We Aren't Blowing It Up, So What Now? (45 Viewers)

I think I agree. Yeah, we need a NT and must go get one. We also need an edge rusher.

But there's no excuse to be this bad against the run. It has to be mostly scheme.

I actually don't think it's scheme. We're pretty much running the same scheme as we did in 2017-2020 when we were one of the most dominant run defenses in the league, and we almost broke an NFL record for consecutive games holding a rusher under 100 yards. Onyemata was a stonewall in the middle and was a key reason for that, he was so disruptive in the run game. I think losing him definitely hurt.

I think right row we're definitely missing a force in the middle, and we're not as strong at LB as we once were. Demario's age is starting to show, and I don't think our safeties are very good disrupting the run game, Mathieu included.

Offense could be fine for a few years, if we can add depth at o-line and WR.

The defense on the other hand is going to be getting worse. We have too many players at the end of their career and not enough money to replace them.

Aside from Cam, Demario, and Tyrann…who? Only one of the three aren’t a viable player anymore, so I don’t get this sentiment that keeps getting repeated. We aren’t the only team in the league with a small handful of 30 somethings in the lineup.

Is it because Demario is the face of the defense that this sentiment exists, mentally?

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe us having one of the worst run defenses in history is just about getting a nose tackle.

It has to be a combination of the scheme and the entirety of the front seven. That's a lot to fix in one offseason.

It's the entire front 7 really.

I find it hard to believe us having one of the worst run defenses in history is just about getting a nose tackle.

It has to be a combination of the scheme and the entirety of the front seven. That's a lot to fix in one offseason.

I think the scheme has done a good job of stopping the run in the past so IMO, it's the personnel on the DL. But, I do think it will take more than one NT to fix.

It's not surprising that our front 7 isn't good. I feel like every year I'm saying we need to draft a DE and a DT. I'm saying it again for 2025. This is our front 7 investment the past 7 years.

5th Jaylan Ford LB - TBD
6th Kristian Boyd DT - TBD

1st Bryan Bresee DT - Solid
2nd Isaiah Foskey DE - Bust

6th Jordan Jackson DT - Bust

1st Peyton Turner DE - Bust
2nd Pete Werner LB - Solid

3rd Zach Baun LB - Gone

7th Kaden Ellis LB - Gone

1st Marcus Davenport DE - Gone

Last edited:
It's not surprising that our front 7 isn't good. I feel like every year I'm saying we need to draft a DE and a DT. I'm saying it again for 2025. This is our front 7 investment the past 7 years.

5th Jaylan Ford LB - TBD

LB Zach Baun - Gone

1st Marcus Davenport DE - Bust
🤣🤣🤣🤣You forgot Foskey

I actually don't think it's scheme. We're pretty much running the same scheme as we did in 2017-2020 when we were one of the most dominant run defenses in the league, and we almost broke an NFL record for consecutive games holding a rusher under 100 yards. Onyemata was a stonewall in the middle and was a key reason for that, he was so disruptive in the run game. I think losing him definitely hurt.

I think right row we're definitely missing a force in the middle, and we're not as strong at LB as we once were. Demario's age is starting to show, and I don't think our safeties are very good disrupting the run game, Mathieu included.
PFF has two former Saints DT's ranked in the top 12 as interior run defenders in 2024--Onyemata and Roach. Losing Roach to free agency is more painful since he signed a small deal (2 years / $7m), and he appeared to be taking the next step before his injury last year.

5th Jaylan Ford LB - TBD

none

none

Don’t forget about Granderson, and we have also signed free agents.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment entirely but I do think we have thrown adequate resources at it; we just aren’t seeing the results.

PFF has two former Saints DT's ranked in the top 12 as interior run defenders in 2024--Onyemata and Roach. Losing Roach to free agency is more painful since he signed a small deal (2 years / $7m), and he appeared to be taking the next step before his injury last year.

Agreed…losing Roach was a lowkey huge loss. He was a more than capable big body we sorely lack currently.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment entirely but I do think we have thrown adequate resources at it; we just aren’t seeing the results.

Well I think you would agree the Eagles beat us with their front 7 so let's compare it to them. In the past three drafts we've spent a 1st, 2nd, 5th, 5th, 6th, 6th on our front 7. In the same time they've spent 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th

Last edited:
As a fan do what we have done for decades just roll with it and have hope we win every week. As far as the team goes, we need to invest in the o line and d line and depth on those lines. You are going to need another corner for depth or move Taylor outside and draft a nickel/slot but that depends on Adebo and his rehab if he can even play again. Find another young LB in the draft.

Offense another WR and tight end. More o line depth because it is proven when Carr has time, he can be effective as most Qb's can be with a great o line.

Sign DeVante Adams, draft Ashton Jeanty, find a big NT, get healthy, prosper.
I thought Adams re-signed a contract with the jets or was that just a restructure? I do love Jeanty, but the first team to jump on him is gonna be Dallas, especially after what they are seeing from Derrick Henry is doing for Baltimore.

To answer this question all depends for me on where they draft. If it's a high draft pick take the best D-line available. Though if Cam Ward is there, you have to think about it. Free Agency wise, I'd ask what Tee Higgins wants, and health pending, see what Chris Godwin is looking for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom