Will Jason David start the first game of the season?? (1 Viewer)

There is a reason that the team isn't trying to replace Bullocks......he actually executed his assigments very well. The problem was the assignment. Notice that the safeties took over a lot of the LBers coverage assigments in order to free up the front seven to play the run. Opponents then manipulated those assigments to free up deep routes.

It's no accident that the Saints dramatically improved the run d without changing personnel. It came at thhe cost of deep coverage.

This is one of the most intelligent posts on this site. Did everyone forget we were 11th in the league against the pass and like 25th against the run in '06 and then with very little change in personel (actually we got back R. Harper and added J. David) we flip-flopped those rankings in '07. Did eveyone on the D just decide to play better against the run? NO. The assignments changed. This caused players (positions) who looked great one year to look horrible the next. Bullocks and Harper are fine. Not great, but fine. MM is a stud, kinda old, but a stud. God, I hope he is healthy. Last year our LB's had to sell out on the run which allowed teams to take advantage of our secondary. Why did they have to sell out on the run you ask? Because our front four couldn't do anything. Personally, I want a DT in the 1st and a LB in the 2nd. That gives us only one real hole on the D, and yes, that is our #2 corner. If you would have told me we would only have one hole on D to start the '08 season after watching last year, I would have laughed, but it is a possibility. That being said, if MM can't be ready fairly early in the season, or God forbid, not at all, then we must draft a CB at #10. If that is the case, DRC is the way to go. Gay and DRC start, Usama at nickel, David in dime.

Where are people getting this imformation that MM, will be ready for training camp?? I heard November. Is there new news??

Payton on WWL......someone put a link in the forum in the last few pays.......His comments on MM were that he was waaaay waaaay ahead of schedule.

There is a reason that the team isn't trying to replace Bullocks......he actually executed his assigments very well. The problem was the assignment. Notice that the safeties took over a lot of the LBers coverage assigments in order to free up the front seven to play the run. Opponents then manipulated those assigments to free up deep routes.

It's no accident that the Saints dramatically improved the run d without changing personnel. It came at thhe cost of deep coverage.

You bring up very valid points that I am sure played a role in horrible safety play. My point is that both in 2006 and 2007, our safeties, and consistantly Bullocks, have been very bad at play recognition. I have seen then bite hard on play action time after time, even in down and distances that are cleary passing. I have seen a fly route on one side with a post in the slot, and both safeties go after the same guy who isn't the deepest guy instead of one helping the corner while the other takes the slot reciever. I have seen countless bites on doublemoves that have thrown the safeties out of position horribly, and in almost all of these instances, there were only 2 or 3 WR's, and we were in Nickle. In other words, they guy a LB would normally start covering and let a safety pick up, like a TE or RB were either not running routes or running flats, swing passes, or 5 yard ins. The plays I am concerned with weren't the ones where the Safeties ran up to take over a route, but rather, the ones where it was obviously going to be a deep ball, and the safeties were deep the entire time, and still wound up in the wrong position. That is where I get angry.

David starts even if MM is healthy. SP does not admit mistakes. See double reverse play last year, game 13 + 14 I believe.

even if we go CB with our 1st round picks,,,it usally takes them later in the year if even at all to adjust to NFL speed schemes,,so no CB is gonna come in and instant start imo,,,Yes David will be a starting CB this year,,i think will utilize the whole roster lot of rotations,,,Gay Usama,,,Mckenzie when healthy the main stay,

Will he start? God I hope not. He might be a good nickel back but we've got one of those already in Randall Gay. It's obvious to the coaching staff as well as JD himself that he was a system guy at Indy. He cannot man-up. Plain and simple. We can't take the cap hit but I feel he will be exposed again this year and that will be his last with us.

Does he even deserve another start in our secondary after last season? I mean cmon he did so bad last year that people that dont even follow the Saints knows how bad he was. Or do we have so much money tied up in him we cant just let him ride the pine? Whats going to happen with him?

Man we could of put Fred Thomas back in there for the stuff Jason David did. There was no upgrade. I bet Thomas was lovin it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom