Trading up to draft the next Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

If you magically KNOW someone is the next Drew Brees, yes, you give up your entire draft for him. A 13 year , SB, HOF QB is priceless.

Too bad that's unknowable, and too bad we have no good draft choices to gamble on a good college prospect.

The problem with the selling the farm is that you can leave your team so thin in other areas the player you sell the farm for can look bad because they don't have the support. QBs need a line and receivers to get open and catch the ball. Its also nice to have a decent defense so they don't have to the pressure to put up 400 yards/3 TDs every week or lose.

everyone made fun of ditka because he was a moron and went on TV and told the world he would give up his entire draft for ricky williams, then he wanted to see what other teams wanted and imagine that, they wanted our entire draft just like the idiot said he would give them.

then ricky was a bust and a pot smoking head case

i dont fault him for drafting him, i fault him for being an idiot and offering everything he had before they even started to negotiate a deal

I disagree that Williams was a bust he had two 1000+ yards seasons in his three years here and we were able to mostly recover his value in the trade with Miami (two first round picks, which we then squandered by thats another story)

If the Patriots knew how good Brady was going to be, they wouldn’t have drafted him in the 6th round

Tom Brady is a 6th round QB and the only one of his kind. Horrible argument.

My point is (which seems to be sorely missed in this discussion):

1. Payton has found late-round (and undrafted) talent at RB, WR, TE, OL...basically every position on offense EXCEPT QB (the QBs he has taken have gone on to other teams and done little to nothing)
2. There have been very good QBs drafted in later rounds
3. Payton has yet to prove to me that he can draft an NFL caliber starting QB. Maybe the need just hasn't been there yet or maybe the last 10 years haven't produced a lot of late-round gems. Regardless of the reason, his eye for draft-steals seems to be fantastic for every offensive position EXCEPT QB.

I disagree that Williams was a bust he had two 1000+ yards seasons in his three years here and we were able to mostly recover his value in the trade with Miami (two first round picks, which we then squandered by thats another story)
ya i forgot we got two firsts for him in the trade and that and that alone is the only thing that saved us for what we gave up.

my point was he never was producing at the value for what we gave up to get him. but thats all on ditka for insanely overpaying to get him, its not a knock on ricky. for what we gave up, the only way he could be seen as worth it is if he turned out to be barry sanders and played his entire career here

ricky was a good back and well deserved as a first round pick, just not the 6-7 picks we gave up to get him

1. Payton has found late-round (and undrafted) talent at RB, WR, TE, OL...basically every position on offense EXCEPT QB (the QBs he has taken have gone on to other teams and done little to nothing)
3. Payton has yet to prove to me that he can draft an NFL caliber starting QB. Maybe the need just hasn't been there yet or maybe the last 10 years haven't produced a lot of late-round gems. Regardless of the reason, his eye for draft-steals seems to be fantastic for every offensive position EXCEPT QB.
How much of that was scouting and how much CSP himself?

We haven't drafted a QB with our new scouting department.

The 1st full year with our established drafting heads was 2016. Our old scouts handled most of 2015.

How much of that was scouting and how much CSP himself?

That is the question. I always assumed that CSP had a big hand in the QBs taken since that is his specialty but no way to really know who pulls the trigger. I've always been a fan of finding a team that drafts a certain position well (kinda like we do with running backs or OL) then trade for or poach from their practice squad. Essentially what we did with Green Bay when they had Favre, Brunell, and Brooks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom