Trying to keep it rolling without Payton and everyone else is the WRONG move imo (1 Viewer)

The easy thing to do is to promote Allen and keep everyone else. Slide Richard or Nielsen into the DC role and trust Carmichael to call plays.

I think that's the wrong move.

Do I think there will be a HUGE dropoff in play calling with Carmichael? No.

But Payton is much more than a play caller. He brought the intangibles: confidence and swag to the team.

He was the emotional leader.

That is not easy to replicate. Maybe DA calls ambush in the SB. But do the players believe it's going to work like they did with Payton?

Loomis is in a really unenviable position. Bring in a new coach, who will likely want to bring in his own guys and force you to get rid of some very good coaches, or roll it out with the same crew minus Payton.

Keep in mind, that WITH Payton, we have struggled in the playoffs and couldn't get it done.

I think Payton is a great coach but there's no doubt we've underachieved. Sean McVay has been to as many SBs and NFCCGs as Payton did in like 1/4 the time.

It's time to start over.
Mostly agree.

For all Payton did, which was phenomenal, given the history prior and the culture change he brought...he has a couple things that kept him from full potential: the playoff performances and the defensive futility of the first 2/3 of his tenure.

I
Mostly agree.

For all Payton did, which was phenomenal, given the history prior and the culture change he brought...he has a couple things that kept him from full potential: the playoff performances and the defensive futility of the first 2/3 of his tenure.
I agree completely.

The easy thing to do is to promote Allen and keep everyone else. Slide Richard or Nielsen into the DC role and trust Carmichael to call plays.

But Payton is much more than a play caller. He brought the intangibles: confidence and swag to the team.

That is not easy to replicate. Maybe DA calls ambush in the SB. But do the players believe it's going to work like they did with Payton?

Loomis is in a really unenviable position. Bring in a new coach, who will likely want to bring in his own guys and force you to get rid of some very good coaches, or roll it out with the same crew minus Payton.

Keep in mind, that WITH Payton, we have struggled in the playoffs and couldn't get it done.

I think Payton is a great coach but there's no doubt we've underachieved. Sean McVay has been to as many SBs and NFCCGs as Payton did in like 1/4 the time.

It's time to start over.
of course it's a disastrous decision that will have long lasting ramifications

we better get this right

Has any coach in the history of the NFL taken off a year voluntarily and come back to the same team? That's not happening.

What happens if DA goes 14-2. Sorry Dennis, Payton's back.
Not an NFL coach that I can think of but Phil Jackson did it in the NBA and came back to win two more championships.

He even wrote a tell all book criticizing Kobe when he was off. But. That’s Phil Jackson. You can do that sort of thing when you have 9 rings (at the time).

I agree. I don’t want DA as our head coach. He’s unproven at that position. He’s done a decent job on defense but not sure why a lot of people think he’ll make a good HC. It’s two different things. I want Jim Harbaugh.

I vote for continuity. Hard to blame the coaching staff for the Minny crap or the No Call. DA might just be a better HC this time around.

It's time to start over.
Yes I will agree that we have underachieved under Payton recently except for this season.

of course it's a disastrous decision that will have long lasting ramifications

we better get this right
Not sure about that, I think not showing up at the playoffs maybe signaled time for a change. With that being said I will miss Payton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom