What do you pay per day in utilities? $30/day here (1 Viewer)

Pure Energy

Rethink Everything
Reaction score
Ouch...just got my utility bill. It's over $1,150 for 40 days or about $29/day. Yeah, it's been cold this month and my house is 3,800 sq. ft. ...but still.

Anyway, I'm thinking about changing out all my appliances:

Water Heater,
Furnaces (2)

And anything else that's sucking power.

I'm getting walloped here.!

Any ideas what else could be the culprit here?

I just got a $650 bill for January, so ~ $21/day. that's insane for heating in south Louisiana.

My gas bill was around $90 for January. What temperature do you have the heater set?

My first January in this house our first December gas/electric bill was over $600.

I changed out the pine doors with fiberglass doors that look like oak and stain like wood.

Then I changed our thermostat to a 7 day programable from the 1950's mess that was on the wall.

Then I replaced all of the single pane windows to double pane, single hung windows with argon gas and low e2 coating.

Also had a guy come to the house to give our boiler a tuneup. He said that replacing the boiler with a more efficient model would knock out almost half of our gas bill.

Now our worst months run about $240.

If/when the step child moves out and takes her mess out of the attic I am going to fill the attic with a bunch of insulation.

Also thinking about the tankless water heaters but am not sold on them yet. I read mixed reviews.

Our January total for gas and electric was $230. The water bill was $130, but that's because the contractor-installed sprinkler system busted in the middle of the night. They didn't put PVC cement on one of the 45 degree elbows and apparently the ground swell from all the rain we got was enough to cause separation.

My gas bill was around $90 for January. What temperature do you have the heater set?

I set them to 65 when I go to bed, then the one in the bedroom areas to 68 when I get up and the one in the living area to 73. I almost never use the upstairs one. Ours is combined gas and electric, but still. All of the stone the wife had installed on the floors in the kitchen and bathrooms are emanating cold (OK, I know that's not physically possible, but they are conducting a ton of heat out of the house, which is up on piers). This is one of the reasons we've sold this beast.

Wow, and i though i had it bad.

3,000 sqf house.

Brand new heat pump and air handler (7grand)

$280 for electric, $90 for water and sewer and garbage.

$370/31days = $11.93 day.

SouthWest Washington.

We keep the thermostats at 63 degrees in the Winter. We dress like freaking Eskimos in my house. I'm going to check my outside electrical outlets and make sure none of my neighbors have an extension cord plugged in.

My friend has one, and really doesn't like it. It takes waaaaay too long to get hot water.

Thanks for the input. That is the kind of stuff that I keep hearing. We usually have to wait a while for the water in my shower anyway because my shower is so far from the water heater and we have to wait for the cold water in the pipes to purge before we get hot water. An even longer wait would waste even more time and water.

Thinking of a small electric water heater that would provide hot water until hot water from the main water heater reached the shower. The problem with that would be that there would be another tank of water being heated all day for no reason.

We keep the thermostats at 63 degrees in the Winter. We dress like freaking Eskimos in my house. I'm going to check my outside electrical outlets and make sure none of my neighbors have an extension cord plugged in.

We set our thermostat at 65 during hours when my wife is home because she has a 9-5 type job. My job is swing shift so I just deal with the cold.

It is 60 in here most of the day and at night.

We keep our thermostat at 71 during the Winter. House size is 2500 sq ft, one-story.

WOW, you should change your name from Pure Energy...to " I pay alot for Pure energy"..

Thanks for the input. That is the kind of stuff that I keep hearing. We usually have to wait a while for the water in my shower anyway because my shower is so far from the water heater and we have to wait for the cold water in the pipes to purge before we get hot water. An even longer wait would waste even more time and water.

Thinking of a small electric water heater that would provide hot water until hot water from the main water heater reached the shower. The problem with that would be that there would be another tank of water being heated all day for no reason.

http://www.instanthotwaterpump.com/product/existing/act2/index.htm

if you factor in gas for the furnance and electricity...about 7 -10 bucks a day...for a 1200 sq ft house and that is in Delaware

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom