Vertigo remake (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A remake of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1958 thriller Vertigo is in the works with Robert Downey Jr “eyeing” the lead role.

According to Deadline, Paramount Pictures has given the film the go-ahead with the Iron Man star producing and potentially taking on the role of the obsessive detective made famous by James Stewart.

The script will come from Steven Knight, known for creating the hit BBC series Peaky Blinders. His film credits also include Spencer, Locke and Eastern Promises.

The news comes just a day after Variety reported that Knight has been hired to write a new Star Wars movie after writers Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson left the project……..

You need chutzpah to be successful in Hollywood; you’ve got to have brash moves and audacious ideas, sometimes ones belonging to other people.

Robert Downey Jr’s plan to remake Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo – one of the greatest films of all time – is aiming very very high, like planning to tightrope-walk between the two towers of San Francisco’s Golden Gate bridge. Don’t look down.

Downey Jr reportedly intends to produce and star himself in the role that James Stewart made iconic: ex-cop Scottie, traumatised by his fear of heights and a recent psychological breakdown, who falls in love from afar with the beautiful, mysterious woman, played by Kim Novak, who he’s been asked to trail by her husband. And then, after a traumatic episode, he becomes obsessed with another woman who eerily appears to be her exact double.

The screenplay will reportedly be written by Steven Knight, currently receiving mixed notices for his new BBC adaptation of Dickens’s Great Expectations, a looser version taking such revisionist liberties with the original that it could itself be considered a kind of remake.

But who is going to play the Kim Novak role? And – perhaps even trickier – who will play Scottie’s ex-girlfriend Midge (originally played by Barbara Bel Geddes) whose glasses are an integral part of understanding Vertigo’s role in the critical discourse around the male – and female – gaze? It’s a scene-stealer of a role……

You need chutzpah to be successful in Hollywood; you’ve got to have brash moves and audacious ideas, sometimes ones belonging to other people.

Robert Downey Jr’s plan to remake Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo – one of the greatest films of all time – is aiming very very high, like planning to tightrope-walk between the two towers of San Francisco’s Golden Gate bridge. Don’t look down.

Downey Jr reportedly intends to produce and star himself in the role that James Stewart made iconic: ex-cop Scottie, traumatised by his fear of heights and a recent psychological breakdown, who falls in love from afar with the beautiful, mysterious woman, played by Kim Novak, who he’s been asked to trail by her husband. And then, after a traumatic episode, he becomes obsessed with another woman who eerily appears to be her exact double.

The screenplay will reportedly be written by Steven Knight, currently receiving mixed notices for his new BBC adaptation of Dickens’s Great Expectations, a looser version taking such revisionist liberties with the original that it could itself be considered a kind of remake.

But who is going to play the Kim Novak role? And – perhaps even trickier – who will play Scottie’s ex-girlfriend Midge (originally played by Barbara Bel Geddes) whose glasses are an integral part of understanding Vertigo’s role in the critical discourse around the male – and female – gaze? It’s a scene-stealer of a role……

All of this is making me dizzy....

All of this is making me dizzy....
All of this is making me angry. Alfred Hitchcock was a real sick puppy, I think. Granted, Judy's in on it but Scottie is also a controlling sociopath at worst and at best a really jerky boyfriend and bad friend to Midge. By the end of the movie, I really, really hate James Stewart.

I didn't like the shot-for-shot remake of Psycho, but I'd really love a remake of this. (Meaning Vertigo)

Last edited:
I really need to watch it again, it's one of the few Hitchcocks I don't remember verbatim. Especially if can render hatred for Jimmy.
Hating Stewart is like hating Santa Claus.
lol, I know. I just watched it and really paid attention so that I was sure I understood (I honestly had forgotten the husband of Madeleine).

Anyway, one of the things that really griped me was when he was trying to make Judy over into Madeleine. He kept saying "It can't possibly make a difference to you, Judy." Yeah, nothing a woman hates more than deciding for herself what clothes to wear or how to do her makeup. Controlling much?

lol, I know. I just watched it and really paid attention so that I was sure I understood (I honestly had forgotten the husband of Madeleine).

Anyway, one of the things that really griped me was when he was trying to make Judy over into Madeleine. He kept saying "It can't possibly make a difference to you, Judy." Yeah, nothing a woman hates more than deciding for herself what clothes to wear or how to do her makeup. Controlling much?
Ooh, now I really have to see it, the bastage

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom