Why does Rivers get this MVP love but, Brees didn't in 08' (1 Viewer)

To answer the OP's question, I think it may be a simple as this: Rivers is something like 6'5". Brees is 6'. I think there's a bias out there against short NFL QBs. I remember hearing Sapp on one of the NFL Network shows last year saying he'd take Peyton Manning over Drew in a heartbeat because Manning can see over the offensive line. Nevermind that Drew's stats were in many ways better than P. Manning's last year and, of course, he beat him in the SB. On my son's latest NFL video football game software (I think it's the newest Madden, but I'm not sure), Chris Collinsworth's voice is programmed into the game. Of course, my son always chooses to be the Saints, and whenever he plays a game Collinsworth's voice comes on saying something like, "Don't think that Brees doesn't have a good enough arm to make all the NFL throws. He's actually a big-play quarterback." Really? It's amazing that after all he's accomplished this is what is scripted into the game about Brees. It's as if the rest of the world can't comprehend that a guy his size can do everything he does so well. He just doesn't fit the picture of the archetypal QB. However, this is what keeps that chip on his shoulder and makes him want to be even better.

mark my words...rivers will not break marino's passing yards record.

Actually, back in 2008 Brees was in the discussions for MVP.... I remember them talking about it on the various pre-game shows. Usually it was that he was having an MVP type of year, but unless the Saints were playoff contenders he wouldn't be a strong candidate for MVP, sound familiar? That's the same kind of discussion I'm hearing for Rivers.

There's even still a few articles about it, like this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/11/25/brees/

So, it's actually the same argument for Rivers now as it was for Brees in '08. The name is brought up, but he's not a "real candidate" because of the team record. People may remember Brees being pretty much out of the running by the end of the year, but during the middle of the year, that was the discussion - whether you wanna call that media love for Brees or not.

And that's a real big problem with the MVP and judging QBs in general -- how quickly they forget. Archie Manning DID win the MVP while playing for a losing team because he was just that good. But now, voters can't bring themselves to vote for a Brees or a Rivers unless the team has a winning record.

QFT. Yeah, Brees didn't get the MVP, but his name was certainly being thrown around, so the point is moot.

On a side note, I believe Peterson will get the MVP if the Vikings make the post-season. Just my two cents.

mark my words...rivers will not break marino's passing yards record.
He needs to average a little over 305 yards/game to do it (a little over 303 yards/game to catch Brees and a little over 293 yards/game to join the 5000 yard club). Looking at the teams he has left there is a decent shot.

Broncos twice - 8th against the pass, but at 2-6 currently will Denver show up enough?
Colts - 7th against the pass; this could be a road bump as Indy will still be in it
Raiders - already lit them up for 431 yards
Chiefs - already lit them up for 298 yards
49ers - Currently 20th against the pass
Bengals - Currently 17th against the pass

I also hope he falls short of not only the record but also joining the 5000 yard club. However, averaging 300+ yards against the rest of that remaining schedule isn't beyond imagination.

Discussion about this going on at Peter King's Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/si_peterking

For one thing, our defense in 2008 was awful. If he gets to use the "their ST is awful" reasoning, then you should factor in how terrible our D was in '08. Secondly, didn't we lose Marques, Shockey, Reggie Bush for several games? Pretty important players I'd say. Third, in 2008, 8-8 was good for 4th place in our division. The AFC West isn't as awful as usual this year, but there will still be a team -probably two - that finishes below .500.

Not only that, but SD has one of the best defenses this season.

Rivers w/ a top offense + top defense + bad ST = 1st-half MVP
Brees w/ #1 offense + terrible defense + average ST = some MVP talk
Brees w/ #1 offense + good defense + below-average ST = some MVP talk

If in either 2008 or 2009, you swapped Peyton's numbers with Brees', they still would've given both to Manning. And it looks like Rivers may be next in line for this kinda treatment. Both are big physically-gifted guys who have laser arms. Those type of QBs always get more press and pub and recognition than the undersized QB.

I also hope he falls short of not only the record but also joining the 5000 yard club. However, averaging 300+ yards against the rest of that remaining schedule isn't beyond imagination.

I wouldn't mind if he joins the 5k club just so long as he ends up where he belongs, behind Drew Brees.

I wouldn't mind if he joins the 5k club just so long as he ends up where he belongs, behind Drew Brees.
I guess I just kinda like hearing "Drew Brees, one of only two QBs to throw for over 5000 yards".

I know eventually there will be a few more in the club since it's more common place to have 4000+ yards in a season. But I guess I'd like to see it take a few more seasons so that what Brees accomplished doesn't begin looking like the norm.

Archie Manning DID win the MVP while playing for a losing team because he was just that good. But now, voters can't bring themselves to vote for a Brees or a Rivers unless the team has a winning record.
Archie Manning was never a league MVP

It doesn't matter anyways. They'll just hand it to Manning anyways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom