Was the Payton Vilma talk just a smokescreen? (1 Viewer)

Someone correct if I'm wrong, but i thought Vilma can't restructure because its his last year under contract?

I don't think it's about restructuring the deal as much as it is about just taking a pay cut. Vilma knows if we cut him, his worth on the open market isn't much. Unfortunately I think the Bounty label will make him an unpopular pick up for other teams.

All this talk is "can Vilma play in a 4-3."
Well if you are talking as a 3 down LB the answer is no.
As a situational player the answer is yes. I think that is the what coach means by playing to strengths.

I agree. Dont get me wrong, I still think Vilma can help us because he does bring a lot of knowlege, fb iq, leadership to the table, and he can still make plays.

I dont think SP was talking him up for a trade, I think SP genuinly wants to find a way for Vilma to fit in, and I think they will. I just dont think he will be very successful at it. Just like we will scheme to hide his weakness, teams will scheme to exploit it.

I don't know if Vilma will actually be here this season. Remember, Vilma complained that he couldn't play up to his potential when the Jets went to a 3-4D. That is actually what led him to be traded to the Saints, since they played a 4-3, which was much more to Vilma's liking and, supposedly, played to his strengths much better.

He was one of the key players in the 2009 season and one reason saints won the sb. He earns gratitude and respect, is a great leader and has still the ability to improve the defense. I think, some of us forget too quickly what he has done all the years he was playing.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

You can't talk bad about Vilma and get an thumbs up around here.

What's sad and holding us back is we seem to be more likely to get rid of people from the organization for personality clashes than actual performance.
Whether its front office people, scouts, or players....

Gary Gibbs entrenched for 4 years, Joe Vitt has our LB coach when we've had the worst batch in the nfl, our defensive scouts who have produced nothigng but disappointments and outright busts in 7 years, players past their prime.

That needs to change and we need to adopt a change is the only constant mentality.

If I'd said a month ago that Gregg Williams would be reinstated and working for the Titans with a goatee beard and a David Bowie haircut you'd have said I've lost my mind!

:rasta:
True but didn't Gregg Williams claim that Vilma put out a bounty on several players all for the sake of getting reinstated. Vilma would never be on the same team as Williams just based on this fact.

He was one of the key players in the 2009 season and one reason saints won the sb. He earns gratitude and respect, is a great leader and has still the ability to improve the defense. I think, some of us forget too quickly what he has done all the years he was playing.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

This is how great teams become average. Retaining old has beens and trying to relive the past.

I think Payton wants Vilma on the team because there is not a player on defense right now that provides the leadership Vilma has. Vilma is clearly on the last leg of his career, however right now I think its an issue of figuring out how they replace his on-field football IQ and leadership than his ability to shed blocks and tackle.

I really don't think Payton knows anything about running a 3-4, that's why Rob Ryan needs to have a lot of input

With all due respect I think you're wrong about that...............Payton has made a living for a very long time in scheming how to beat every defense known to mankind and he's been very very successful at it......especially the last 6 years.

You can bet that he knows how a 3-4 defense can stop his offense..............he just figures a way for it not to happen.:mwink:

True but didn't Gregg Williams claim that Vilma put out a bounty on several players all for the sake of getting reinstated. Vilma would never be on the same team as Williams just based on this fact.

Gregg Williams absolutely and completely threw JV under the bus to be reinstated. Had Vilma not filed that law suit and Goodell not desperately needed a second witness (other than total sleaze Cerullo) to swear Vilma offered the Favre bounty, then 3G is banned for long, long time, or life. Everyone-- owners, media, players, coaches -- knows this, although a tiny few will admit it. I think He will fail at Tenn. Because the players can't tolerate what he did. Vilma will play for us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom