What would a Saints playoff berth mean (1 Viewer)

If we draft between say 16th-18th is that really so much different than drafting say 10th-12th? How much a player ultimately contributes to the team seems like pretty much a crapshoot in such a small range.
Consider this

The Saints missed out on Jordan Jefferson, Kenneth Murray, and Jalen Raegor( Picks 22,23,24)the year they took Cesar Ruiz. The year they terribly needed WR and LB help, and they had to settle for OL based on what was still available in their cloud.

So despite your assessment, a few slots can make a big difference in availability of players that fit your team at positions of potential higher need.

Consider this

The Saints missed out on Jordan Jefferson, Kenneth Murray, and Jalen Raegor( Picks 22,23,24)the year they took Cesar Ruiz. The year they terribly needed WR and LB help, and they had to settle for OL based on what was still available in their cloud.

So despite your assessment, a few slots can make a big difference in availability of players that fit your team at positions of potential higher need.
I'm sure it's easy to think of countless specific examples. It's just as easy to think of so many examples of players drafted earlier when there were players taken later that ended up being better. I mean, statistically, over decades of drafts, does overall performance difference end up being so much different within such a small range? I'm guessing yes, but hardly.

Last edited:
If a this team makes it to the playoffs it would be another sign of the decline of the NFL. When sub .500 teams start making the playoffs regularly it just diminishes the whole idea of what means to be a playoff contender.

not sure it was mentioned already but the 2010 Seattle playoff game, they were 7-9
to add insult to injury the Saints played away at Seattle, despite a superior W-L record

But before this expanded playoff bracket and extra 17th game, expect a sub .500 team to be seen more often

Bucs last year and the 2011 Giants might disagree with your sentiment.

I'm sure it's easy to think of countless specific examples. It's just as easy to think of so many examples of players drafted earlier when there were players taken later that ended up being better. I mean, statistically, over decades of drafts, does overall performance difference end up being so much different within such a small range? I'm guessing yes, but hardly.

I think, with a bad drafting team it potentially doesn’t make much of a different.

The Saints with Ireland in tow have done a good job of identifying talent, they just haven’t always been lucky enough to nab some of them

Any little boost you give them potentially helps.

There are men on the roster that may never make another NFL team. Or guys that may retire. And every player on the team is one freak injury away from their last game ever.

All the hours upon hours of meetings, practices, sitting in airplanes, airports, hotels. The time spent away from family.

It's not right or fair to say it's all meaningless just so we can move up a few spots in the draft. If that's the message you want to send your not living right imo.

As it was said earlier it means a shot at a SuperBowl.

Could be like the Vikings of 87. The Vikings that backed into the playoffs. Throttled us, San Francisco and came one play from making it to the Super Bowl against Washington. Unlikely but you never know should they get in.

This coming from someone who face palmed me for suggesting that Maybe the Saints ahouldnt bring back a WR who in his last 7 games has caught only 15/34 passes for 183 yards

If a this team makes it to the playoffs it would be another sign of the decline of the NFL. When sub .500 teams start making the playoffs regularly it just diminishes the whole idea of what means to be a playoff contender.

Combine that with the not just bad officiating, but the integrity of the officials concerning their impartiality, stupid rules making it near impossible to play D and the pricing the average fan out of the stadiums and you see a League that doesn't deserve the devotion of it's fans.

Free agency has made it almost impossible to keep a team together and the outcome is what we see today, mediocrity everywhere. There are very few good teams in the NFL anymore. It all comes down to the QB. What we're seeing in Tampa is like what you see in the NBA. Star players all flocking to a team to win a championship then moving on. It's why I quit watching basketball. And if it wasn't for the Saints I would have quit watching the NFL years ago.
To answer your question what it would mean is a damn good job by Sean Payton!!

you framed this like a question but i don't think you were asking a question :unsure:

anyhoo remember a decade ago when an 11-5 saints team lost to a team with a losing record in a playoff game?
i sure do
It really wasn't a question.

There really is no reason not to modernize officiating. With all the cameras you could have 21 or 15 officials in a booth, 3 watching each area of the field or specific matchups, buttons in front of them with every possible penalty. They can make calls almost instantly. If 2 of 3 press their penalty button it immediately goes to the referee on the field and he can throw the flag and announce the call.

That’s just one crazy, but I think doable, idea off the top of my head. There’re so many options to make officiating better with modern tech it’s ridiculous. There’s no shortage of money to do it.

(Also, make the officials explain all of their calls post game and mandate availability to the press.)
This exactly.

This coming from someone who face palmed me for suggesting that Maybe the Saints ahouldnt bring back a WR who in his last 7 games has caught only 15/34 passes for 183 yards
What are you talking about? Do you mean me? Who was the player?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom