What is your favorite part of history to read/learn about? (1 Viewer)

Please tell your grandfather in law thank you for his service for me. I know it was a numbers game w/ the Wildcat and I'm not discounting what those pilots had to do to fight, my comment was more about the quality of the aircraft.

It's cool – your comment was basically right, I was just pointing out that there was more to it than pure performance.all good – but I will certainly tell him.

It's cool – your comment was basically right, I was just pointing out that there was more to it than pure performance.all good – but I will certainly tell him.

Awesome. Same goes for the P-40, great looking plane, didn't pan out real well vs the Zero, but I always loved the Warhawk, it was one of the first models I built as a kid, and I loved the stories of Chennault and the Flying Tigers as well.

While I like all history, my favorite period is American Reconstruction. I see the outcome of the Civil War as basically inevitable based on the resources held by each side. I realize that was not so evident at the time. But, how we would put the country back together was something with no inevitability at all, and is still very much a work in progress 150 years later.

Also, sorry I didn't get pics of the B-17 or be 29 – phone died. Lame.

While I like all history, my favorite period is American Reconstruction. I see the outcome of the Civil War as basically inevitable based on the resources held by each side. I realize that was not so evident at the time. But, how we would put the country back together was something with no inevitability at all, and is still very much a work in progress 150 years later.

reading a good book about Reconstruction in New Orleans right now. Its pretty fascinating. Most people believed that if it was to work, that New Orleans was the place to make it happen since there were many here who had been against Secession in the first place. All eyes were on this case and it included those from the North.

ev2.jpg

I wouldn't say the end result of the Civil War was inevitable. In fact, it teetered on a few battles and events. The Confederates had some supporters across the Atlantic who was more than willing to intervene if they could show they could win some major battles. The Cotton Diplomacy would have also work had England not come out of their cotton shortage when they did. The English needed cotton and willing to bust through the blockade to get it. They were also on the verge of intervening and recognizing the rebels. France was going to follow Britain's lead. Had the cotton shortage been extended, a few more battles won by the Confederacy, the war might have ended differently.

Consider, for example, had Lee's "Lost Orders" hadn't been lost and given to McClellan...

What do you think of the books by Erik Larson, I really enjoyed Isaac's Storm and Devil in the White City?

David McCullough?

Joseph Ellis?

Simon Winchester - Loved Krakatoa

Krakatoa was a very interesting book, full of fascinating anecdotes (and details about the new Krakatoa!). Some of the areas of less-researched history produce the most interesting books.

One of my favorite authors is Charles Mann, author of 1491 and 1493. He regularly writes in National Geographic as well, and is a very educational/historical Twitter follow.

What do you think of the books by Erik Larson, I really enjoyed Isaac's Storm and Devil in the White City?

David McCullough?

Joseph Ellis?

Simon Winchester - Loved Krakatoa

I was not a huge fan of 1776 and wish I had read Washington's Crossing instead but I would be willing to give McCullough another try on John Adams if I get the chance. I have seen reviewers say that 1776 seemed like he mailed it in compared to other works. Its the only one I read but I didn't find that hard to believe.

Go ahead and call me a complete WWII Buff... And I am on my second collection in life...

I have the Nov 1944 printing on the Army Drivers Manual on the way... along with a few items here at the house now... Just to name one of the items I am collecting...

May have to post pics one day of it all. {albeit not as much as it seems.) I am concentrating mostly on WW2 USA Field Gear... Trying to enable a field HQ setting.

I have a Road Map of Normandy. (The Cherbourg Peninsula) Printed by The US Army Jan 1944... and I am thinking of having it laminated. It is the only way that I can make it portable for display.. But once it is laminate that is it. There is never going back on it...

ANd I have this M42 German Helmet that I bought at 15 when I got my first job... Have it all these years. Original, just repainted... Paid $30 for it back in "78.

I will have to do a complete listing but I am still collecting again...

I also have a Confederate Soldiers Tombstone... But. It is Not Haunted and no I did not segragate any graves.. There is an actual story that makes sense as to why I have it and I will have to post the story along with pics one day...

The bid deal with collecting WW2 items is that in todays world we have preppers and zombie appocolypes preppers... This really drives up prices... While some people see a WW2 Mussette bag. Others see a zombie appocolyse bugout bag and try to outbid a true collector , when any damned bag would really do for him.

Captain Rick Jacobs, a frequent speaker at the WWII Museum and retired navy officer, will speak on the Battle of the Coral Sea, the first naval battle in history where the opposing ships never saw each other because the engagement was conducted by carrier-based aircraft. The World War II Discussion Group, headed by local teacher and historian Brian Altobello, meets the first Thursday of every month to discuss the events of the 1930s and 1940s. Free and open to the public; registration is not required. 7pm, Thursday, July 2, Jefferson Room, East Bank Regional Library.

Jefferson Parish Library

I wouldn't say the end result of the Civil War was inevitable. In fact, it teetered on a few battles and events. The Confederates had some supporters across the Atlantic who was more than willing to intervene if they could show they could win some major battles. The Cotton Diplomacy would have also work had England not come out of their cotton shortage when they did. The English needed cotton and willing to bust through the blockade to get it. They were also on the verge of intervening and recognizing the rebels. France was going to follow Britain's lead. Had the cotton shortage been extended, a few more battles won by the Confederacy, the war might have ended differently.

Consider, for example, had Lee's "Lost Orders" hadn't been lost and given to McClellan...
And McClellan still almost screwed it up :hihi:

Lindbergh baby kidnapping, jack the ripper no one mentioned any of the famous unsolved mysteries. d.b.cooper, Amelia erhart. I've read a little about the lindy case and the ripper,the other two not so much. as far as war goes the American revolution amazes me,ragtag groups of rebels don't beat major powers without very strong leadership and quite a commitment to the cause.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom