trying to be humble but i won the game today with the 'freeze" play (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Its the third quarter. I am watching the game with my two sons and their two friends. As is customary I have control over the tivo remote.

Vick goes back to pass. He lets a long one go and as soon as it leaves his hand I yell "freeze play" and pause the play with the ball suspended in mid air just out of Vick's hands.

Well my oldest goes nuts. "Start the play" he yells. I calmly told the crew to keep their shirts on as I started the play in super slow motion. The debate began as we watched frame by frame. Its overthrown was our first thought.

Then Roddy White came into the picture. At first he looked covered but as the ball came to him underthrown and the saints defender over ran the play, it appeared it would fall into Whire's his lap at the ten. My oldest blames me for freezing the play. I confess a moment of despair as I figured White would not only catch the ball but likely cut back across field and score as the defender had badly over ran the ball.

Frame by frame the ball came closer to White and White closer to the ball. Then the ball dropped into his lap and the angry crew of boys turned on me for freezing the play. But wait. Another frame goes by and White seems to have lost the handle. In the next frame the ball is clearly out, in the next its near the ground. I then hit play as the ball hits the ground and we are all rewarded with the beautiful sounds of a collective groan in the Georgia dome as the tivo goes back to real time.

And I, the freezer, have gone from goat to hero. You see, my first born son doubted me when I taught him to turn down the sound for key field goal attempts by the saints. Now he cant listen to a field goal, he makes me turn down the radio.

We also now have the "freeze". The same group of boys that groaned when I froze Vicks pass later beseeched me to freeze a key third down pass by Brees in the fourth quarter.

I warned them you had to be selective with the 'freeze' but I agreed it was the right time. Drew was in a nice pocket and released the ball just as the pocket collapsed. I froze the ball a couple feet out of his hand and surveyed my group as to what they though would happen. We all agreed the ball had been thrown as if Drew had an open receiver. So I started the play back in slow motion, frame by frame.

The cheering increased with each frame as an open Joe Horn came into the picture. He had run an out but then curled back inside. Horn and the pass were on a collision course as each frame went by and my group were now firm believers in my 'freeze' play. Horn would not drop this pass we all knew as it neared him. Just as Horn cradled in the ball I hit play on the tivo returning it to full speed just in time to hear that glorious groan from the falcons fan as Horn made the first down.

The "freeze" had come through again and I was rewarded with a hearty round of high fives.

People, it just dont get no better than watching the saints beat the falcons with your sons and their friends congratulating you for making it happen. No sirree. It gets no better. And dont try and tell me it wasnt me freezing the plays at the right time that made the difference. It was the "freeze" that did it. Ask my boys, they will tell you.
:wos_sport8:

Danchrism

Reaction score
lol, its like the commercial with the boy watching football with his dad

"I can *snap* freeze time (game action stops)"

Shibby

Fleur de ****in' Lis!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Such an awesome post!

I need to try that. I always stand up when Brees airs one out. I always get that secure feeling when he goes deep... I get the same feeling when JaMarcus does the that too. Their deep balls are so clutch.

watts

@saintsinthe70s
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Similiar to the "JINKIES" at my homestead.

Only to be used a few times a year, if you see an opposng kicker line up for a crucial kick you MUST run up to the TV and touch the kicker and yell "JINKIES".

They always miss.

OP
st dude

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Similiar to the "JINKIES" at my homestead.

Only to be used a few times a year, if you see an opposng kicker line up for a crucial kick you MUST run up to the TV and touch the kicker and yell "JINKIES".

They always miss.

Jinkies?

Watts, touching an opposing kicker and yelling "jinkies" is about the dumbest thing I ever heard.

I think I'll give it a try, though, and let you know if it works. :D

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Jinkies?

Watts, touching an opposing kicker and yelling "jinkies" is about the dumbest thing I ever heard.

I think I'll give it a try, though, and let you know if it works. :D

Sounds like someone watched one to many Scooby-Doo shows

boxerharley

Very Banned
Reaction score
St..... That post has sent a tear running out of my eye.... dripping in to this cold , frosty , celabratory Bud Light I am having...Thank you !!!

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That is HILARIOUS!!!! I think you would be tied up and watching the game through a window if you did that to me.

Wolbrat

Need more coffee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
st dude, you can try to take all the credit, but I KNOW that we won the game because my baby was wearing his Saints onesie and bib. He has worn it for every victory so far. Last week, he was in his church clothes until the second half of the game, and obviously you know what happened.

I am willing to give you a partial credit on the victory. ;)

champ76

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
st dude, you can try to take all the credit, but I KNOW that we won the game because my baby was wearing his Saints onesie and bib. He has worn it for every victory so far. Last week, he was in his church clothes until the second half of the game, and obviously you know what happened.

I am willing to give you a partial credit on the victory. ;)
I hope that kid doesn't grow too much before the Super Bowl!

Grant Backer Two

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cool post.
Blue,
Every single time I get my thoughts together for a fun post about our Saints, you drop in with your comments, and I lose my concentration......
I appreciate the momentary escape... :)

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's great, because I thought I was the only one who used the freeze play...at least I am not alone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Now healthy, Saints Patrick Robinson 'just trying to show what I can still do' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No fans in Superdome for Week 3 vs. Packers, but Saints 'hopeful' to have fans for Chargers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Podcast: Saints @ Raiders Game Preview Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Kicking game quality is ace in the hole for Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Michael Thomas injury: Here's what Saints did on 13 snaps without star WR in Buccaneers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bill N/S ***Burrow's Bengals vs Mayfield's Browns Game Thread*** Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 304
Billgluckman That little trick play at the end of the game.. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 35
gummbo70114 Rewatch Tampa versus Saints game on NFL network at 7 PM central time Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Gentilly504 Over or Under(ratings)for Saints Monday Night Game? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Will we see an increased emphasis on the run game? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Saints keeping it (under) 100... Everything you need to know about the defense's 44-game streak Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Dan in Lafayette Game analysis with T-Bob Hebert & Nick Underhill Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
kansast Game with New Orleans Radio broadcast Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Watching/Reading the recaps from the first game, I'm not sure the Saints were even there. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
3 Takeaways from the New Orleans Saints vs Tampa Bay Bucs game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 15: More takeaways from Saints week 1 game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints-Bucs draws high ratings for opening week game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus The Eerie Silence of an N.F.L. Stadium Makes the Game Even More for TV SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara SNF ratings for huge Cowboys/Rams game has to ring the alarm bells for the NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 184
Michael Thomas suffers high-ankle injury at the end of Saints vs Bucs game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Nightshade Retired Saints FB Zach Line still dressing out for game days -- from his couch Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
superchuck500 Morstead turns in another brilliant game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Andrus Saints defense & special teams keep offense in the game to beat Bucs 34–23 SR News Page Articles 0
CowtownSaint This is Still a Game of Emotion Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Saint Kamara The pre-2017 Drew Brees has a 3 interception game on days like today Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Big opening win still isn’t what a Saints game in the Dome is supposed to be Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super44 Trey Hendrickson; outstanding game. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 37
Andrus Saints stand for National Anthem during first home game SR News Page Articles 0
Good thing we play our next game on a Monday Night Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Payton: “That was as bad of a game as I’ve had as a playcaller.” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 102
Saint Kamara And that's what the first preseason game looks like Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Saints 17 Buccaneers 7: 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
N/S 4th and inches, game on the line... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Saints vs Buccaneers game inactives Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Krodwhodat What game are you looking forward to today other than the Saints? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Bill Analysis ***Official Buccaneers @ Saints Game Day Thread*** Gameday Board 2165
Dan in Lafayette Tailgate Official Saints vs. Bucs Pre-Game Thread Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 128
Need help watching game! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 31
woohoosaint Predict the outcome of the Saints vs Bucs game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
woohoosaint Anybody else getting the night before the opening game jitters?! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Andrus Saints Promote 2 From Practice Squad for Buccaneers Game SR News Page Articles 0
Saints add Bennie Fowler and Margus Hunt to game day roster Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buccaneers elevate two for Sunday’s game at New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton seamed to be caught off guard by no fans for game 3 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Walker: Leonard Fournette gets long-awaited game in Superdome Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints not cleared to host fans for Sept. 27 game vs. Packers SR News Page Articles 0
Saints vs. Buccaneers: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bruce Arians: Mike Evans probably will be a game-time decision Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cantrell no fans for entire September including GB game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 141
UFCSaint Results for those who would/would not watch the Texans/Chiefs game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18