Trying to keep it rolling without Payton and everyone else is the WRONG move imo (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The easy thing to do is to promote Allen and keep everyone else. Slide Richard or Nielsen into the DC role and trust Carmichael to call plays.

I think that's the wrong move.

Do I think there will be a HUGE dropoff in play calling with Carmichael? No.

But Payton is much more than a play caller. He brought the intangibles: confidence and swag to the team.

He was the emotional leader.

That is not easy to replicate. Maybe DA calls ambush in the SB. But do the players believe it's going to work like they did with Payton?

Loomis is in a really unenviable position. Bring in a new coach, who will likely want to bring in his own guys and force you to get rid of some very good coaches, or roll it out with the same crew minus Payton.

Keep in mind, that WITH Payton, we have struggled in the playoffs and couldn't get it done.

I think Payton is a great coach but there's no doubt we've underachieved. Sean McVay has been to as many SBs and NFCCGs as Payton did in like 1/4 the time.

It's time to start over.

This is going to be a great moment for Loomis and his decision on the direction of the team.

Who knows what will happen. Definitely exciting but torturous at the same time. I feel sick…….haha

I think it's going to be Allen.

Loomis is an older guy. He's been around a lot of these guys more than a decade. He's probably nearing retirement himself.

I seriously doubt he's going to shake it up and go with a brand new guy his last few years.

He's comfortable and will make the comfortable hire, which is Allen.

I don't agree with it, but I'm also not a quasi owner of the team like Mickey is.

And this all seems to have maybe been put in motion last year.

Remember when Nielsen was all set to go to LSU? Payton said nah, man stick around. He probably had an inkling that he was out and Nielsen would be in line to replace DA.

I don't think Payton would retire if he thought his staff was going to get fired.

If they try to retain the current staff and promote from within, I can't help but think Payton is just taking a long break and will be coming back.

If they start to firesale coaches or bring in a HC and let him bring in his own staff... then Payton's done done.

If they try to retain the current staff and promote from within, I can't help but think Payton is just taking a long break and will be coming back.

If they start to firesale coaches or bring in a HC and let him bring in his own staff... then Payton's done done.
Has any coach in the history of the NFL taken off a year voluntarily and come back to the same team? That's not happening.

What happens if DA goes 14-2. Sorry Dennis, Payton's back.

With all the teams in search of a Head Coach I think promote from within is the way to go. They know what we have.

Has any coach in the history of the NFL taken off a year voluntarily and come back to the same team? That's not happening.

What happens if DA goes 14-2. Sorry Dennis, Payton's back.

Not trying to be a hater/doubter, but I can't see anyone on this current staff being an upgrade from Payton. Especially when the glaring need is offensive overhauling. To try to keep the coaching staff as-is would make no sense unless Payton was coming back.

Dallas radio is pretty strong on Payton in 2023, or possibly next season. Jerry will money whip him. I don’t think he will return to New Orleans.

Payton was also never a defensive coach which made him one dimensional. He loves to air it out and refused to build a physical running game.

I’m all for a change with someone like Mike Zimmer or someone who can build a team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom