Ultimate Onion Soup (1 Viewer)

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic/ghost
Reaction score
What makes it ultimate is....smoked pork loin. The first time I tried a meat and onion soup I used steak meat. Now I'm going to try smoked pork. The meat one was the best one I ever made.

I dont think you need the meat although its definitely not going to hurt anything.
What makes it for me is really taking your time browning the onions, and then adding some demi to really flesh it out. Homemade beef stock is a must, if using store bought broth/stock use chicken over beef as purchased beef broth is univerally crap

I dont think you need the meat although its definitely not going to hurt anything.
What makes it for me is really taking your time browning the onions, and then adding some demi to really flesh it out. Homemade beef stock is a must, if using store bought broth/stock use chicken over beef as purchased beef broth is univerally crap

I've added steak to it before and it was excellent so this time I'm adding the pork. And I don't have the time or the money to make my own stock.

Last edited:
Can you share the recipe?

You need to julienne 4 cups of yellow onions. Take 2 tablespoons of butter and some bacon fat and melt in a large saucepan over medium-heat. Add the onions. Season with salt and black pepper. Saute the onions until slightly caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Add a tablespoon or two of garlic, dash of sherry, dash of worcestershire and 8 cups of beef stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Ladle the soup into ovenproof deep bowls. Top with toast, shredded cheese and a pinch of parsley. Put into oven for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden. The recipe is by Emeril and technically you're supposed to make a duck rillette and spread it on the toast but I looked up how to make that and I think I'll just skip it. Way too much work for a meat spread on toast but I bet it's fantastic.

Also the bacon fat is my idea, if you don't use it then use 3 tablespoons of butter. And I do a couple of dashes of worcestershire.

Homemade beef stock is a must, if using store bought broth/stock use chicken over beef as purchased beef broth is univerally crap
What about Better Than Boullion?

I've now seen two recipes that calls for using thyme, I wonder if I should try it? Edit: and bay leaf.

Last edited:

Usually those cans just overwhelm everything with the sodium taste. Aweful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom