usama young vs. the draft (1 Viewer)

Not to whine about the past, but I really think we made a huge error in letting go of David Jones.

With that said, I think if given the starter's role Young would flourish. I think we need another CB, but if we signed either Truf. or Samuals, Young would be a great second corner with David at nickel.

We didn't let him go. We were trying to get him to the practice squad and because we scrimmaged with the Bengals; Marvin Lewis saw something he liked and he picked up Jones.

It was a mistake by our staff thinking that we could hide him on the practice squad.

:dunno:

For as terrible as Jason David was for most of last season, he did show improvement later in the season... He also showed that he can make some plays. MM will be back, and according to Mike D. he is progressing well. Usama Young is a future starter for us... as soon as next season... and Jason Craft is still serviceable. I don't think we're going to sign a name FA CB, and I don't think we should. I also don't think we should go CB in the 1st round.

Fixing the pass-rush and 2 of the 3 LB positions will make the CBs we have look a lot better... trust me. However, if Josh Bullocks is still at FS, we'll still give up some big plays.

Jason David had an embarrassing first year as a Saint, but he did do what they hoped he would do and that's make plays, he had 3 picks and returned a fumble for a TD, so he did bring some of that over with him from the Colts, he has to get better, cause we invested in him and he will get better, Usama Young will also get better, he is a man vs man CB, that was his MO coming outta college and why the Saints drafted him...that and that 4.3 he displayed at his pro day.

We get a bit confused and cautious about the unknown, but I think Usama was a good choice and David will continue to show he is a solid addition, but CB needs to be addressed cause everybody else will probably be cut (Craft and McKenzie not included...well maybe Craft) so its a position like LB and DT that the FO knows it needs to look into.....I just hope we dont bring in more bankups who arent good enough to start and try and bring in some starters who would make our starters great backups!

if we sign no big name guys, draft Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie..dont let him get away from us..

I wonder how Usama would stack up against the talent pool if he were to be in this year's draft class. Would he be a high-round guy?

probably about the same as we drafted him at.

I thought this was interesting: http://ari.scout.com/a.z?s=126&p=8&c=1&nid=2704618

piece of work:

A nice-sized cornerback with solid ball skills. Displays solid footwork in reverse, loses nothing transitioning to run with opponents and covers a good amount of area on the field. Quickly reads receivers’ eyes, then gets his head back around to locate the ball. Nicely positions himself against defenders and gets vertical to knock away the pass. Tough and willing to get involved in the action.

Neg:

Not strong and struggles bringing ball handlers down on initial contact. Very quick out of his backpedal and prefers to side-shuffle. Better facing the quarterback and struggles with his back to the ball.

Not to whine about the past, but I really think we made a huge error in letting go of David Jones.
Agreed.

I saw a lot of potential from Jones during preseason, more than any other of our draft picks, and training camp reports all seemed positive. He had value on defense, special teams, and if we really needed, offense. He was superfast, and IIRC made a few nice tackles and a pick.

The Bengals have him covering kickoffs. I think we should have our radar on him to see if he makes their roster. I'd sure welcome him back. Usama and Jones together again would be nice.

We could keep them underwraps for a while, doing extra practice and everything, then unleash them on an unsuspecting league the next time anyone s******s about our CB troubles. I'd love to get 3 or 4 starters from our, so far, failure of a 2007 draft, from places like Towson St., Kent St. or Wingate. It would be a pretty nice compliment to Sean Payton to have players like Jahri Evans from Bloomsburg, or Bushrod, Jones, and Young, earning roster spots

We didn't let him go. We were trying to get him to the practice squad and because we scrimmaged with the Bengals; Marvin Lewis saw something he liked and he picked up Jones.

It was a mistake by our staff thinking that we could hide him on the practice squad.

:dunno:

This was a classic mistake. I almost died when I heard that. And you kept craft and thomas and a host of others who did not contribute to the team instead. Maybe thats why we have a new coach in the secondary. he may have had a lot to do with those moves. and maybe he couldnt coach young and couldnt see kaesvahorn is a better athlete better at ss and fs than bullocks or that ancient guy they keep bringing back

Well believe it or not Usama Young finished the season with 25 tackles. Not bad for a third round pick. Toward the middle of the season Young really started to come on. His coverage was looking good, he was gaining confidence, and he was looking like he was ready for a bigger role. Then he got hurt against the Niners (shoulder or Hamstring I can't remember). After that.....he never quite played up to the same level as before his injury. He was tenative and giving up a huge cushion. The confidence he had seemed to be gone. CBs have to have a certain "swagger". But I liked what I saw mid season......can he regain it? Well....we will see come training camp.....there won't be gus like Fred Thomas and possibly Jason Craft ahead of him....

Well believe it or not Usama Young finished the season with 25 tackles. Not bad for a third round pick. Toward the middle of the season Young really started to come on. His coverage was looking good, he was gaining confidence, and he was looking like he was ready for a bigger role. Then he got hurt against the Niners (shoulder or Hamstring I can't remember). After that.....he never quite played up to the same level as before his injury. He was tenative and giving up a huge cushion. The confidence he had seemed to be gone. CBs have to have a certain "swagger". But I liked what I saw mid season......can he regain it? Well....we will see come training camp.....there won't be gus like Fred Thomas and possibly Jason Craft ahead of him....

wasnt' it his shoulder when causing a fumble on Special teams.. think PT got the ball on the recovery.

He hurt his shoulder in the interception he dropped against the Hawks, he recovered and made a great playt on the ball, came down with it and lost it when he hit the turf, sat up and grabbed his arm...

I wonder how Usama would stack up against the talent pool if he were to be in this year's draft class. Would he be a high-round guy?

i dont think hed stack up very well with this class....id take him over chevis jackson and i have him rated as a day two guy. last year we should have taken marcus mccalley who slipped went into the forth round and still got usama young in a later round. we keep going after small school reaches with our day two picks some of which would probably be udfa's they spent a third round pick on usama and they could have easily gotten him in the 5th or 6th round. i like him but i think its gonna take some time before he can be an real starter in this league. nice ability but still way too raw. cornerback is not a position that you can fine shutdown talent late in the draft, you might get lucky but 90% of the good cornerbacks in the nfl were drafted in round one.

i cornerback is not a position that you can fine shutdown talent late in the draft, you might get lucky but 90% of the good cornerbacks in the nfl were drafted in round one.

Asante Samuel 4th round
Al Harris 6th round
Rhonde Barber 3rd round
mike mcKenzie 3rd round

There are some good cbs that were not early picks.

Asante Samuel 4th round
Al Harris 6th round
Rhonde Barber 3rd round
mike mcKenzie 3rd round

There are some good cbs that were not early picks.

ok youve mention 4 guys and none of them are considered shutdown corners. al harris is close but asante samuel, and ronde barber are not man to man guys. and mike is the best corner on our team but i wouldnt leave him one on one with any of the top 20 wrs in the league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom