The Running-Up-The-Score Fiction (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I attended the Eagles-Saints game. I have no memory of the Saints trying to run-up the score on the Eagles. And the scoring summary shows that we did not.

We won the game 48-7. We scored our last touchdown to go up 45-7 with 13:15 left in the fourth quarter. In the last 13 minutes of the game, we scored three points--a 19 yard field goal--to go up 48-7. And again my memory is that we were not trying to score another touchdown at the end and that Philadelphia kept its first-string in the game until the end.

Had Gregg Williams been coaching the Eagles, I would understand questions of whether we were trying to run-up the score. But to my knowledge, Payton and Doug Peterson are friends.

The talk that we ran up the score is (a) false; (b) demeaning to the Eagles as an NFL team, much less the defending Super Bowl champions--this is not eighth-grade football; and (c) misleading because it diminishes the extent of the Saints' domination of the game--we didn't score a cheap touchdown with two minutes to go, and the margin of victory could have been worse had we actually tried to run up the score. Simply stated, at what point in the game with how much time remaining should the Saints have tried to stopped scoring points.

FL_Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Whenever anyone says anything about running up the score, I just reply that the falcons were up 28-3 late in the third qtr of the Super Bowl.

Deltabull

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I guess we should have punted the ball back to them on 1st down and kept our defense on the field the entire 4 th qtr

terrytogo

Whatever my peers call me
Reaction score
Why do NBA, Major League & NHL teams never complain about running up the score? Only NFL.

CabezaDeBakka

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The Saints players get paid to play the entire game. With it being a home game, they handled business for their paying customers. Eagles should have done more to stop them, but they hosed it the whole second half. No mercy, foot on throat.

renegadewa

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't happen often in the NFL but every now and again teams get blown out.
It happens!!

It's happened to the Saints way more than once over the years and not one time ever did I feel like the other team ran up the score.

If you don't like it then score more and keep the other team from scoring so much!!

NOLAJM504

-McNucca-
Reaction score
09/16/1973
Falcons 62
Saints 7

Atlanta broke more team records in a single game than any other team in NFL history, something they still list in their official history on their website.

Running up the score does exist. This game was it. :soapbox:
What happened the next game? I'm just curious.

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
What happened the next game? I'm just curious.
If you mean the next game that season, the Cowboys pounded the Saints, 40 to 3.
If you mean the next game with the Falcons, the Saints lost 14 to 10.
Overall, it was a 5 - 9 season for us.

I watched the 62 to 7 beatdown with my father, who got madder and madder with every score. He cut loose with his Sportsmanship speech, concluding it by stringing together a chain of profanities he learned in the Marines in the 1930s. Whew!

NOLAJM504

-McNucca-
Reaction score
If you mean the next game that season, the Cowboys pounded the Saints, 40 to 3.
If you mean the next game with the Falcons, the Saints lost 14 to 10.
Overall, it was a 5 - 9 season for us.

I watched the 62 to 7 beatdown with my father, who got madder and madder with every score. He cut loose with his Sportsmanship speech, concluding it by stringing together a chain of profanities he learned in the Marines in the 1930s. Whew!
Oh, I meant the next game against the Falcons -- as a counter point to those who say the Saints might lose because they ran up the score on the Eagles.

tinman

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
So, the guys who seldom get off the bench finally get a chance to show their stuff. Guys that are constantly having to prove they belong. You tell them to not try so hard cause we don't want to hurt the other teams feelings.

BroKV

Pelón
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers and Panthers scored 3TDs in under 30 seconds
I’ve seen back to back TDs in under 10 seconds

So with 14 minutes left in the game why should we NOT be scoring. Thing can change in an instant.

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Steelers and Panthers scored 3TDs in under 30 seconds
I’ve seen back to back TDs in under 10 seconds

So with 14 minutes left in the game why should we NOT be scoring. Thing can change in an instant.
In 1979 on Monday Night Football, the Saints blew a 35-14 lead, allowing Kenny Stabler and the Oakland Raiders to score 3 TDs to tie the game. The Raiders won 42-35.

"They just don't know how to win," Howard Cosell said of the Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom