The Worst Free Agent Signing in Saints History............................ (1 Viewer)

It's understandable how the Byrd signing was the worst. It cost a bundle, and he certainly did not give value for the cost. I would actually switch Byrd and Browner. Byrd just wasn't even close to playing well, but he wasn't the drive extending penalty machine that Browner was. Byrd was passively bad, whereas Browner was actively bad. I am judging more by the quality of their play than the discrepancy between their cost and the quality of their performance. If the latter is to be the primary criterion, then I agree that Byrd "wins" by a considerable margin.

I'd swap Byrd and Browner too. Byrd was fluff and no stuff. Never amounted to a couple beans, if he ever got off the bench. He had the easiest job in the NFL -- sitting there, doing nothing for years.

Browner though, was aggressively bad. He tried like crazy, and nothing but bad things happened. Bad, bad, bad. His presence on the field almost guaranteed the opposing "O" a couple of first downs. Crazy terrible bad!

One name beats then all:
Jason David
He was not even close to the defending receivers every play. He was like 5 yards from them.

i dont get how people argue browner was worse. Browner wasnt supposed to play, he wasnt paid like he was supposed to play against #1's a lot of the time. injuries and no pass rush made him worse. Byrd (and guys like jason david) were paid to deliver improvement and instead of that offered regression

The opportunity lose with Byrd was insane. We could have signed Jenkins and another big named free agent with what we paid Byrd. Browner was awful...but he wasn’t a big contract player, so you kind of get what you pay for.

He caught a few punts w/o fumbling ... that's about it.

While the cost for Byrd was way too high, I have to disagree.

No one got burned like toast worse than Jason David. He was marginal at best with the Colts, in a much different defense than what we had at the time the Saints got him. Never understood why that move was made.

The opportunity lose with Byrd was insane. We could have signed Jenkins and another big named free agent with what we paid Byrd. Browner was awful...but he wasn’t a big contract player, so you kind of get what you pay for.
Right. And/OR gotten Alex Mack because we desperately needed a center.

The Byrd signing was just a huge miss that had a trickle down effect because of the amount of money involved.

Albert Connell. Was seen as a player on the rise...tore the locker room to shreds. Never produced squat. When Payton came on board preaching "character counts" Connell was probably the poster boy for his focus on locker room chemistry. Byrd was injured and it shortened his career....I see that as a gamble that didn't pay off....that happens from time to time, it sucks but when dealing with human beings it's inevitable that it will happen to a franchise now and again. At least we only lost the money and not the locker room. That 28 mill he was guaranteed did hurt though....

Dale Carter gets an honorable mention from me as well...guy was a cancer. I can't recall now but I believe he was related to a then Saints player and the thought was he wouldn't be an issue.

It's Byrd and it's not even close. Especially because we lost Malcolm Jenkins in the process.

Jason David is bad, especially because he was an RFA and cost us a draft pic too.

But between the money on Byrd and the lack of even playing time (David sucked but at least he played mostly LOL), combined with losing MJ makes it by far the worst move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom