Trading Down at 19? (2 Viewers)

That makes no sense at all.
So we traded up…only to trade down again, maybe not even getting the compensation back we gave up in the first place? At best you probably break even in value, which makes the original trade up pointless.

That makes sense to you?

Last edited:
Why would it make no sense at all?
To give up all we gave to trade up, including a 1st and 2nd rounder, only to then trade down for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, which is what you’ll get going from say, 19 to the mid/late-20s?

Maybe I’m just nuts. I don’t get it.

Last edited:
Off topic, but not really. In this post there is a reference to a Senator and a SCOTUS nominee. Was/is there a warning? After all I got a scolding and points deducted while mentioning “Biden” in a comment. Maybe the mods can educate me?
While I see how it’s probably best to just avoid all unnecessary politics…I don’t think that it was a partisan comment, and that’s the variety that gets people into
trouble.

To give up all we gave to trade up, including a 1st and 2nd rounder, only to then trade down for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, which is what you’ll get going from say, 19 to the mid/late-20s?

Maybe I’m just nuts. I don’t get it.
I do see your pov.

I would trade if Olave, Wilson, London are not there. I’m not a fan of Burks, and I’d bet on us getting either Dotson or Skyy Moore late in the first. This is assuming we grab a QB with the first pick.

In the second we could get a tackle and another receiver or a defensive player.
Burks will be better than all of them.

In all honesty, we don’t have a ton of holes to fill. Don’t we already have like 9 picks in this draft? Point is, we definitely need quality over quantity here, and that’s what the Saints have always preferred, as well.
100% Agree... 9 picks or whatever is a nice haul... I have always agreed with the Saints trading UP to get a higher quality than trading down for quantity

The trade DOWN crowd just likes the excitement of Draft Day. I like the excitement of seeing us win on Sundays in the fall

I don't think they traded high picks in the next 2 years to trade down. I could see a trade up, but I have no idea what player that would be. I didn't follow college as much as I normally do this past year.

Agreed.

My thing with safety is I don’t/didn’t view Williams and Jenkins as elite, at all. I know (especially with Marcus) that’s a terrible opinion to have here, but it’s still the one I have. Both players were decent imo but very replaceable.

I look forward to seeing if I’m right or wrong, especially pertaining to the loss of Williams.

You mention guard and backer, I think we need more help at those two spots than we do at safety. We have very little behind DD at backer and we have two (imo) sub par guards.
If you seen all the clown reactions I got for saying Marcus was replaceable obviously the front office thinks the same

Marcus Williams was the difference between 1 Super Bowl and 2 just saying
I will never understand the love fest for Williams. He is not a solid tackler, doesn't get a lot of picks and is always (it seems) late to the ball. Not really a characteristic you want as your last line of defense. Maybe it's just me.

100% Agree... 9 picks or whatever is a nice haul... I have always agreed with the Saints trading UP to get a higher quality than trading down for quantity

The trade DOWN crowd just likes the excitement of Draft Day. I like the excitement of seeing us win on Sundays in the fall
In general, I like moving up and targeting key players. It should be flexible, though and situation oriented. If at our second pick in the first, the players we had hoped to be there are gone and the next BPA on your board (or even 2 to 3 secondary options) would be considered a reach & those options are obtainable a few picks later, it's smart to move down and get some extra draft capital. If no one is interested in swapping picks, then you go with your BPA board.

If you seen all the clown reactions I got for saying Marcus was replaceable obviously the front office thinks the same
Right? 💯 agree.
Anything but singing his praises was frowned upon here lol. I like the player but didn’t think he was special at all, and as you said, the FO felt about the same.

As to your other above post, I don’t think we were good enough to win the super bowl the year he blew the tackle…

I will never understand the love fest for Williams. He is not a solid tackler, doesn't get a lot of picks and is always (it seems) late to the ball. Not really a characteristic you want as your last line of defense. Maybe it's just me.
Neither will I. And I’m not even speaking of his late game blunder at Minny.

Louie doesnt think it is Mickeys intensions but

our #19 pick is going to be very very very VALUABLE to a team that wants to jump in front of Pitt at #20 who will grab either Picket or Willis if they are still on the board (or even Corral

for example Detroit will give their #32 pick and hopefully their 1st round pick next year (top 5) to get our #19

In general, I like moving up and targeting key players. It should be flexible, though and situation oriented. If at our second pick in the first, the players we had hoped to be there are gone and the next BPA on your board (or even 2 to 3 secondary options) would be considered a reach & those options are obtainable a few picks later, it's smart to move down and get some extra draft capital. If no one is interested in swapping picks, then you go with your BPA board.
I’m ok with flexibility but draft capital does not mean much to me. Give me 3 or 4 players a year that make the team better. At least one who is a stud. And let the others figure out what to do with 10 rookies

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom