tommy shaw is beyond doubt the greatest songwriter of our generation (1 Viewer)

Blue collar man
Mam in the wilderness
Renegade
High enough
Mystified
Don't you tread on me
Too much time on my hands
Love in the midnight
Snow blind
Can you count on me
Girls with guns
Reach for the bottle

I could go on and on. Best songwriter of our generation

What is "our generation"? And that's like 12 songs - only four of which would be known to the average music fan.

But that's what's fun about music. You can have wacko opinions and no-one can tell you that it's wrong. I wouldn't throw "beyond doubt" around like that, but if Tommy's your boy, go for it.
I always liked him. I think he was just barely 18 when he joined Styx (if not 17).

Okay, wow. I'm going to have to put this fairly high up on my list of "claims I honestly never expected anyone to make, ever."

Yeah. Definitely my generation and I'm very familiar with his work. I like Shaw and his work with Styx. I never, ever had such a lofty opinion of him. And, TBH, Renegade is one of my least favorite Shaw efforts.

If we're going to keep it to '70s and '80s American rock, I'd still take Petty or the Boss. Also Gregg Allman. Or Henley, Fry, and the rest of the Eagles. Or the Doobie Brothers.

I mean, I'm not saying Shaw is crap, but put down the pipe.

The Boss and Petty for sure. I'd add Roger Waters, Jeff Lynne and Mark Knopfler. On the less rock side of things (and I may get flamed for this) Elton John/Taupin and Billy Joel.

The Boss and Petty for sure. I'd add Roger Waters, Jeff Lynne and Mark Knopfler. On the less rock side of things (and I may get flamed for this) Elton John/Taupin and Billy Joel.

I was going to reply but instead I'll just quote you. However, is have to throw in Prince. Love him or hate him the guy has written numerous songs for numerous acts over the late 70s/80s/90s. It would be very hard to not at least acknowledge his contribution.

I was keeping it narrow to American rockers. You start throwing Brits in and you've got the aforementioned Waters, and Lynne, plus the likes of Bowie, Townshend, Jagger, Clapton, etc... and suddenly I have trouble putting Shaw in the top 20.

I was keeping it narrow to American rockers. You start throwing Brits in and you've got the aforementioned Waters, and Lynne, plus the likes of Bowie, Townshend, Jagger, Clapton, etc... and suddenly I have trouble putting Shaw in the top 20.

Don't fret. There's nothing wrong with being rational.

Yeah, as I was typing those names in, it became obvious it was mostly artists from across the big pond. But, I gotta tip my hat to those blokes. They make some great contributions to the music industry. And though they get mixed reviews on here, I'm have the greatest appreciation for the Fab Four. Hell, while I'm at it, I'm also a huge fan of Cat "Yusuf Islam" Stevens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom