UFC 106 Ortiz vs Griffin II Saturday Night (1 Viewer)

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The UFC returns after a sort of ho-hum card that not many people cared about. The Main event is a rematch between two former Light-Heavyweight champions in Forrest Griffin and the returning Tito Ortiz. Their last fight ended with a dec win for Ortiz. How will things pan out in this fight? As ususal, here are my predictions. And don't forget, the prelims will be airing on Spike TV prior to the Main Card, which I will sadly be missing due to an Engagement party :(

Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos
Two pretty good fighters match up in this fight. I still think Dent is a little small for this weight class and he could actually drop down. I like Sotiropoulos in this fight. I think it goes to a dec.

Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno
I like Uno

Brian Foster vs. Brock Larson
Larson.

Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt
This fight is supposed to be airing on Spike. I like this fight. Rosholt is a very good wrestler coming off of a nice win over Chris Leben. Grove uses his height and reach pretty well. I think he will try to use that advantage to keep Rosholt away from the takedown. On the ground, Rosholt was able to submit Leben with an Arm-Triangle choke so he does have some submission skills. Grove is very good on the ground and he is always dangerous off his back. I think this fight will be deceided by Rosholt. In his losses, Grove was overpowered and bullied by Cote and Rivera. If Rosholt can smother him and bully him, it will be a bad night for Grove. And since I want to keep my streak of not picking Grove intact, I think Rosholt will be able to execute very well. I think he wins a dec.

Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders
Another interesting fight. Davis is a tough fighter with very good boxing and his ground skills are pretty good now. Saunders will have the height and reach advantage as he is a taller fighter. Saunders is coming off a loss to Mike Swick and I wonder how he will bounce back. Davis is tough and dangerous. I wonder if Saunders will try to clinch and work some Muay Thai. To do that, he has to come in on Davis and that could pose a problem as Davis has good power in his hands. I think Davis bounces back from his loss to Dan Hardy as he earns a Dec win.

Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann
I like Thiago in this fight.

Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
This could be a very good fight. Cane is a very good striker and here he takes on a very very well rounded fighter in Lil Nog. Cane is good in close quarters and he is coming off a nice win over Steve Cantwell. His opponent is a little better in this fight. Nog is good on the ground and has very strong boxing skills. I think he will be able to match Can on the feet and in case the fight gets dicey, he has the ability to get it down and work his jj skills. I think this fight plays out all over the place. I think Nog will be able to match him on the feet and when the fight hits the ground he will have the advantage. I look for Lil Nog to enjoy his UFC debut with a dec win over Cane.

Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah
I really don't know about this fight. Baroni is coming back into the UFc and he is matched up against a former TUF winner. Sadollah, after many injuries was taken out very quickly in his last fight, although some think it was a quick stoppage. In this fight, he will have to weather an early storm as Baroni has good power and he is dangerous until he gasses which I can pretty much say with a lot of confidence that he will indeed gas. If Sadollah is smart, he avoids a slugfest with Baroni, and figths a smart fight using his Muay Thai. I think Baroni will present a tough round but after that I expect Sadollah to be too much for him as he puts Baroni to sleep with a rnc in the 3rd rd.

Anthony Johnson vs. Josh Koscheck
Very excited about this fight. As we all know Koscheck is a ver very good wrestler that has fallen in love with the stand-up. He has seemed to forget that he is probably one of the best wrestler in the UFC as he has had some very good knock-outs. Here though, that mentality will get him in trouble. Anthony Johnson is a powerful striker and a huge fighter. He cuts a ton of weight and he usually sports a huge weight advantage come fight night.

The smart plan would be for Koscheck to try and shoot and get this fight to the ground. Johnson hasn't shown too much of his ground game because he is hard to take down but if my memory serves me, he was submitted by Rich Clementi which is not a bad thing as Clementi is very dangerous. Koscheck will not be mistaken for Clementi's ground as Clementi has better jj skills.

I think in the end, Johnson might be too much for Kos. Kos seems to love his stand-up so much that he has completely forgotten about his wrestling. That will only get him in trouble as Johnson puts Koscheck to sleep at some point in this fight. Johnson via ko or TKO.

Main Event
Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz
Many facotrs come into play with this fight. Griffin will be looking to bounce back from consecutive losses to try and regain some ground in a very stacked division. While Tito returns at the age of 35 after a slew of injuries and surgeries. Will the layoff affect Ortiz? Does he have enough in the knees to be able to do what he does best and work his ground-n-pound? These questions will be answered in this fight.

In their last fight, Ortiz was able to pound on Griffin really badly in the first round. After that, he struggled badly. Of course Ortiz claimed it was due to injury, but as big as Griffin is it really taxes the cardio to keep him down. After injuries and surgeries will he be able to repeat the success of that first round?

Griffin is coming off a terrible loss to Anderson Silva. He was just completely overmatched in that fight by Silva's amazing striking. Ortiz will never be mistaken for Silva on the feet. I really think this fight plays out like their first match-up. I think Ortiz might find some success early, but Griffin will get back to his feet where I expect him to work his leg-kicks which have become a valuable tool in his game. I think as the 2nd round goes on, he finds success with the kicks and takes Ortiz out of his comfort zone. This becomes a stand-up battle as Griffin's gas tank stays full while he works his way to a Unanimous dec victory over Ortiz.

Well, that's it. Let's hear yours.

I like George in this fight.

Uno

Larson.

Roshalt

Davis

Thiago

Nogueria in a tough decision

I like Sadollah.

Interesting fight. Johnson is coming off a short camp, and Koscheck hasn't been impressive lately. JK has superior skills and provided he doesn't get into a slug fest should win a smart, technical fight. But Johnson will come in with a headhunter attitude and look to knock Koscheck into the stands. I think Koscheck uses his wrestling and experience to control the fight and gets a decision.

Main Event
Tito lost the first fight. He's older, coming of injuries, surgery, and a long layoff. Forrest has gotten better, although he didn't show it in the Silva fight. Forrest by leg kicking Tito for 15 minutes and stuffing takedowns and superior boxing.

I’ve been home with my boy all week while the girls have been in NYC. On one hand I’ve enjoyed the no drama atmosphere, on the other hand, I kinda miss the girls. George via submission.

Did I mention I’ve gotten absolutely nothing constructive done in a week?

Larson looking to bounce back after he was upset in OKC while the crowd was falling asleep.

Kendall Grove +140 vs. Jake Rosholt -170
Surprised to see Jake favored in this one. If this were part of the stats, I might have to go with Grove but since it’s not, screw him. I see Rosholt closing the distance, taking him down and giving him a gash across the forehead. Grove may get a good triangle attempt but since I’m taking Jake, he has to fail. Rosholt via doctor’s stoppage.

Marcus Davis -220 s vs. Ben Saunders +180
Do you think Marcus enters the cage still mad at The Outlaw Hardy :shrug: Davis via dec.

So they moved this to the main card since Karo was kicked off the card? I think the two above would make for better additions but since they are the Spike features, I see why they bumped this one. Thiago via sub.

Luiz Cane +110 vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira -140
I keep seeing Soko’s KO of lil Nog and thinking Cane has that kind of explosive striking. On the other hand, I agree with Peet and think Nog gets it to the ground but I think he finishes him there. Cane’s cardio has been suspect in the past. Nog via sub.

Phil Baroni +180 vs. Amir Sadollah -220
A seasoned vet like Baroni an underdog to a guy with two pro fights. Ouch. Sadollah via armbar (since that’s the only move I’ve even seen him pull off)

Anthony Johnson -125 vs. Josh Koscheck -105
Winner has to be in line behind Hardy for a shot at GSP right? Kos has to understand what this fight means to his career. Johnson is coming off another impressive win but he struggled to make weight. He took this fight on shortish notice. I realize I made up a word there. Kos via old school blanket decision.

Main Event
Forrest Griffin -140 vs. Tito Ortiz +110
TITO! TITO! TITO! If you believe any of the reasons (ei. Excuses) Tito has given over the past few years about limited training and takedown ability being directly related to an ailing back, then Tito should double leg Forrest all fight long and GnP him into a bloody Ken Shamrock-like pulp.

I believe!

Sorry, decimated with garbage at work here. No time to make (1 or 2) funny and (18 to 19) not-funny comments along with the picks.

Main Event

the main event looks to be a snooze fest. but ive been surprized by both guys before.

the only reason im getting this card is for the rumble- kos fight im so done with the refs decisions and im sure this one will not go to the cards.

hopefully we will have a good card to remember this saturday but this one seems to lack the star power at the top to me.

Sadly this is another card I'm just not that interested in.

George S.
Uno
Larson
Grove
Saunders
Lil Nog
Amir
Kos
Tito

I know I should be more excited, but I guess with the HW title being moved off, I'm just not.

They must be scraping to get Tito to come out. He was always a boring fighter. His only intresting matches were vs the Shamrocks and that is because there was some hate there.
Nah, I could watch Chuck KO him all day.

I really don't want to spend any more money after watching Forrest's last fight, so I think i'll try to find this one online somewhere. I'm checking justin.tv , if you guys find a solid link as well, let me know?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom