my distress and reached out to put a hand on my shoulder. The hundreds of murders I have covered over the years were like hundreds of punches, but this was the one that finally knocked me down. And I cried. The overflow of emotion was much like that I felt after Gleason's blocked punt, only this time it wasn't hope for the city I love flooding into me; it was that same hope draining back out."

Please add a warning to your post... There is a photo of a dead or dying little girl being comforted by her father:(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom