What is your level of 'coaching' patience? (1 Viewer)

There is no doubt that everyone has lost patience with this current staff who is now trying to coach the Saints out of what appears to be a bottomless pit of incompetence. Now that our team has lost all sense of competitive 'know-how', the cry for reform from the fanbase has never been louder.

I don't know if there has ever been an actual 'rule of thumb' in regard to how much time a new coach (and staff) should be given to get a troubled franchise turned in the right direction. But these days around the league seems to be much different as compared to past decades. Rarely do head coaches at this level get to decide how long they will remain with a team. Yes, fans demand success NOW! Sean's choice to leave the Saints is not usually how coaches go out. This is because fans these days will not tolerate losing for more than a season or two. And once you see the torch, club, and pitchfork toting fanbase marching toward the headquarters, there's very little that can stop the mob action that's about to ensue.

Dennis Allen is done. I'm not convinced that even an NFC South crown will calm the level of ire that folks now feel toward him and his regime. But prepare yourself! This front office will do what they personally feel is the best move for the franchise. And sadly that decision will involve more than just Wins & Losses. Despite the deafening cry that has now gone up, it's likely that we'll be seeing more of Allen & Company in the future. The only question now is: 'How much longer?'

But if you suppose that Allen's days are short and that we could actually be watching him coach his final few games as our head coach, then you also must now prepare yourself for what comes next... The Rebuild. With each & every move to a new coach the changes will always include watching the new man do his own brand of 'redecorating'. He wants HIS people around him. He wants new philosophies & training styles incorporated. He will also want players who can run the schemes that HE believes will turn the team back into a winner. Despite the eagerness to want positive results to happen immediately, successful changes will always require TIME.

So, let's assume that we'll be coronating a new head coach when this season has mercifully come to an end. What is YOUR patience level? How much time do you give the new guy to try and accomplish what DA never could? And what would be the standard you would need to see before pulling out your club & pitchfork from the closet once again? :unsure:
We were sold continuity to remain at the level of competitiveness that Sean Payton was providing. That our coaching staff would carry the torch that he lit and that not much would change. That we were just a couple of players away from really contending as long as we kept the band together. Instead we got what we've been seeing. Confusion, lack of cohesion, no identity and overall disjointed play with cliches and platitudes as explanations.

If we aren't going to be competitive or at the very least entertaining, I'd rather see a rebuild. I know it won't pay immediate dividends, but the rebuild in itself can be entertainment. While I believe 2006 was a fluke even 2007 and 2008, while not great seasons were entertaining. We got to watch the team become a team. That was far more enjoyable than watching this team fail to live up to it's talent week after week or, if DA stays, year after year.

Fire DA and Pete today.
My patience with coaches is very thin. You know a good coach when you see improvement in the team in year 2. You know you have and excellent coach is when you see improvement in his 1st year. Allen IMO is nowhere near a good coach let alone and excellent one.

We dont have a reputation like Carolina with firing coaches. We couldve withstood firing Allen when we were 4-9 last season. Any potential candidate can see Allen for what he is, a perrenial, consistent loser. But Loomis has let this fester so long, that you have a team that has zero confidence in its FO or coaches. All of them know they have been failed by the FO in regards to Allen.

When you come off 8-28, and start 4-9 - that was where I wanted him gone. He is what he is. The 8-28 was not purely "Raiders were a dumpster fire". Hue Jackson went 8-8 the year before he took over, and Jack Del Rio won 19 games the 2 season after he left (Both of them were fired this month btw).

You could lengthen the fanbases frustration if you APPEARED to be trying. If you made moves, if you said something other that the same crap every week. But his record has been so bad, for so long that everyone see what he is at this point. Its so clearly obvious that Allen is not cut out to be a HC. He is literally the 3rd worst HC all time who coached 5 seasons. You dont wind up in the bronze medal of losers spot by being in any way, shape or form good.

And somehow he still has supporters here. People still making excuses for him.

It depends on the coach for me. For Dennis Allen, I had very little patience. Not just because he has been unsuccessful as a HC before, but its who he is as a leader, or lack thereof. The way DA talks, carries himself and his body language give me zero confidence in his ability to lead. Smart guy and can scheme a successful defense, but DA looks like he would prefer being up in the booth than down on the sidelines and in the battle with his guys. I could tell after a few weeks and last season that he was going to lose this team. Now the defense isn't even effective. I know a purely RARA coach isn't the answer either, but I'm willing to give a coach a longer leash if he's able to garner the respect of the players and motivate them to play up to the task at hand. Its working for Detroit. I hope Pierce gets a shot at HC with how he has his guys playing.

It takes both sides; a passion for the game with the the ability to motivate and the smarts to surround yourself with the right people and play the chess game. Not a lot of teams have that guy. I think we are going to need a lot of patience in the next couple of years. It might take a few tries to find that right fit at HC. Might take replacing the GM too. If DA is replaced with another convenience hire, then I won't have much patience.

Infinite patience since I got to see em win the Super Bowl.
I do hope they move on after the season tho.

I think DA is different because his Raiders tenure looms larger with every loss.
But I’d give the next coach three seasons unless it’s drastically bad.
Me too, unless we replace him with a similar retread like Raheem Morris or Steve Spagnuolo - then my patience is going to be zero. DA had an obviously terrible track record as HC but was given a serviceable roster more than capable of winning this awful division in 2022 and 2023.

If we replace him with a first time head coach, I'm going to let it play out, especially given our upcoming roster challenges. If we try to maintain our 'continuity' again, I'm back here with the pitchforks again.

First time head coach 2-3 years, established coach 1 year.

I don’t know what to think of this FO right now. Seems like they are in a fork in the road to how this franchise will operate. The choices are continue on the current path of trying to be competitive now OR tear it down to the ground and start from scratch with a new coach and a rookie QB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom