Tracy Porter (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about him this year? He was a hero for us all last year, but I haven't seen him make too many plays this year. Its also becoming a trend to see QB's go deep on him only for him draw a PI. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he needs to be replaced, but man I wish he'd locate the ball on deep routes. Those PI's could turn into INT's.

He's been good.

He had his worst game of the year last night, obviously.

But overall, I would grade him a B.

The PI in the end zone was just bad timing. A split second later and that would have been a good play. DBs are supposed to play the hands and swipe down at the forearms and force separation between the ball and the receivers body, making it much more difficult to hang onto. But hey, it happens. If you play DB, you're going to get called for PI at some point. I had more of a problem with the slant route Greer gave up at the goal line than Porter's PI... Gotta know that route is coming 1 on 1! Take away the inside at all costs and play the fade ball. Sharper had a great game, keeping all the receivers in front of him and really preventing the deep ball all game.

He's been good.

He had his worst game of the year last night, obviously.

But overall, I would grade him a B.

Really, I find the posts on this board after game day to be completely baffling.

Porter got beat a couple of times. Greer got beat a couple of times. Those guys were playing on an island and that's one of the reasons why Gonzales was a non-factor.

In general, Ryan didn't throw to his wideouts, and if you watched when he was looking down field, he was double clutching a lot. Both Porter and Greer had plays where they made fantastic breaks on the ball. The PI on Porter in the field (not in the endzone) was a close call, but really and incredible defensive play. Technically he may have interfered, but the contact didn't affect the receiver at all.

Our corners have played great this year. I think they are being challenged a bit more just because our safeties (like Jenkins) have been incredible as well.

In other words Saints fans, don't be spoiled. The other team has good players, and they're going to make some plays.

The problem he has been having is he's been playing the WR and not the ball. This was the 3rd time he got a costly PI on him for not turning his head to locate the ball. Other than that, he has done a very good job of covering WR's.

3rd and 1 with the game on the line
Do you follow your blocker into the line or do you make sure.

Pierre's still there and the heart beats Black & Gold.
Bring on the playoffs

Say what you will but our guys always talk about "just having another chance to make a play." Porter's PI was exactly that. He knew he was beat and prevented a sure TD. Soon after our guys stripped Turner on the goal line. WIN.

The PI in the end zone was just bad timing. A split second later and that would have been a good play. DBs are supposed to play the hands and swipe down at the forearms and force separation between the ball and the receivers body, making it much more difficult to hang onto. But hey, it happens. If you play DB, you're going to get called for PI at some point. I had more of a problem with the slant route Greer gave up at the goal line than Porter's PI... Gotta know that route is coming 1 on 1! Take away the inside at all costs and play the fade ball. Sharper had a great game, keeping all the receivers in front of him and really preventing the deep ball all game.

I think Greer was expecting the corner route--they like to run those routes with the Greer-White matchup because of the height disadvantage. It just seemed like Greer kind of jumped for outside leverage and guessed wrong.

Going from memory, the way the Saints were lined up, it appeared that Greer had inside help. But at the snap, those defenders charged toward the line of scrimmage. My assumption is that given the alignment, you would expect the receiver to run to the corner, away from the inside help. So Greer favored the outside.

It's awfully hard if not impossible to cover both the inside and outside routes by yourself in that situation.

It was just a good play by Atlanta all the way around.

Cornerbacks in this league have a thankless task. Just ask the Jets corners. Heros last year, goats this year.

Really, I find the posts on this board after game day to be completely baffling.

Porter got beat a couple of times. Greer got beat a couple of times. Those guys were playing on an island and that's one of the reasons why Gonzales was a non-factor.

In general, Ryan didn't throw to his wideouts, and if you watched when he was looking down field, he was double clutching a lot. Both Porter and Greer had plays where they made fantastic breaks on the ball. The PI on Porter in the field (not in the endzone) was a close call, but really and incredible defensive play. Technically he may have interfered, but the contact didn't affect the receiver at all.

Our corners have played great this year. I think they are being challenged a bit more just because our safeties (like Jenkins) have been incredible as well.

In other words Saints fans, don't be spoiled. The other team has good players, and they're going to make some plays.

Totally agree.

There were a few plays but corners will give up plays, it happens. But Ryan had 148 yards and White had 48 yards - something like that. And we didn't sack him that much . . . it was just all around solid defense that included good play by the corners. I can think of a couple passes he knocked down. Yeah, the penalties were bad, but really - the deep Jenkins penalty saved a sure TD and then Turner fumbled. Porter shouldn't have gotten beat so easily, but sometimes taking the foul (instead of giving up the score)can work in your favor.

Another thing that Porter was very good at last night was run stopping. I can think of two plays were he sealed the corner that allowed the D to keep Turner at no gain.

Totally agree.

There were a few plays but corners will give up plays, it happens. But Ryan had 148 yards and White had 48 yards - something like that. And we didn't sack him that much . . . it was just all around solid defense and good play by the corners. I can think of a couple passes he knocked down. Yeah, the penalties were bad, but really - the deep Jenkins penalty saved a sure TD and then Turner fumbled. Porter shouldn't have gotten beat so easily, but sometimes taking the foul can work in your favor.

Another thing that Porter was very good at last night was run stopping. I can think of two plays were he sealed the corner that allowed the D to keep Turner at no gain.

Historically, Porter gets beat time to time just like that. He baits quarterbacks sometimes, and he makes guesses and jumps routes. You're going to get burned like that sometimes, but it makes quarterbacks very, very nervous. That's why I think they tend to throw more towards Greers side--he's better at shadowing a receiver than Porter, but he's more of a technician and less crafty than Porter.

You never know when Porter is going to jump a route and get the pick.

I am with you, I clicked on this tread to comment that the OP must not have watched last night's game, only to find where someone else had posted that TP had his worst game last night.

Come on guys, TP played a helluva game last night not only in coverage but in run support.

Unfreakingbelievable.

Historically, Porter gets beat time to time just like that. He baits quarterbacks sometimes, and he makes guesses and jumps routes. You're going to get burned like that sometimes, but it makes quarterbacks very, very nervous. That's why I think they tend to throw more towards Greers side--he's better at shadowing a receiver than Porter, but he's more of a technician and less crafty than Porter.

You never know when Porter is going to jump a route and get the pick.

Right. Last year, he was our second best play maker in the secondary next to Sharper. But I believe he's only recorded one interception this year with only 6 passes defensed. I'm just waiting for his bait to actually work because some QB's have been giving him intercept-able balls but he's just not locating the ball in time.

Please tell me we're not complaining about our CBs. We gave up 215 total yards last night.

Right. Last year, he was our second best play maker in the secondary next to Sharper. But I believe he's only recorded one interception this year with only 6 passes defensed. I'm just waiting for his bait to actually work because some QB's have been giving him intercept-able balls but he's just not locating the ball in time.

Yeah, but how many TD's have been thrown against us this year?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom