USMNT - ‘23 and beyond (1 Viewer)

They keep talking about Reyna playing a different role tonight, and he has been deeper and more defensive than usual. I wonder if GGG said he could start but it couldn’t be all offensive focus, that he had to play both ways.

How about the move over the defender by Pulisic?

It was lost in the action, but it was such a beautiful touch to lift, on pace so he didn't have to lose a step.

Sigh.

At what point do the Mexican fans just cut it out? Seriously. Their team trying to find a way back into game and then this.

I guess they will figure it out at some point.

that was one of the saddest Mexican teams I've seen. I'd have been yelling too if I were one of the fans (but not what they were yelling).

Great game plan, great execution.

Mexico...they don't look comfortable in this new shape and don't possess the ball enough to work into offense. It seems they clog the middle 3rd and look for quick turnover into transition. Outside that, they don't look to have much offensive prowess.

But make no mistake, this was the US team we wanted to see vs Jamaica. Maybe it was some human nature in facing a depleted Jamaica, but this showing gives me hopes that that's all it was.

So seems like maybe it’ll be Reyna and Musah swapping out. Musah has some dribbling skills and is a willing defender but doesn’t have the offensive skill that Reyna brings (and that we need). Gio just has/had to prove he could put in the defensive work.

Best performance of the GGG2 era. Cant complain too much but why was Gio playing almost a 6? Seems like a bit of a waste to not have him central in the attack closer to goal. He put in work though on both sides.

We’re on to Copa.

Don't have much to add.. I agree that the team looked much better. It really felt like they controlled everything and never got too uncomfortable.

I still would like to see more creativity in the final 3rd but overall this was a much more enjoyable watch than the past few games.

This is about 100 ft (~33 yards) out. Holy!

oh the best part is the slo mo from behind where he just stands there, watching because he knew he caught all of it.

Only thing better would have been had he had a bat, and flipped it. ;)

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Reyna is our most dangerous attacking player.....finally Berhalter gets a clue.....He should start every game and play 60-70 minutes.....

he, like Tyler, has a gift of being able to see the field move without having to look up. He knows if he is in a certain spot, ( or moving into a certain spot ) how defenders are likely going to react so he is constantly moving into positions to distribute the ball when least expected.

Tyler has that, but from a defensive mind.

There was a play off a US corner that was singled out by Marsh. Mexico cleared and were moving quick into transition. Tylers guy headed to another who was looking to immediately return the ball to Tylers guy to initiate the break. As his guy headed, Tyler simply walked underneath him ( was never going to beat him in a leap ) , which took that player out the equation and put Tyler inbetween that player and the return ball. Making it impossible for him to get free run to break.

Its those types of players ( and plays ) that mean a whole lot in the course of 90 min. And you cant teach that. Its just innate- its what you know to do in that situation.

Reyna makes moves to make defenders move to where he wants them so he can make the pass/distribute - its also incumbent on the communication of others around him to know this and move to spot they know he wants them to go to.

And when it happens, its the beautiful game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom