Trading Down at 19? (1 Viewer)

In all honesty, we don’t have a ton of holes to fill. Don’t we already have like 9 picks in this draft? Point is, we definitely need quality over quantity here, and that’s what the Saints have always preferred, as well.
Think we have 7 picks. Also think we have about 7 holes.
WRx2
TEx1
Tackle x1
Guard x1 maybe 2
Linebacker x1 (Davis is long in the tooth and not much behind him)
Dline x1

Think we have 7 picks. Also think we have about 7 holes.
WRx2
TEx1
Tackle x1
Guard x1 maybe 2
Linebacker x1 (Davis is long in the tooth and not much behind him)
Dline x1
Ah, maybe we had 9 picks before the trade. I heard that number somewhere. I know those positions you mentioned are definite future needs, but I am counting holes as what’s needed to step in right away and contribute. By that count, I say we have 4 main holes. WR, OT, RB, and safety. Even one playmaking receiver to pair with Thomas, along with Harris, Callaway and the others brings that group up to not be a weakness.

Really, if the Saints thought they could get the same quality players by trading back and acquiring more picks, it is certainly an option. I just don’t know if that’s in their blood to do so. If the price was right, and they had their eye on somewhere still there, I’m all for it, though. We are going to need to keep building for the future, as we lose some of our vets soon and will still face the cap issues.

Ah, maybe we had 9 picks before the trade. I heard that number somewhere. I know those positions you mentioned are definite future needs, but I am counting holes as what’s needed to step in right away and contribute. By that count, I say we have 4 main holes. WR, OT, RB, and safety. Even one playmaking receiver to pair with Thomas, along with Harris, Callaway and the others brings that group up to not be a weakness.

Really, if the Saints thought they could get the same quality players by trading back and acquiring more picks, it is certainly an option. I just don’t know if that’s in their blood to do so. If the price was right, and they had their eye on somewhere still there, I’m all for it, though. We are going to need to keep building for the future, as we lose some of our vets soon and will still face the cap issues.
Agreed on RB being a need, and not an UDFA type need. I forgot to list that position.

I’m in the minority as I don’t see safety being a big need.

Ozzy, I was not trying to make a political point of any kind. Though I have an opinion, I realize this is not the forum for that discussion, and I really was not trying to be critical of Senator Kennedy or Judge Brown. I was just trying to illustrate, given our draft history, how unlikely our trading down seemed to be.
U really shouldn't even have to explain what is obvious.

Playing with fire trading back after trading up since we traded next year's first almost have to hit on 16 and 19 so the critics dont start calling for jobs especially if we miss the playoffs again

Agreed on RB being a need, and not an UDFA type need. I forgot to list that position.

I’m in the minority as I don’t see safety being a big need.
I think there’s a good bit of uncertainty at safety after losing two great starters. I guess needs can be subjective to an extent. It all comes down to prioritizing what position upgrades improve our overall chances the most. But yeah, there’s also the future to think about. Future LB, guards, etc. Will be interesting to see what we do.

Honestly, everything is on the table. Moving up (I’m against it for the most part but could be ok with it), staying put, or moving down. No one will know what is the best option until draft night. There’s pros and cons for each option

I think there’s a good bit of uncertainty at safety after losing two great starters. I guess needs can be subjective to an extent. It all comes down to prioritizing what position upgrades improve our overall chances the most. But yeah, there’s also the future to think about. Future LB, guards, etc. Will be interesting to see what we do.
Agreed.

My thing with safety is I don’t/didn’t view Williams and Jenkins as elite, at all. I know (especially with Marcus) that’s a terrible opinion to have here, but it’s still the one I have. Both players were decent imo but very replaceable.

I look forward to seeing if I’m right or wrong, especially pertaining to the loss of Williams.

You mention guard and backer, I think we need more help at those two spots than we do at safety. We have very little behind DD at backer and we have two (imo) sub par guards.

1649303767612.png

I normally don't accept trades when I'm playing with mock drafts. But I did this time just to see how it played out.
Then I went and did a very Saintsy move and drafted OT and a Safety in round one just to burn Saintsreport to the ground.

Then I got two big WRs in round 2 with the extra second round pick I acquired. Didn't get any of the sexy WRs we all keep
talking up, but double dipped hoping one or both turn out to be 1st round quality. (Like CGM did). Then I took a do-it-all
TE from Ohio State, a very good RB to pair with Kamara, and finally a LB for 2023.

Some would say it was a waste of next year's 1st round pick to trade back with one of our two first rounders, but I disagree.
Olave was gone, Jameson is a question mark to me with the ACL tear and may not be ready until later in the season having
missed OTA's and Camp. So I traded back and ended up getting a safety which we also need, and I didn't have to take him
at #19 where he'd have been a little bit of a reach. All that and still ended up with two potential upgrades at receiver and
another at TE. The trade back allowed me to get two WRs and still cover all my other bases.

All 7 project as starters. Clark would probably have to wait until next year but would get to spend the season under D. Davis'
wing.

The only trade back that makes sense to me, assuming who we wanted at 19 is gone, is a desperate Detroit wanting a QB at 19 they don't think will be there at 32.

We would win the trade value game if the Lions were nervous.
19+98 for 32+34

Anything can happen…but we already traded up…..I don’t think it’s likely we trade back….maybe if the draft takes an unexpected turn….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom