Trading Down at 19? (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Given our draft history, the odds of our trading down in the first round seem comparable to, say, the odds of John Kennedy voting to confirm Ketanji Brown for the Supreme Court. But hear me out. I am assuming that the Saints made yesterday's trade not to trade up for a quarterback or other player, but to replenish a weak offense by drafting multiple offensive players and to draft at 16 an offensive tackle they really like. What if at 19 the receivers we really liked are off the board, but there are several receivers we do like and can get if we trade down?

We have a number of needs on offense: offensive tackle, two wide receivers, tight end and running back. My draft philosophy is to get as many high picks as possible, to largely let the draft come to you, to pick your spots when trading up, and generally not to trade away future picks--that is, the complete opposite of what the Saints seemingly do every year.

But the Saints just might be able to trade down in the first round and get a receiver they covet--or even a quarterback they might secretly like.

That possibility crossed my mind, as well. Improbable but it could play out like you stated.

Given our draft history, the odds of our trading down in the first round seem comparable to, say, the odds of John Kennedy voting to confirm Ketanji Brown for the Supreme Court. But hear me out. I am assuming that the Saints made yesterday's trade not to trade up for a quarterback or other player, but to replenish a weak offense by drafting multiple offensive players and to draft at 16 an offensive tackle they really like. What if at 19 the receivers we really liked are off the board, but there are several receivers we do like and can get if we trade down?

We have a number of needs on offense: offensive tackle, two wide receivers, tight end and running back. My draft philosophy is to get as many high picks as possible, to largely let the draft come to you, to pick your spots when trading up, and generally not to trade away future picks--that is, the complete opposite of what the Saints seemingly do every year.

But the Saints just might be able to trade down in the first round and get a receiver they covet--or even a quarterback they might secretly like.

Off topic, but not really. In this post there is a reference to a Senator and a SCOTUS nominee. Was/is there a warning? After all I got a scolding and points deducted while mentioning “Biden” in a comment. Maybe the mods can educate me?

As always, it all depends on someone wanting to trade up. The phones are always open come draft day. But given our draft history, and the fact we even made this trade to begin with, I highly doubt it.

Ozzy, I was not trying to make a political point of any kind. Though I have an opinion, I realize this is not the forum for that discussion, and I really was not trying to be critical of Senator Kennedy or Judge Brown. I was just trying to illustrate, given our draft history, how unlikely our trading down seemed to be.

I would trade if Olave, Wilson, London are not there. I’m not a fan of Burks, and I’d bet on us getting either Dotson or Skyy Moore late in the first. This is assuming we grab a QB with the first pick.

In the second we could get a tackle and another receiver or a defensive player.

My theory/hope is that we may be able to move some of our players for picks.

In my my mocks, I can usually trade my 5 for several 6’s and 7’s. I do this to avoid the UDFA frenzy.

I’d be happy with a trade back. And I’d be amazed as we seldom do that.
I too think a trade back would be a way to go with all our needs, but sadly just don’t think that kind of move is in the Saints DNA! What we could do with a late 2nd or 3rd round choice!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom