Well, there's this..... (1 Viewer)

Vermont Saint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
.....from ESPN:

Unluckiest and Most Underrated Team in Week 13: New Orleans Saints - Stats & Info- ESPN

I'm putting this up despite my utter and complete detestation for the network, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Like everyone else on the internet, I'm posting it because it echoes the same notes I've been harping on since the Raiders game (and throughout the 0-3 start): The Saints are not a bad team, in fact, they look like a pretty good team. And, thus far, a pretty unlucky team. I know that it all counts, and 5-6 is 5-6, but the team has been extremely competitive in every game but one.
Consider a few of the most damaging spins of Fortuna's wheel:

Has any team been as decimated by injury at a single position group as the Saints were at CB this season?

Has any team seen the results of three blocked kicks bounce so effortlessly into the hands of the opposing team who then possess a largely unfettered path to the end zone?

Who knows, we may lay down the rest of the season, but thus far, I really do see why Payton remains so calm, and has repeatedly stated that he likes the makeup of this team- they seem to have some valuable intangibles.

Last edited:
I agree that we are a better team than our record shows. I disagree with the luck part. You make your luck by scouting well, GM'ing well, physical training well ( to prevent certain types of injury), coaching up players, creating depth and competition on rosters, firing coaches who need to be replaced, telling kickers to work on trajectory or they will be replaced, etc. ..THEN after all that the ball may not always bounce your way, but you 'll probably be 7-4 instead of 5-6 .

I like the direction we're heading in, but if everyone was as focused on their job as Brees has been, we'd have a winning record and wouldn't be discussing bad luck.

I agree that we are a better team than our record shows. I disagree with the luck part. You make your luck by scouting well, GM'ing well, physical training well ( to prevent certain types of injury), coaching up players, creating depth and completion on rosters, firing coaches who need to be replaced, telling kickers to work on trajectory or they will be replaced, etc. ..THEN after all that the ball may not always bounce your way, but you 'll probably be 7-4 instead of 5-6 .

I like the direction we're heading in, but if everyone was as focused on their job as Brees has been, we'd have a winning record and wouldn't be discussing bad luck.

Can't really argue with that. Well said.

Special teams. What an unlucky year.

But we're not out of it yet. Rest of the schedule is easy. Just gotta win out - and it's doable over the remaining five games.

But we're not out of it yet. Rest of the schedule is easy. Just gotta win out - and it's doable over the remaining five games.

What's easy about it? It features two division leaders, a team with a winning record coming off of wins against KC in KC and Seattle, and a lagging Cardinals team in Arizona.

The only comfortable game in the 5 is AZ, and they are still dangerous as 3 of their 4 wins were at home.

.....from ESPN:

Unluckiest and Most Underrated Team in Week 13: New Orleans Saints - Stats & Info- ESPN

I'm putting this up despite my utter and complete detestation for the network, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Like everyone else on the internet, I'm posting it because it echoes the same notes I've been harping on since the Raiders game (and throughout the 0-3 start): The Saints are not a bad team, in fact, they look like a pretty good team. And, thus far, a pretty unlucky team. I know that it all counts, and 5-6 is 5-6, but the team has been extremely competitive in every game but one.
Consider a few of the most damaging spins of Fortuna's wheel:

Has any team been as decimated by injury at a single position group as the Saints were at CB this season?

Has any team seen the results of three blocked kicks bounce so effortlessly into the hands of the opposing team who then possess a largely unfettered path to the end zone?

Who knows, we may lay down the rest of the season, but thus far, I really do see why Payton remains so calm, and has repeatedly stated that he likes the makeup of this team- they seem to have some valuable intangibles.
Statistics tells us that when an event happens 3 times, it is no longer coincidence, but a trend. The Saints blocked kicks have nothing to do with luck, but rather with poor special teams play/coaching.

Injuries are due to a cost-cutting move by the team several years ago that replaced the Saints former team physician with a new low-cost practice.

I agree that we are a better team than our record shows. I disagree with the luck part. You make your luck by scouting well, GM'ing well, physical training well ( to prevent certain types of injury), coaching up players, creating depth and competition on rosters, firing coaches who need to be replaced, telling kickers to work on trajectory or they will be replaced, etc. ..THEN after all that the ball may not always bounce your way, but you 'll probably be 7-4 instead of 5-6 .

As luck played a sugnificant role in our super bowl year, bad luck plays a role now
Ok mmaaabbyyyeee bad coaching accounts for the blocked extra point (no flags) but the ball bouncing right to a dude charging down a field and no camera 1000% shows he was out of bounds??

Plus I really don't think there are that many "bad training" injuries in the NFL
Mmmaaaayyybbbbee some muscle pulls are - but connective tissue and broken bones usually fall into the bad luck category

What's easy about it? It features two division leaders, a team with a winning record coming off of wins against KC in KC and Seattle, and a lagging Cardinals team in Arizona.

The only comfortable game in the 5 is AZ, and they are still dangerous as 3 of their 4 wins were at home.

I don't think any game in the NFL is easy.

I do like our chances against Detroit, they are more pretenders than contenders with the extremely soft schedule they've played. Tampa will be two hard fought games and I'll be pleasantly surprised if we sweep. Cardinals are definitely dangerous but if our pass rush continues we should rattle Palmer. If we are at 9-6 and rolling Atlanta stands no chance.

Statistics tells us that when an event happens 3 times, it is no longer coincidence, but a trend. The Saints blocked kicks have nothing to do with luck, but rather with poor special teams play/coaching.

Injuries are due to a cost-cutting move by the team several years ago that replaced the Saints former team physician with a new low-cost practice.
Yeah, this wasn't just bad luck.

This went along with elevating an untested FA rookie kicker straight to the roster as your starting kicker without first fully evaluating him beyond a practice field tryout facing no rush.

no way we can beat the bucs twice...jmo

Boom! Preperation meets opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I don't think any game in the NFL is easy.

I do like our chances against Detroit, they are more pretenders than contenders with the extremely soft schedule they've played. Tampa will be two hard fought games and I'll be pleasantly surprised if we sweep. Cardinals are definitely dangerous but if our pass rush continues we should rattle Palmer. If we are at 9-6 and rolling Atlanta stands no chance.
Palmer won't make mistakes, you can count on that. If our secondary and linebackers miss a coverage assignment, he will smoke us. On the flip side, if we make him uncomfortable in the pocket, he may slip up and either fumble or throw a pick.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Well let's see.

Week #1 - Raiders - 9/2 team, division leader, one of best teams in NFL
Week #2 - Giants - 8/3 team, on the road
Week #3 - Falcons - 7/4 team, division leader
Week #4 - Chargers - 5/6 team, on the road
Week #5 - bye
Week #6 - Panthers - 4/7 team, NFC champions
Week #7 - Chiefs - 8/3 team, on the road
Week #8 - Seahawks - 7/3/1 team, division leader
Week #9 - 49'ers - 1/10 team, on the road
Week #10 - Broncos - 7/4 team, Superbowl champions
Week #11 - Panthers - 4/7 team, NFC champions, on the road, on a short week
Week #12 - Rams - 4/7 team

Remaining games.

Week #13 - Lions - 7/4 team, division leader, at home
Week #14 - Bucs - 6/5 team, on the road
Week #15 - Cardinals - 4/6/1 team, on the road
Week #16 - Bucs - 6/5 team, at home
Week #17 - Falcons - 7/4 team, division leader, on the road

Factor in:

1) The crushing injuries that we had, they were early in the season - Breaux, Rankins, Ellerbe, and Armstead are back.
2) We get the best of the remaining teams (Lions) at home.
3) There are no more short weeks.
4) Our team is hot right now, after blowing out the Rams with 49 points on offense, and a defense that's on fire.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that the harder part of the season is over.

Can't agree about this per se. Statistical significance is not simply the number three. The bad luck part of the kicking game is not the blocks, that's poor play, but where the ball is going after its blocked. No doubt improvement in our special teams would eliminate this, but I, and this author are implicitly referring to what happens, the bounce of the ball, so to speak, after our level of play is accounted for. Blocked kicks are one thing-returning them for points/big yardage is another.

And the injuries = poor medical staff correlation you suggest is extremely unlikely, to say the least. It is a belief held by a small subset of every team's fans, and I'm not sure why, it seems irrational to me. No doctor could have prevented PJ Williams' concussion, nor Breaux's broken fibula, as examples.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom