Trevor Penning’s pass protection is improving each week (1 Viewer)

Impossible. I learned on SR that he’s not nearly athletic enough to play tackle and he’s destined to be a serviceable guard. (His high level athleticism is literally what made him a 1st rd prospect).

Yes he has improved but my concern is the rest of them
The real problem are the guards. Whatever Hurts plays, the tackle seems to have horrible games. Wherever Peat plays, the tackle play is improved, but not great. We need Ruiz back. And we definitely need to upgrade that LG spot in the offseason.

Glad someone else noticed. Penning has been getting better every week. With his rate of improvement by mid season Penning will be the team’s best O lineman (which isn’t saying much - the world’s tallest midget syndrome). He is the only Saints lineman getting better.

Great to see progress, out of the starting five he can probably contribute the most to the improvement of the line because of his untapped potential.
All offensive linemen get beat now and then. All have bad games now and then. First 3 weeks we saw our OL taking turns getting beat badly and quickly in pass pro and not winning as individuals or as a unit in run blocking. They whole unit "looked" better this week although some of that was AK needing less of a hole than other RBs and those 13 quick-hitter throws to AK that went nowhere. But on 3rd downs, Carr seemed to have more time for those double-covered receiver bunches near both sidelines that also went nowhere.

I hope this is the beginning of the "fix". OL continues to improve and Carmichael, Carr, and the receivers get in sync and with better plans of attack. I feel like with nothing working week 1 or week 2 due to OL and everything going to hades when Carr got hurt in week 3, that maybe week 4 was worse than it had to be. Maybe things start improving now.

All offensive linemen get beat now and then. All have bad games now and then. First 3 weeks we saw our OL taking turns getting beat badly and quickly in pass pro and not winning as individuals or as a unit in run blocking. They whole unit "looked" better this week although some of that was AK needing less of a hole than other RBs and those 13 quick-hitter throws to AK that went nowhere. But on 3rd downs, Carr seemed to have more time for those double-covered receiver bunches near both sidelines that also went nowhere.

I hope this is the beginning of the "fix". OL continues to improve and Carmichael, Carr, and the receivers get in sync and with better plans of attack. I feel like with nothing working week 1 or week 2 due to OL and everything going to hades when Carr got hurt in week 3, that maybe week 4 was worse than it had to be. Maybe things start improving now.
Makes such a big difference when you can block four with five, it opens up your passing game. Also, I would think Carr would settle down on his progressions if he had more faith in his protection.

I guess I have been a Saints fan too long. In reading this positive thread I just know that Penning will get annihilated next week. That's the Saints way. Set you up to watch you fall.

I realize what the Saints gave up in order to make it happen, but if they end up with a franchise left tackle and franchise WR#1 (Olave) from the 2022 draft... Add to it Alontae Taylor was drafted that year as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom